The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Rangers buy out Kevin Shattenkirk

6 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Okay, is anyone else sick of the Rangers being able to get out of their salary problems, only to have more salary problems, which they can constantly get out of?! Meanwhile...in Vancouver....

I'm not sure $6 million in cap penalties via the buyout is "getting out of" anything

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

If the Rangers couldn't even dump Shattenkirk's contract (M-NTC NMC; they must have had limited options) to an NHL club with a trade and were forced to buy him out, I don't see how we could move LE and his contract to another team without adding significant sweetners.

Sigh.

:(

Shattenkirk will be a great buy low candidate. If he stays healthy during a season he is almost a lock for 40+ points. Still relatively young and has had a decent career outside these past couple years in the big apple.

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Amongst our regulars last season, he put up more points (28) and at a higher rate than anyone in our top-4 not named Edler (higher than Stecher, Hutton, Tanev).  

If it wasn't that price tag (and if we hadn't signed Myers already) he would've been a value guy who can be sheltered in an offensive role (Stecher/ Tanev take the defensive minutes), and I feel like someone would scoop him up for cheap and reap the benefits like how Dallas likely would with Perry.

If Shattenkirk is getting buyout money he could likely take a 1 year low money deal with a cup contending team to restore his market value.  

Maybe JB could entice him with a spot on the PP with Hughes, Ep40, Boeser and Horvat.  

Somehow I doubt it, feel the Shero swoops in and brings him to NJ.  

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

If the Rangers couldn't even dump Shattenkirk's contract (M-NTC NMC; they must have had limited options) to an NHL club with a trade and were forced to buy him out, I don't see how we could move LE and his contract to another team without adding significant sweetners.

Sigh.

:(

Shattenkirk will be a great buy low candidate. If he stays healthy during a season he is almost a lock for 40+ points. Still relatively young and has had a decent career outside these past couple years in the big apple.

The oilers moved Lucic.  Anything is possible.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

If Shattenkirk is getting buyout money he could likely take a 1 year low money deal with a cup contending team to restore his market value.  

Maybe JB could entice him with a spot on the PP with Hughes, Ep40, Boeser and Horvat.  

Somehow I doubt it, feel the Shero swoops in and brings him to NJ.  

Yuck.  No place on this team for a defenseman who can't play defense.  We finally are going into a season without one of Pouliot, Larsen, or Weber, and people are advocating bringing in another liability in the defensive zone?  No thanks.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yuck.  No place on this team for a defenseman who can't play defense.  We finally are going into a season without one of Pouliot, Larsen, or Weber, and people are advocating bringing in another liability in the defensive zone?  No thanks.

For 1m on a 1 year deal.  I would take a flyer on him.  

If he doesn't pan out, JB can easily unload him, if he does bounce back we could, if nothing else, flip him for a decent  pick or prospect.  

No real down side IMO

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

For 1m on a 1 year deal.  I would take a flyer on him.  

If he doesn't pan out, JB can easily unload him, if he does bounce back we could, if nothing else, flip him for a decent  pick or prospect.  

No real down side IMO

The down side is that Myers, Edler, Tanev, Hughes, Stecher,, Benn, Biega, Fantenberg, Sautner, Briesbrois, and OJ are all better than him.  He'd be wasting a spot that could be used to develop a defensemaqn who can actually play at the NHL level in his own end.  Shattenkirk isn't just a bad contract, he's a horrible player.  You don't win with defensemen who are incapable of actually playing defense.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think you're onto something with Edmonton.

Shattenkirk will be a player who makes a lot of extra money because he was bought out.

was it Lecavalier who was bought out twice?

Money is not everything. He may not want to go to Edmonton...

wonder why no Gardiner talk there?

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Shattenkirk will be a player who makes a lot of extra money because he was bought out.

they don't have the cap space. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Lucky bastard. 

Really? Once in Philadelphia and once in Los Angeles?

Nowadays, who the (expletive deleted) does?

Gardiner May have to take a pay cut. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Okay, is anyone else sick of the Rangers being able to get out of their salary problems, only to have more salary problems, which they can constantly get out of?! Meanwhile...in Vancouver....

We need to find out the "Ranger rule". 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'm not sure $6 million in cap penalties via the buyout is "getting out of" anything

No, but they figure out how to lose the player if they don't perform and are always in on any big player. Not that THAT part is a big deal. It's just kind of a WTF thing. Say if Panarin sh!+$ the bed in a couple years, they'll get to lose him so quickly, it's not even funny.

• Cheers 1