The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders sign Derick Brassard

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  Avs have young assets and picks.  They could make a very nice offer for Connor, and keep Mac too.  

Rantanen, Jost, Makar, Byram, Zadorov.  They got lots of young guys they could package up and they will have the cap space in 2 years with MacKinnon on a super friendly deal and Landeskog and Cole will be a UFA's which will free up almost $10 million right there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I honestly have no idea what Holland’s plan is, has he talked about it?

So far they’ve done very little this offseason. If their plan is to keep building through the draft it’s gonna be at least 4 years till they see results without guarantees. Is McDavid really that patient?

Most GM's take some time to evaluate the team before crafting a plan

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Holland is going to do in Edmonton what he did in Detroit, which is to build through the draft.  And yes it will be 4 years at least until they see results.  That's why I think a McDavid trade will happen within the next 2 years.  It will speed up the rebuild.  McDavid will not tolerate another 4 years of losing in a crappy city.  With Gretzky it was different because within 2 years of moving to the NHL they already had a contender and made the final in the 4th year.  With McDavid they will be lucky to even make the playoffs in the next 4 years.

They will be able to get a major haul for McDavid, possibly enough to rebuild the team the proper way.  Not sure if Holland will be successful though as it's impossible to attract free agents to Edmonton even with McDavid on the team.  My bet is they will be a bottom feeder for many years to come and most likely they will not get anywhere near what they want to get in a McDavid trade.  The problem they are gonna have is only a few teams will be able to fit him under the cap and those teams may not have the assets the Oilers need to get back in order to properly rebuild their team.  

Edmonton got lucky in the draft to get McDavid.  Unfortunately for them he will end up turning into more of a liability for them than an asset.  If their previous first overall picks had panned out and they kept Taylor Hall who could have played with McDavid things might have worked out differently for them.  But their luck ran out years ago.  They got lucky with Gretzky and the gang and won 5 cups.  I don't think they will ever get that lucky again in our lifetime.

Holland is going to have to be careful with McDavid.  He'll find himself lynched if he tries to move on from the savior.  The good news is that I think they have the bones of a good team.  The core is fine and there are good players on the way.  The question for me is the culture and character of the team.  

And what about Poolparty?  I hope for there sake that they can figure this guy out.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Most GM's take some time to evaluate the team before crafting a plan

Holland is going to have to be careful with McDavid.  He'll find himself lynched if he tries to move on from the savior.  The good news is that I think they have the bones of a good team.  The core is fine and there are good players on the way.  The question for me is the culture and character of the team.  

And what about Poolparty?  I hope for there sake that they can figure this guy out.

Most GMs would have a game plan that they would have to sell to ownership before getting the job.

• Upvote 1

As much as I like the Isles, kinda wish he signed in Edmonton. Ya hate to see talented players like McDavid and Draisaitl waste away. Brassard would have given them a 3rd line center allowing Nuge to play top 6 wing. But, nobody really wants to be in Edmonton even with a draw like McDavid. From what I hear the city is meh and the organization has been a joke for a long time. Good pick up for the Islanders though, low risk.

I actually think Edmonton might turn it around sooner than later. Tyler Benson just had a point per game rookie season in the AHL and Evan Bouchard should be a top 4 D in no time. 

Marody made the transition from NCAA to pro seamlessly and had 64 points in 59 games as an AHL rookie.

That's a centre, a winger, and a D man who should all be pushing for spots this fall.

Yamamoto and Broberg are probably another year away, but there is more help coming from within the org, and they aren't rushing guys in imediately after the draft anymore.

Edited by MattJVD

On 8/22/2019 at 1:35 PM, MattJVD said:

I actually think Edmonton might turn it around sooner than later. Tyler Benson just had a point per game rookie season in the AHL and Evan Bouchard should be a top 4 D in no time. 

Marody made the transition from NCAA to pro seamlessly and had 64 points in 59 games as an AHL rookie.

That's a centre, a winger, and a D man who should all be pushing for spots this fall.

Yamamoto and Broberg are probably another year away, but there is more help coming from within the org, and they aren't rushing guys in imediately after the draft anymore.

It's been over a decade hearing that kinda talk...I'm not gonna hold my breath

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2019 at 1:59 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I thought he was going to Edmonton to play with McJesus?  :frantic:

for some reason I thought he was super injury prone... looking at his numbers again i'm happy Edmonton lost out on him :lol:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

When in the last decade (not including lockout) did they have point per game AHL rookies?

Oh, so don't include their multiple number 1 draft pick players? Yeah, cherry pick the stats all you like. There has been hype around the Oil turning the page for a decade...still waiting.

Just now, falcon45ca said:

Oh, so don't include their multiple number 1 draft pick players? Yeah, cherry pick the stats all you like. There has been hype around the Oil turning the page for a decade...still waiting.

Yes, don't include them. They have been having top end picks go straight to the NHL for that decade. I'm saying what is different about today vs the rest of their rediculously long rebuild is they have later draft picks and good complementary players succeeding in the A. That has been their failure before, that's why it's different today.