The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

47 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If Eriksson was getting paid 1-2 m per he would have been waived today.  It’s only his contract that is giving him the longetivity to compete for a spot right now...    so by your  account of this situation he shouldn’t be here.

No, less goals in PK is the main reason... Why do you want to loose? 

35 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Sorry, your Loui is no game changer.

There are others who can contribute or learn to contribute..  Boucher was fantastic on the pk when he came up last year.. 

If he is that great of a penalty killer then another team will pick Eriksson up on waivers.

2 words...    overaged underachievement.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Lol are you saying that Eriksson is the difference between winning and losing lol????????

Wow just wow

Loui Eriksson is a bum. His shelf life is over. Some players just fall off a cliff. Hes not the first nor will he be the last.

Examples, Jonathan cheechoo, Scott Gomez, etc etc.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

All of you saying Gaudette is ' for sure utica bound ' are in for a big surprise. The kid has played amazing so far, and if he keeps it up and doesn't slow down, he will have a lock on the opening night roster. 

I don't think so. His effort level can't be questioned and it's great to see him scoring, but there are still issues with his game. He still doesn't pass or show any ability to use his linemates effectively. He also needs to work on his defensive zone coverage. He won't take Sutter or Beagle's job until he improves those areas of his game and demonstrates that he is just as good of a penalty killer as well. So that means he'd need to make the club as a wing that can come in and take faceoffs, which I don't believe is ideal. He struggles at wing and projects as a center so it just doesn't make sense to go that route. I'm a really big fan of Gaudette, but if he's not ready to take a center job on the big club he needs to be playing big minutes at center in Utica being put in the situations that he needs to improve on.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Cap dump trade? 

Jake, Goldy, LE for a 7th rounder zero retained? Would Ottawa bite?!?

Doubtful.  They have several young players coming off their ELCs before Eriksson's contract is up.  They've signed both White and Chabot long term skipping the bridge.  Melnyk is widely considered very cost conscious and even talking that he sees no reasons to spend more than necessary.  Melnyk didn't want to extend Mark Stone (age 26) because he would be in his 30s when the contract is up and didn't think he would be as performing anymore.  Doubt he'd want to take the contract of someone that is already in his 30s and down to the 4th line already.

1 minute ago, FlyLow_ said:

Also, no cuts today? I don't see the need for the Boucher's, Sautner's, Chatfield's and Graovac's of the world to still be with the club. It's time to get down to business.

Sautner and Boucher were cut today

Edited by Odd.
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Also, no cuts today? I don't see the need for the Boucher's, Sautner's, Chatfield's and Graovac's of the world to still be with the club. It's time to get down to business.

They probably want to keep a few around to give some players a rest during their 3 games in 4 nights and also time the harder cuts at the same time as other teams. 

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

If Eriksson was getting paid 1-2 m per he would have been waived today.  It’s only his contract that is giving him the longetivity to compete for a spot right now...    so by your  account of this situation he shouldn’t be here.

I would think the opposite? 

If he was getting 1m, you have a solid 2 way player on bottom 6 who can kill penalties and he might actually be a fan favourite. 

People are on him because he gets paid like a guy who should be producing 30 goals. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Sorry, your Loui is no game changer.

There are others who can contribute or learn to contribute..  Boucher was fantastic on the pk when he came up last year.. 

If he is that great of a penalty killer then another team will pick Eriksson up on waivers.

2 words...    overaged underachievement.

Why would another team pick him up when they get a similar player for less? We got him now and should utilize him the best way. And the lines he's playing with are doing great while he plays with them. The best PK in the team. Not the same without him. Cerebral players are useful but you guys doesn't seem to understand them. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He plays like a guy who in 3 years has scored 32 times and hit 21 times... those are AHL stats.

If a guy wanted to be concerned about his salary, he could say that to-date we paid:

$562,500.oo per goal and $857,142.oo per hit.

Actually those figures are wrong because he picked up his $4m signing bonus a couple of months ago as prepayment for his fine work this season.

So it’s $687,500.oo per goal and $1,047,619.oo per hit.   

Id say, “privileged player” just about sums it up.

and to those thinking a 4th line role would be great for LE, give your head a shake..  we could only be so lucky that he lines up across from Ryan Reaves and his heated breath puts Loui on LTI .

... 100 bucks says phantom injuries and a great doctor try to save Eriksson from disgrace and embarrassment.

You summed up my points exactly. When you look at goals per dollar (COMPLETELY NOT WORTH IT). That wasnt the argument you were making though. You were saying if he made a mil, we would waive him and thats where I disagreed. Yes I would absolutely take Eriksson on the ice vs Reeves because 99% of the time, it will lead to either zero goals against OR a Canucks goal.

The most you could hope for in a million dollar player is not get scored against while chipping in on offence every now and then.  If he does other things like kill penalties, 1m well spent.