The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

Sure dude, but the game has changed and so have expectations of teammates and the team. Players are training harder, eating smarter and “year round pros” now. The days of Lafleur smoking in the room between periods, Krutov and his Hot Dogs are over. 

There’s a reason for that expectation, because camp is shorter, competition is stronger, and games are faster and harder. 

Look, it’s obvious he wasn’t ready for camp. He should have been one of the fittest given his history, his competition and to simply show he’s learned to be a pro. He disappointed the coach, his teammates and fans. Hopefully this is the last time, because if he does it again, he’ll be traded I’m sure of that .

i don’t want that, because I want him to “get it” here. But I’m also not going to ignore the issue and pretend it’s not real like many here.

If he scores 20 goals this year, which is possible, then I think everyone will forget about his lack of fitness to start training camp...much like it is accepted that Byfuglien is notoriously over weight coming into camp.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Knucklehd said:

If he scores 20 goals this year, which is possible, then I think everyone will forget about his lack of fitness to start training camp...much like it is accepted that Byfuglien is notoriously over weight coming into camp.

I agree but Buff or even Kessel have proven they can still deliver. I don’t think you can compare Jake to either of those players give their elite status From very early in their careers. 

And to to be honest, I still think those guys are an embarrassment. You’re a pro athlete, be in the best shape you can be in, and you’ll be the best you can be. 

Edited by Freddy40
  • Wat 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

Hit pass fight pass shoot pass score celebrate

Has that somehow changed over the summer?

You can say he "obviously wasn't ready for camp" but judging by his effort today he was and is just fine.

If there's an issue there's an issue but after seeing his effort today vs the whinging over the last 36 hours I'd say the issue is in the comments section not on the ice

I’ll trust how Green reacts (as he did) and how he deploys him. That will tell us all. Jake’s not doing himself any favours and he’s not going to breakout by being in the doghouse day one. It’s unprofessional plain and simple. 

Yep they still skate shoot and score, but you have to have the stamina to stay out for 45 seconds and go hard for the full game and the whole season. If everyone else is training like fiends what happens? You leave the ice after 25 seconds, remember that Jake? I don’t think we need that Jake back 

1 hour ago, Freddy40 said:

I think Jake’s family is on here and very angry!

Funny how defensive people are about him when it’s reality he didn’t come to camp in shape.

As a kid who was 6th overall, was “starting to get it”, and needed to show it had sunk in by training hard in the offseason (especially given the competition for top 6 spots now, and that it’s a contract year), to defend coming into camp out of shape by trying to argue “well they didn’t say it”, is absurd. I guess common sense is not all that common. 

Wouldn’t it have been nice if he had trained like Bo, Petey, Beagle, came into camp lean, looking like he put in the work, so much so Green was complimenting him and putting him with Petey as a reward? Isn’t that what he should have tried to accomplish? Instead he’s out with minor leaguers first day as punishment, that’s not because he overslept, it’s not because he didn’t watch enough Netflix movies Green wanted him to watch in the offseason. Grab a brain and a dose of reality. 

Instead people try to pretend they the issue we know is the issue, is not the issue. Maybe Green didn’t elaborate too much because he knows the Vancouver media well enough and doesn’t want to make a bigger stink than needed (aka keep it in house) which is being a good coach. A professional athlete’s offseason goals are fitness related, that’s reality. They test for them day 1. Day 1 it comes out he didn’t meet his goals (he stated it himself). The logic is blatant for anyone willing to accept it. 

Again,  the ONLY offseason goal that a coach has for a player that are tested for on the first day are fitness related, and that’s when this came out. Be silly and put your head in the sand as you please, most rational people know what 2+2 equals. 

And PS I hoped Jake would be the guy to be on Petey’s wing, he’s got all the tools but he’s clearly not maturing as a professional. 

Or maybe they had some extreme weight targets they wanted him to hit while maintaining a low body fat percentage. This can be extremely difficult to do and aligns with him stating that he was so close and would also explain why he would be more tired than usual, playing at a heavier weight. 

Boxers struggle to make weight all the time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/mar/13/scott-quigg-long-list-recent-failures-make-weight

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

What had you accomplished by the time you were 23?  Really, I am curious.

I suspect NOTHING.  Jake is a young man still learning about both life and hockey. The fact you have given up on him means NOTHING.

He seems like a nice young man to me. I hope he continues to mature and improve and contribute to the Canucks.

Ummm I had my own place and was a professional 

you???? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

I’ll trust how Green reacts (as he did) and how he deploys him. That will tell us all. Jake’s not doing himself any favours and he’s not going to breakout by being in the doghouse day one. It’s unprofessional plain and simple. 

Yep they still skate shoot and score, but you have to have the stamina to stay out for 45 seconds and go hard for the full game and the whole season. If everyone else is training like fiends what happens? You leave the ice after 25 seconds, remember that Jake? I don’t think we need that Jake back 

I don't disagree.  Let's see how he responds and progresses.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Per Her Son said:

Or maybe they had some extreme weight targets they wanted him to hit while maintaining a low body fat percentage. This can be extremely difficult to do and aligns with him stating that he was so close and would also explain why he would be more tired than usual, playing at a heavier weight. 

Boxers struggle to make weight all the time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/mar/13/scott-quigg-long-list-recent-failures-make-weight

I’m pretty sure given being too heavy and stamina have been issues for Jake in the past, having more weight was not their goal. That’s just common sense. In reality it’s not even about weight it’s about where it’s carried and stamina. Jake’s issue has always been stamina and weight in the wrong areas. I think it’s a safe assumption they would want him to improve there not gain weight. 

3 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

I’m pretty sure given being too heavy and stamina have been issues for Jake in the past, having more weight was not their goal. That’s just common sense. In reality it’s not even about weight it’s about where it’s carried and stamina. Jake’s issue has always been stamina and weight in the wrong areas. I think it’s a safe assumption they would want him to improve there not gain weight. 

It's definitely an assumption of yours, that much is true. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t bother arguing with these fans. They’ve bit hard on the media narrative hook line and sinker.

Amazing how some fans can be manipulated. The speed at which fans immediately made Virtanen the new whipping boy is astounding. You almost forget that Loui Eriksson is still on the roster.

He has been the whipping boy since the draft.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Per Her Son said:

It's definitely an assumption of yours, that much is true. 

So he’s sluggish and was told to play with AHLers because he’s lighter and being lighter somehow slowed him down and made him winded faster? Huh?

Your ability to carry your body weight gets easier as you get lighter. Any athlete who drops 10-15 lbs can feel instantly faster, quicker and has a lot more stamina as his muscles don’t have to carry as much weight , I would think anyone who uses logic would figure this out.

Edited by Freddy40

48 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

He was on pace for 20 last year.  If healthy, 20 should be the lower bar.  As I've said in other threads, there's more players who can do de down to a third line role on occassion, giving Jake more of a chance in the top 6.  Prior to this year, he's been stuck because who else was going to fill that spot?  Goldy?  Baer?  Boes'?

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t bother arguing with these fans. They’ve bit hard on the media narrative hook line and sinker.

Amazing how some fans can be manipulated. The speed at which fans immediately made Virtanen the new whipping boy is astounding. You almost forget that Loui Eriksson is still on the roster.

Exactly Nero, Facebook CDC and twitter all feeding st the media tit. Sad how quickly this happened, Jake just had a really good progressive year and now he’s a lost cause. The wave of momentum strikes again

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1