The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning trying to get to "common ground" with Boeser

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Brock stuff  

376 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Guys!

Question: Can Brock simply tell his agent to take a deal in order to get him playing, even if its not a good one? Or is an agent completely in charge of negotiations?

I apologize for such a simple, and possibly stupid question. For all my hockey knowledge, I don't have a good understanding of the inter workings of contract negotiations. Would like someone to explain to me whose the real boss, Brock or his agent

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Hey Guys!

Question: Can Brock simply tell his agent to take a deal in order to get him playing, even if its not a good one? Or is an agent completely in charge of negotiations?

I apologize for such a simple, and possibly stupid question. For all my hockey knowledge, I don't have a good understanding of the inter workings of contract negotiations. Would like someone to explain to me whose the real boss, Brock or his agent

Yes, as his agent works for him, he would be presented with every offer, then "advised" by his agent on what he should do, but ultimately the decision is up to him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Hey Guys!

Brock's 22 years old. Of course he's going to have an experienced representative negotiating for him. Yes Brock is the guy who signs but he's going to be taking the advice of an experienced agent. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Brock's 22 years old. Of course he's going to have an experienced representative negotiating for him. Yes Brock is the guy who signs but he's going to be taking the advice of an experienced agent. 

1 minute ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Yes, as his agent works for him, he would be presented with every offer, then "advised" by his agent on what he should do, but ultimately the decision is up to him.

Thats what i figured. Thanks.

So in the current scenario, it really is Brock's choice to not be at camp, by not accepting whatever offer is on the table. Obviously not knowing what the offer is it's hard to say whether Brock is making a good/bad choice.... but it does lean towards him not being much of a team player. Or am I oversimplifying things too much?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

So in the current scenario, it really is Brock's choice to not be at camp, by not accepting whatever offer is on the table. Obviously not knowing what the offer is it's hard to say whether Brock is making a good/bad choice.... but it does lean towards him not being much of a team player. Or am I oversimplifying things too much?

don't go there, his team mates want him to get all he can. People have the right to negotiate on their behalf, it doesn't make them bad people. We have no idea what the terms being discussed are, or what you'd do in his position.

There's lots of examples of actual bad team mates out there, this isn't one of them. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

He's young and inexperienced with these things, he knows* hockey, not business, he would be trusting his agent to do whats best for him.

Edit: adds an s to "Knows"

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

don't go there, his team mates want him to get all he can. People have the right to negotiate on their behalf, it doesn't make them bad people. We have no idea what the terms being discussed are, or what you'd do in his position.

There's lots of examples of actual bad team mates out there, this isn't one of them. 

14 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

He's young and inexperienced with these things, he knows* hockey, not business, he would be trusting his agent to do whats best for him.

Edit: adds an s to "Knows"

Gotcha, thanks guys.

2 hours ago, kacholu said:

I like how you completely ignore the main point and address something that I didn't even state my opinion on. 

Seems like I triggered you with not blindly hopping into the JB lovefest 

I didn't ignore anything. Love how you are trying to deflect, while in the process exposing yourself as another Benning hater looking for ways to take shots at him, then crying about it when called out on it.

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

Hey Guys!

The agent works for Brock.  Brock can tell him at any time to take a deal. The last offer, the last offer plus "something".  He is the one who makes the final decision.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if you're going to possibly lose him due to a super high QO on a 4 year deal anyway, then its palatable. Also makes him more tradable as a UFA rental if need be. 

part of the reason I can see a trade being a possibility is that BB is the odd man out down the road anyway, imo.  They won't be able to keep all these young stars, at least one of them will have to go in the next 5 years I think.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Live from training camp folks.

Its. Happening.

20190913_112700.jpg

Can't they find him a private room in at the Save on Foods center?  It's a nice place with a lot of rooms.  Hey JB, go take that call in the parking lot and watch out for the dump trucks!  We are busy here.

• Haha 2

Sign the deal and come to camp, Brock. You have no other choice, what else can you do? Sit the year then for a half a mil difference. I am sure that’s is very smart. God, these young players these days need some real education and life experience 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

agreed that teammates would never be resentful towards other teammates because of money......well, most wouldn't anyway

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Hey Guys!

Of course....the sleezy agents are EMPLOYEES of the players. The players can do whatever they want including firing them.