The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I find it puzzling why Jake would duck fans and not sign autographs on back to back days when every other player is willing to do that. If this isn't an acceptable time for him to do that for the fans...I dont know when is. This is a low pressure time, it is the start of camp, not like its the stretch drive for a playoff run or something...

A pro athlete has to be professional on and off the ice. If fans didnt pay to go watch the games athletes would make less $. If he doesn't like the pressure of playing here then he needs to go have a talk with JB if he isn't willing to put in the work or be graceful towards the fans and spend a small amount of time signing autographs.

I agree but he’s probably really embarrassed (which I hope he is and that’s a good thing). I’m sure he also realized how much competition there is and he sees guys like Beagle, Petey, Bo showing up the way they did and maybe the team peer pressure finally hit him. Maybe he’s also realizing he let his teammates down and is losing their respect, they want a player to be his best for the team as well, they want to win. That pressure is probably the best way to force it out of him. This is why vets like the twins and Burr, Beagle, Edler matter. This is why Edmonton busts players, that internal pressure can make players get in line. 

Let’s hope he learned from this and it sticks. Sad for some fans to not have the chance but he’s done a lot in the community in general. 

Edited by Freddy40
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

I think Jake’s family is on here and very angry!

Funny how defensive people are about him when it’s reality he didn’t come to camp in shape.

As a kid who was 6th overall, was “starting to get it”, and needed to show it had sunk in by training hard in the offseason (especially given the competition for top 6 spots now, and that it’s a contract year), to defend coming into camp out of shape by trying to argue “well they didn’t say it”, is absurd. I guess common sense is not all that common. 

Wouldn’t it have been nice if he had trained like Bo, Petey, Beagle, came into camp lean, looking like he put in the work, so much so Green was complimenting him and putting him with Petey as a reward? Isn’t that what he should have tried to accomplish? Instead he’s out with minor leaguers first day as punishment, that’s not because he overslept, it’s not because he didn’t watch enough Netflix movies Green wanted him to watch in the offseason. Grab a brain and a dose of reality. 

instead people try to pretend the issue we know is the issue, is not the issue. Maybe green knows the Vancouver media well enough and doesn’t want to make a bigger stink than needed (aka keep it in house) which is being a good coach. 

That doesn’t change the fact that the ONLY offseason goals that a coach has for a player that are tested for on the first day are fitness related, and that’s when this came out. Be silly and put your head in the sand as you please, most rational people know what 2+2 equals. 

You based it off interviews, that said nothing to support your claim.....

out of jakes draft I'm okay with him... Better then Bennett or dal cole...... Didn't want soft nylander......

maybe next summer cap(bo) will take him under his wing or ferland.....

I think you need a time out or maybe a nap..... 

It could have been that he skipped  media.....you don't know. Also it's practice/ training camp. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

You based it off interviews, that said nothing to support your claim.....

out of jakes draft I'm okay with him... Better then Bennett or dal cole...... Didn't want soft nylander......

maybe next summer cap(bo) will take him under his wing or ferland.....

I think you need a time out or maybe a nap..... 

It could have been that he skipped  media.....you don't know. Also it's practice/ training camp. 

It’s actually about commitment. And if you think Jake has the level of talent in hockey relative to Iverson in basketball I’m not sure what you’re watching. And if you know anything about that video, Iverson as great as he was, was raked over the coals for suggesting he was too good to practice. That’s your defense? Jake’s so good he doesn’t need to be in shape? Lol 

it seems that you believe it’s ok for Jake to be not be prepared for camp because it’s preseason and he’s so good. Tell that to two hall of famers who’s numbers will be retired this season who were consistently the fittest on the Canucks until they retired, to Bo, Petey, Crosby, McKinnon - I’m sure since they are so much better than Jake they should just come into camp not ready too right? They are some of the fittest and best hockey players to play the game, now and in the past. Why? Why do they care about fitness? Just to beat a test? Or maybe it matters for pro athletes to be in the best shape they can be in?

Dude your comments are complete nonsense. 

Take care.

Edited by Freddy40

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

In person today, Jake is noticeably not in the shape he should be in. Everyone else looks trim and fit and he looks like he didn't take his offseason as serious as he should have. It's disappointing he still hasn't woken up yet.

I can attest to being one of those body types that in 6 weeks can bulk up quickly but can shed it just as quick.  Much like yesterday if he is truly out of shape that's not a good sign but this is way to early to tell as any number of players come to camp 10-20 pounds heavier than when they finished the season

• Cheers 4

Just now, Freddy40 said:

It’s actually about commitment. And if you think Jake has the level of talent in hockey relative to Iverson in basketball I’m not sure what you’re watching.

it seems it’s ok for Jake to be not be prepared for camp because it’s preseason. Tell that to to hall of famers who’s numbers will be retired this season, to Bo, Petey, Stech, Crosby, McKinnon - I’m sure since they are so much better than Jake they should just come into camp not ready too right? Dude your comments are complete nonsense. 

Take care.

No I don't compare Jake to iverson.....I was pointing out pre season hasn't even started and boom your all over the guy. 

Not one of the interviews you quoted backed you up...

Mckinnon weight has been up an down his first couple years in the league too....even Bert took some time to find that right weight.....

A lot of big players or players that play the way Jake does have problems with their weight big buff comes to mind....

