The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, IRR said:

That’s definitely fair, but it can be discussed without the unjustified negativity / hate! Why would it be unreasonable to discuss where Virtanen is at / where he need to get to in a constructive manner????

True.  We need Jake to do whatever it takes to help us win games.  IMO that level of compete should come out in battle drills.  I didn’t like seeing Jake lie on the ice in a drill against Hughes.  Off the ice high compete guys don’t need to be pushed to be their best.  They just do it, because that’s who they are.  They need to win, or die trying.  

Can that level of compete be taught?  We need Jake to learn it.  We need Jake angry.  But angry at himself.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True.  We need Jake to do whatever it takes to help us win games.  IMO that level of compete should come out in battle drills.  I didn’t like seeing Jake lie on the ice in a drill against Hughes.  Off the ice high compete guys don’t need to be pushed to be their best.  They just do it, because that’s who they are.  They need to win, or die trying.  

Can that level of compete be taught?  We need Jake to learn it.  We need Jake angry.  But angry at himself.  

There def expectations as far as where Jake needs to get to. Some don’t have to have a word said to them (Petey) and some need to be pushed / guided. But, that’s no different than other parts of life...I’ve been a manager and I’m a parent. The same things apply in those roles as well. We’re all human (Well, except you. Lol!) and we’re all different, which is what makes us who we are. Clearly Jake is someone that needs some extra push / guidance and hopefully he gets it / gets there soon. Let’s just enjoy all the good things headed into the season. Go Canucks Go! 

Edited by IRR
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The worst thing we did with JV was pick him at 6 overall, followed by pasting his picture everywhere in his rookie year as our young savior.

He doesn't have the maturity of Horvat, Boeser, Petey and probably never will, but he has the tools to be a steady 20 goal guy for a number of years.

I want that light bulb to light up one morning for him as he could be a monster for us in the playoffs especially, and be that game breaker who can over power a team when the checking really gets tough.

Here's hoping i go through a flat of beer celebrating his goals this year!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

The guy is coming off a solid season on a very cheap deal for what he brings.  The media morons seize on one quote and the legions of disgusting people follow like sheep.

Yep! And the crazy part is the quote never specified...sure people can’t jump to conclusions based on what’s said / happening, but at the end of the day, there’s no facts to back it up. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

The guy is coming off a solid season on a very cheap deal for what he brings.  The media morons seize on one quote and the legions of disgusting people follow like sheep.

Thought this thread got locked last night for this type of thing. 

10 minutes ago, kirk mcleans baby said:

I know it starts at 10am, hence why I mentioned that lol, but I was hoping that someone who has been to one already could tell me if they got in early, or just came right at event time!  Thanks tho  :)

I have been able to get in a good 45 mins early.  They usually have just a couple goalies on before the main group.

Edited by Knucklehd
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

My favourite Canucks twitter account right here :

At some point Bonino was up first in the shootout... and it really impacted this guy.

Doesn't this account post this every day? I laugh when I stumble upon it occasionally when searching for Canuck news on the Twitter.

9 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

The worst thing we did with JV was pick him at 6 overall, followed by pasting his picture everywhere in his rookie year as our young savior.

He doesn't have the maturity of Horvat, Boeser, Petey and probably never will, but he has the tools to be a steady 20 goal guy for a number of years.

I want that light bulb to light up one morning for him as he could be a monster for us in the playoffs especially, and be that game breaker who can over power a team when the checking really gets tough.

Here's hoping i go through a flat of beer celebrating his goals this year!

He would have been a 20 goal last year, if healthy.  Thanks a lot Bin Laden