The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] A change in skate profile could make Elias Pettersson even harder to handle next season

Rate this topic

Drive-By Body Pierce

3 hours ago, sonoman said:

Read this yesterday.  Played beer league for years but never really organized hockey.  Knew about different cuts for blade sharpness but was totally oblivious to blade profiles.  Unfortunately due to a second Labral tear of my right shoulder, my hockey “career” is done.

The year when Bure started they were saying he had a very specific rocker that he wanted his skates ground and sharpened to, one that no one had seen before but it was done in the Soviet Union. That was the first i had ever heard about edge profiles but i had been away from hockey for ten years as well. I find it fascinating how they figure these things out :)

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, canucksnhl said:

That's awesome! I'm even more excited for the season. 

I'm thinking he's becomes the fastest skater in the NHL by the end of the year 2019.

EP40 ~ 19/20 - BOLD PREDICTION: 40 goals 64 assists 104 points

source.gif

Its a nice dream but the reality is he would already be there if he was going to be the fastest. I think at this point it is just to get any increased advantage over others as best he can.

2 hours ago, nergish said:

I noticed his helmet looked more snug, less like a life-sized bobble head!

The kid is an absolute beauty though. He looks incredible out there.

I like when the amateur people who fuss over the minor details (like tape-jobs, equipment, edges, or whatever) meet with truly skilled athletes who don't know the small advantages those things can provide to their game.

I know in a 1040 interview, Kevin Woodley mentioned that Markstrom never really cared to demo different pads, he just used what he knew.

Last season you can literally point to the game he switched from Bauer to CCM as a turning point in his play. 

Sometimes it really is that simple.

I really don't know about 'that simple'... I mean, we'll see with Petey, it will probably help... How much, probably small % in the bigger picture.  Regardless, Petey's looking for any angle to improve, and THAT attitude is why he will reach greatness.  As for Markstrom... His 'turning point' wasn't the pads (helped yes) it was Ian Clarke... Period.

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How did the Canucks not realize that his skate profile wasn't optimal, or that it was at least strange, and not recommend a change? Assuming that this change will improve his play. Maybe, Petey is so good because he got so used to the same skate profile.

It's not their job to micromanage a player's equipment. Players can be superstitious, and if something works for them they can stick with it for the psychological effect even over any technical advantage.

13 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

he also mentioned that he wanted to be as fast as Connor Mcdavid and he was working towards that.  Dude is just insane.

He could be one of the few players that can handle at the speed McDavid does. Interesting to see the effect this'll have next year.

Edited by elvis15
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

he also mentioned that he wanted to be as fast as Connor Mcdavid and he was working towards that.  Dude is just insane.

Because he wants to be the best... His drive 'never stop' improving mentality might very well get him there.  We are so fortunate to have him.

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

About 30 years ago i decided to be a Scotch drinker... Every Friday night i would go to the local pup and order a scotch or two and try to find that taste that everyone raves about... never did happen a month into it and i gave up! I seriously believe that scotch is the worst tasting beverage ever made!!

well, there is beer, and wine and vodka and creme de menth... ok nobody actually drinks creme de menth, but the others

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How did the Canucks not realize that his skate profile wasn't optimal, or that it was at least strange, and not recommend a change? Assuming that this change will improve his play. Maybe, Petey is so good because he got so used to the same skate profile.

“I liked the Quad Zero the best,” said Pettersson, and when asked if he will use it in the upcoming season, he smiled and then laughed. “It’s going to be a switch. It will be a switch today already.” 

In Swedish to English translation, I read that as "&^@# yeah! Those were sick! I am not waiting for training camp, I am switching today!"

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

About 30 years ago i decided to be a Scotch drinker... Every Friday night i would go to the local pup and order a scotch or two and try to find that taste that everyone raves about... never did happen a month into it and i gave up! I seriously believe that scotch is the worst tasting beverage ever made!!

There are so many names I want to call you 

Guess I'll settle for peasant.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I really don't know about 'that simple'... I mean, we'll see with Petey, it will probably help... How much, probably small % in the bigger picture.  Regardless, Petey's looking for any angle to improve, and THAT attitude is why he will reach greatness.  As for Markstrom... His 'turning point' wasn't the pads (helped yes) it was Ian Clarke... Period.

There is a basic underlying concept that every professional athlete relies on - comfort.

They can’t perform if they’re not comfortable.

With comfort comes freedom. The freedom to perform and execute movements, the abilities that set them a part as players.

Clarke helped Markstrom become more controlled, but his gear determines his comfort.

4 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Ya poor sod. The key to scotch is getting the right mix of scotch and water hopefully with melting ice. When you achieve that it tastes like candy. 

• Haha 1