The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I watched it and I didn't see a belly.....

also in those tight jeans everyone has love handles....

i didn't notice what your talking about. 

Get off the hate train....Jesus. 

For all anyone knows it could be cause his missed media day..... 

In person today, Jake is noticeably not in the shape he should be in. Everyone else looks trim and fit and he looks like he didn't take his offseason as serious as he should have. It's disappointing he still hasn't woken up yet.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, apollo said:

Edler Myers could end up being the best d pairing in the division. 

Heck even the best d pairing we've ever had. 

Well nvm Salo was something else when he was healthy, any one he partnered with would be solid. 

Better than Drew Daughty paired with anyone in the world?

Or how about Gio paired with I don't care?

Burns and Karlsson?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

No need to rush him, even if he has a great camp let him go get some more seasoning in Utica and help that team hopefully have a better season. Can't see him beating out any of:

Edler

Myers

Hughes

Tanev

Benn

Stecher

No point imo having him be #7D. Biega has served that role well and this new guy Fantenberg...who knows he didnt play much in Calgary so not sure what he can bring or do other than be an injury replacement type guy

It is possible for a team to roll 7 D, even 8.  Nothing wrong with Juolevi being number 7, rather than Biega or Fantenberg.  Edler and Tanev both play better (and longer lol) if they don't play heavy minutes.

From what Benning has said recently (since early summer) I think he is committed to having Juolevi start if he plays well enough.  No way he gets sent down if he is as good as Biega and Fantenberg, imo.  

And there is Jett Woo to consider: what if this kid pots a few assists in the pre-season?  Nothing wrong with Benn and Tanev, but they aren't big offensive threats.  Woo might be, even as early as this year.  I think if Woo is as good as Juolevi and both are the equal of Biega and Fantenberg?  A couple of commentators mentioned that Juolevi was favoring his leg, which makes Woo a possible first choice for who starts rather than who goes to Utica. 

Btw, same goes for the forwards.  Benning has said the best start, regardless of veteran status.  I can see one of MacEwen and Perron starting opening night.  And they save a bit of money if LE is in Utica.  Certainly more than if he is in the starting lineup.  

16 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I watched it and I didn't see a belly.....

also in those tight jeans everyone has love handles....

i didn't notice what your talking about. 

Get off the hate train....Jesus. 

For all anyone knows it could be cause his missed media day..... 

In the presser, when asked about Jake, TG talked about how young players improve, including conditioning, through summer work. That was before Jake missed media day. Jake skates with the also-rans as a penalty for missed off-season goals. Then, he is constantly gassed in that practice. Even Inspector Gadget could solve this mystery, Jake blew his summer training again. Maybe he needs to try veganism or something. Goldy looks bigger in this video, looks like he took his summer seriously. If Goldy has a great camp, I could see Jake starting the year in Utica.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

Woo is a couple years away based off everything I saw today.  Loads of potential, still very raw.  Olli needs ice time, far better for him to be putting in minutes un Utica then watching from the box. Thats why we have fantenburg and biega

I haven't seen Woo play since he got to camp.  So you probably have it right. 

Juolevi was doing great in Utica before his injury, so it wouldn't do him any harm to go back for 5 to 8 weeks.  Still, if one of them can wow the coaches...  The team needs more offense from the D, and both these guys have more of that than Biega, Fantenberg or even Benn. 

From what I saw of Woo earlier in the summer, he is a player that shows better in game situations, rather than drills or practice.  

I just hope they give both Woo and Juolevi lots of ice time in the pre-season games.

54 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

In the presser, when asked about Jake, TG talked about how young players improve, including conditioning, through summer work. That was before Jake missed media day. Jake skates with the also-rans as a penalty for missed off-season goals. Then, he is constantly gassed in that practice. Even Inspector Gadget could solve this mystery, Jake blew his summer training again. Maybe he needs to try veganism or something. Goldy looks bigger in this video, looks like he took his summer seriously. If Goldy has a great camp, I could see Jake starting the year in Utica.

Good god that is a bad take.

Did you not hear Green say Jake is an important part of the team?  Hahaha.....Jake will never see Utica.....the idea of that is so dumb....:frantic:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

TRAINING CAMP | J.T. Miller on Day Two Ice Session

Interesting comments on who he is as a player at the end. What he can bring to the team.

The last comment was I can make a play when I have to?  But before that was mentioned;

> reliable 200 foot player

> skate up and down the line up.

> Play wing, either, or centre.

> Add some speed, get in and disrupt on the fore-check

This a team first player folks, one you will enjoy watching?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Are you trolling or serious? Myers was 3rd pairing last year when Jets were healthy.

SJS Vlasic Burns- That pair easily beats your canuck pair

Name me a third pair dman that plays 20-25 minutes per game over the last 5 seasons. I'll wait. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

TRAINING CAMP | Travis Green on Day Two Ice Session

''Focht!''

When asked a good question?  > Who, among the guys you don't know well, either new guys, or young players, stood out today in scrimmage.

Then warned everyone not to read too much into it, it's early. Many are tired, nervous. Might be better? But ''Focht was top of mind.'' And Rafferty looked good. Dribbled one or two reasons why. No one else mentioned.

27 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Green also mentioned he wanted jake to be a leader and a leader doesn't blow off media.....but I'm no inspector gadget....

neither of us know .....so maybe bring facts or well I think you can figure out the rest. 

• Like 1