Stech will probably never have his number retired and if stech showed up out of shape he wouldn't have a job.....

also I had a problem you using interviews to prove your point , that proved nothing....learn to read an article and quotes start " and finish " like that, everything else or around it is written by the reporter 

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I can attest to being one of those body types that in 6 weeks can bulk up quickly but can shed it just as quick.  Much like yesterday if he is truly out of shape that's not a good sign but this is way to early to tell as any number of players come to camp 10-20 pounds heavier than when they finished the season

I watched him closely today as well, and maybe I am biased because I saw him skate terribly yesterday, but I thought he kept up just fine, both in intensity and conditioning.  Sure he isn't in the same shape as Bo or Beagle, but he kept up.  He also threw his weight around periodically too, so, in comparison to yesterday, it was a vast improvement.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

It’s actually about commitment. And if you think Jake has the level of talent in hockey relative to Iverson in basketball I’m not sure what you’re watching. And if you know anything about that video, Iverson as great as he was, was raked over the coals for suggesting he was too good to practice. That’s your defense? Jake’s so good he doesn’t need to be in shape? Lol 

it seems that you believe it’s ok for Jake to be not be prepared for camp because it’s preseason and he’s so good. Tell that to two hall of famers who’s numbers will be retired this season who the fittest on the Canucks until they retired, to Bo, Petey, Crosby, McKinnon -

Some of my favourite Canucks were alcoholic chain smokers and will always be hall of fame players.  The Rocket smoked half a pack a game between periods.  Byfuglien eats almost 8,000 calories a day in the off season by his own words.

Come on man...being a bit out of it come training camp is nothing to whine about.  Wellfed looked like Jake did 2 years ago mid season.

We need to stop making something out of nothing because no matter what he looked like yesterday he looks entirely better today

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I find it puzzling why Jake would duck fans and not sign autographs on back to back days when every other player is willing to do that. If this isn't an acceptable time for him to do that for the fans...I dont know when is. This is a low pressure time, it is the start of camp, not like its the stretch drive for a playoff run or something...

A pro athlete has to be professional on and off the ice. If fans didnt pay to go watch the games athletes would make less $. If he doesn't like the pressure of playing here then he needs to go have a talk with JB if he isn't willing to put in the work or be graceful towards the fans and spend a small amount of time signing autographs.

I find it puzzling anyone over the age of 7 would ask a 23 year old for autographs.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Freddy40 said:

I like Jake fan boi so settle down. It doesn’t mean the criticism of him 4 years into his career coming to camp again out of shape when he should have learned, is unwarranted. He’s a grown man now not an 18 yr old rookie who doesn’t know better or know what the expectations are. You can pretend it’s acceptable, I don’t agree, nor did Green apparently. 

PS he’s no Bertuzzi or Cam Neely. Doesn’t have the hands of Bert nor the hands and drive of Neely. Can he be a 25 goal player, sure but not by coming to camp out of shape. And his rope is getting to the point of being gone with this franchise soon if he doesn’t get it soon  

He’s going into his draft+6 season and posters are still coming to his defense when he makes stupid decisions.

It’s unfortunate to see him so visibly out of shape in person, but what’s probably more unfortunate is that people are still hell-bent on holding his hand and treating him like the kid we drafted. 

7 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

No I don't compare Jake to iverson.....I was pointing out pre season hasn't even started and boom your all over the guy. 

Not one of the interviews you quoted backed you up...

Mckinnon weight has been up an down his first couple years in the league too....even Bert took some time to find that right weight.....

A lot of big players or players that play the way Jake does have problems with their weight big buff comes to mind....

Stech will probably never have his number retired and if stech showed up out of shape he wouldn't have a job.....

also I had a problem you using interviews to prove your point , that proved nothing....learn to read an article and quotes start " and finish " like that, everything else or around it is written by the reporter 

It was, so he went out and hired a dietician who thoroughly assessed him and laid out an intensive diet plan for Nate to follow (which he does). He did that at a younger age than Jake. 

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Same here. I don't think it'll take him long. I said earlier that he looked ok today. He was visibly behind in every drill and skating, and that sucks, but it's obvious no one is giving up on him just yet. I like Green's sheltered approach with this.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

I watched him closely today as well, and maybe I am biased because I saw him skate terribly yesterday, but I thought he kept up just fine, both in intensity and conditioning.  Sure he isn't in the same shape as Bo or Beagle, but he kept up.  He also threw his weight around periodically too, so, in comparison to yesterday, it was a vast improvement.

That's really good to know actually.

I think 20+ pages have been a lot of nothing regarding his potential level of fitness.  

It's a concern if he looks out of shape but I won't make an issue of it until it becomes an actual issue

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

It was, so he went out and hired a dietician who thoroughly assessed him and laid out an intensive diet plan for Nate to follow (which he does). He did that at a younger age than Jake. 

I think would be a great idea for Jake but not all players go that way....some just learn it better the hard way. The hard way worked out for big buff....I think green will fix Jake up.....Jake usually follows the coaches weight goals....that's one of the reason Jake got huge if I remember right, back when willie was here....Its a balance act. A lot of big players go threw it......

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Some of my favourite Canucks were alcoholic chain smokers and will always be hall of fame players.  The Rocket smoked half a pack a game between periods.  Byfuglien eats almost 8,000 calories a day in the off season by his own words.

Come on man...being a bit out of it come training camp is nothing to whine about.  Wellfed looked like Jake did 2 years ago mid season.

We need to stop making something out of nothing because no matter what he looked like yesterday he looks entirely better today

Sure dude, but the game has changed and so have expectations of teammates and the team. Players are training harder, eating smarter and “year round pros” now. The days of Lafleur smoking in the room between periods, Krutov and his Hot Dogs are over. 

There’s a reason for that expectation, because camp is shorter, competition is stronger, and games are faster and harder. 

Look, it’s obvious he wasn’t ready for camp. He should have been one of the fittest given his history, his competition and to simply show he’s learned to be a pro. He disappointed the coach, his teammates and fans. Hopefully this is the last time, because if he does it again, he’ll be traded I’m sure of that .

i don’t want that, because I want him to “get it” here. But I’m also not going to ignore the issue and pretend it’s not real like many here.

Edited by Freddy40