The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Rangers buy out Kevin Shattenkirk

55 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

I think the devils make a lot of sense

They've got the space and if they can get him on a shorter term contract the move could pay dividends. Jersey's been looking to bolster their offensive game and Shattenkirk could potentially help them. 

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I admit i don't watch a lot of Ranger games but Shattenkirk had 28 pts last season. Still a good point total for a defense man I wonder why the Rangers decided to buy him out?

I imagine it's more to do with cap reasons rather than play. I think Shattenkirk is still a legit player, they just couldn't afford him and they signed Trouba who will take over the top RD and Adam Fox will be utilized more most likely and Brendan Smith rounds out their right side.

Whoever can sign him could likely get him cheaper than market considering he has his buyout money now. Hopefully Toronto doesn't find a way to fit him in. Edmonton should jump on this, but maybe he doesn't want to sign there. We would need to move out someone like Tanev if we expect to bring him in.

This would be a good opportunity for new team to bring him in on a one year show me contract for like 1M. 

I think if he drops his rate to that price, any team will be able to fit him in. Question is, where would he want to go? 

I say he goes back to the Blues. Would be nice to add him to the Canucks but he would have to be teamed up with Edler to cover any potential defensive coverage issues.

A project well worth the risk at a low 1M salary. 

Edited by grandmaster

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I admit i don't watch a lot of Ranger games but Shattenkirk had 28 pts last season. Still a good point total for a defense man I wonder why the Rangers decided to buy him out?

Bad defense.  Doesn't matter how many points you put up if you can't acquit yourself in your own end.  

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I imagine it's more to do with cap reasons rather than play. I think Shattenkirk is still a legit player, they just couldn't afford him and they signed Trouba who will take over the top RD and Adam Fox will be utilized more most likely and Brendan Smith rounds out their right side.

Whoever can sign him could likely get him cheaper than market considering he has his buyout money now. Hopefully Toronto doesn't find a way to fit him in. Edmonton should jump on this, but maybe he doesn't want to sign there. We would need to move out someone like Tanev if we expect to bring him in.

I don't know why people think that.  Would you accept a lower salary from your employer just because they know you have money in the bank?

5 minutes ago, mephnick said:

We do not need a guy that can barely skate. We don't need to kick the tires on every guy with a name we recognize.

Rangers fans - praise jeebus we got rid of that overpaid bum

Canucks fans - we'll take him!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Crimson said:

I don't know why people think that.  Would you accept a lower salary from your employer just because they know you have money in the bank?

If you want to win a Cup and got money in the bank, why not? Join a contender for cheap. He's 30 turning 31 next season, so time is of the essence and I think I would in those circumstances. If he were to join Edmonton or something, then yes I would look to get paid market value.

3 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Going to be interesting to see what Rangers do now.

They only have $1m in cap space. Need to resign Lemieux and Deangelo.

Can they trade Namestnikov to clear some space?

They get another 1M and a roster spot by sending Beleskey to Hartford where he spent most of last season.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

They get another 1M and a roster spot by sending Beleskey to Hartford where he spent most of last season.

Sure but that won’t pay for Lemieux and Deangelo surely?

Unless they have the same agent as Labanc!