The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

How did Demko look, let in the 5 goals, but did he make some nice saves? Hoping he has a solid year and will be our #1 going forward and not have to pay Marky big bucks long term for a goalie nearing 30.

My take on Jake is this:

He is never going to be thin, he is built like Ovechkin. Who also happens to be a pure sniper, who hits and skates well...to this day in his 30s with the frame he has. So Jake may get more gassed then other guys and it is to be expected at the beginning of camp. The key is how quickly can he up his cardio and be than hard nosed forechecker who finishes his checks by using his speed to create mayhem...that can also snipe goals if he can pinpoint his shot more and pick those corners.

I hope Jake can put it all together, but I can see why fans would be uneasy about his start. Trade him now for JP is what those people will be wanting. Jake knows our coach, he knows what to expect so he has to put that effort in and do what the coach wants. If he does he hopefully will get rewarded...if he doesn't the leash is only going to be so long,  eventually all teams cut ties with players who dont seem to "get it" in the teams eyes of course. Goldy is in the same position but will be let go or moved on before Jake

Demko played the first half I believe. I'm not sure who played the other half I was on the opposite side of the ice.

It was Markstrom and MacIntyre for team white. I'm guessing Demko / DiPietro unless they threw Keilly in there.

4 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

Who knows, but he looked good today skating with the first group.

Nice to hear, I hope he plays with more of an edge this year and runs more guys over and can get his shot more accurate. If its not too much to ask, when he drive to the net, hold on to the puck, get passed the goalie and flick it in the air into the empty net!

6 minutes ago, the harry said:

Maybe JV was 5 minutes to late for the first practice. No coach could ignore that and has to send a message to the player and everbody else.

Because Jake seems like an easy going and goofy guy, and maybe doesn't have the tunnel vision desire to work like say EP, I think the coaching staff have to stay on him to make sure he's focused and motivated.  He seems lime the type of kid u have to be hard on from time to time to keep him on the right path.   I have zero doubts Jake wants to be good, but tough love when he falls short is sometimes needed

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Because Jake seems like an easy going and goofy guy, and maybe doesn't have the tunnel vision desire to work like say EP, I think the coaching staff have to stay on him to make sure he's focused and motivated.  He seems lime the type of kid u have to be hard on from time to time to keep him on the right path.   I have zero doubts Jake wants to be good, but tough love when he falls short is sometimes needed

I think you are probably right

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Knucklehd said:

Well Olli seems fine.  I don't see anything that can cause worries about his rehab.  Skating well, turning equally well.  Good acceleration.  Doesn't seem to be favoring any kind of movement.  Has taken some knocks too.

Keep it coming, K.  Appreciate all your updates!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1