The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Are you trolling or serious? Myers was 3rd pairing last year when Jets were healthy.

SJS Vlasic Burns- That pair easily beats your canuck pair

I'm serious, I think there's a good chance they click that good and stun everyone.

Home town Calder trophy winner coming home? Come on... 

Tyler is in a much better situation here. He's at home, he's happy... He wasn't getting enough respect in Winnipeg. 

Side note... I don't get it, was Mark Wahlberg joking when he said tie domi? 

Alex on the other hand is a diehard vancouverite that loves this town and took a huge discount to stay. He had teams lined up to give him 6 years, don't kid yourselves. At the same AAV if not more. It's not about money to him. It's about being here and winning here. 

These two are gonna be absolute studs whether they play on the same pairing or not. 

Vancouver has NEVER had such a stacked d... You could go on and on... Jordie, Tanev 

So maybe I'd like to backtrack from my initial statement of Edler / Myers being the best pairing to, Vancouver as a team has the best d its EVER had. 

I didn't even mention QH43 our weapon X 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Roberts said:

got my Pettersson jersey autographed by Elias himself at the training camp today! That's my first NHL autograph!

Was that your signed EP40 Jersey that was posted earlier. I knoticed it was his rookie year jersey....so Great work on getting it signed.

that jersey is awesome so keep it in good shape.

Edited by HockeyHarry

34 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Good go that is a bad take.

Did you not hear Green say Jake is an important part of the team?  Hahaha.....Jake will never see Utica.....the idea of that is so dumb....:frantic:

Reason Jake won't see Utica is because he'll have to be put on waivers. They're not waiving him and risk him being picked up. 

He's sucking pond water out there. Can't keep up with the 3rd stringers. 

But he'll be on the team to start the season as a 4th liner. Maybe not have him in the line up for a few games to start the season. Let him sit in the press box and work in his conditioning. Like Tram did for a month when he was here. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Green also mentioned he wanted jake to be a leader and a leader doesn't blow off media.....but I'm no inspector gadget....

neither of us know .....so maybe bring facts or well I think you can figure out the rest. 

Exactly I don’t think this is 1000% about fitness more so even being basically a grown up on the team stop being a kid.. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, apollo said:

I'm serious, I think there's a good chance they click that good and stun everyone.

Home town Calder trophy winner coming home? Come on... 

Tyler is in a much better situation here. He's at home, he's happy... He wasn't getting enough respect in Winnipeg. 

Side note... I don't get it, was Mark Wahlberg joking when he said tie domi? 

Alex on the other hand is a diehard vancouverite that loves this town and took a huge discount to stay. He had teams lined up to give him 6 years, don't kid yourselves. At the same AAV if not more. It's not about money to him. It's about being here and winning here. 

These two are gonna be absolute studs whether they play on the same pairing or not. 

Vancouver has NEVER had such a stacked d... You could go on and on... Jordie, Tanev 

So maybe I'd like to backtrack from my initial statement of Edler / Myers being the best pairing to, Vancouver as a team has the best d its EVER had. 

I didn't even mention QH43 our weapon X 

Cup run had prime Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo, Erhoff, Tanev.  That is the deepest defence we have had.  

This team has some good young horses and some quality vets to become something special.  Currently,  we aren't there. 

Anyone who’s there, I would love to hear more on how some of our key prospects are looking.

Gaudette - not much talk about him (which is good imho because he’s flying under the Canuck nation radar, meaning less chance of becoming a whipping boy while he develops).

Juolevi - seen a bit on him but not much analysis 

Demko, Lind, Gadj, Mckewan

thanks in advance! 

9 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Exactly I don’t think this is 1000% about fitness more so even being basically a grown up on the team stop being a kid.. 

It’s 100% about fitness which is tied to being a kid and not maturing. If on the first day after testing the coach says the team is really fit other than.... and the player admits he didn’t reach his offseason goals it’s blatantly obvious it’s about conditioning and fitness. It’s not about Jake stayed up late watching a movie friend. 

• Wat 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

No way Jake goes to Utica, and he knows this. Possibly why he never bothered to train hard this off season. His place on the team is safe. 

Doesn’t mean he can’t be traded. If he wants to stick on Vancouver he better wake up, and if traded, eventually he’ll run out of chances. You can only “tease” talent so long before you get passed by. Hunger will beat talent 10 out of 10 times, and it’s not like Jake has Petey level talent where he can pull this crap and think he can stick in the NHL long term.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

Gaudette looks good. He was gassed at times, but only because he works super hard and not because he was hanging out with Jake this summer.

Lind and Mckewen looked good as well, working real hard, but Gadj has a ways to go. Looked a few steps behind in his skating, and his shot isn't very good compared to the rest.

Noticeable a for me from today:

1. Meyers is huge and can skate lime the wind. He is going to put up some serious numbers this year. I was super impressed.

2. Petey and Hughes are just so incredibly skilled. Unreal. Speechless. Got a new Petey designed hat today and had him sign it too. I'm Pumped.

3. Ferland is jacked. He's seriously built like a truck compared to most our guys. Can't wait to see him protect Petey.

4. Our team rocks.

Awesome thank you! 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Cup run had prime Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo, Erhoff, Tanev.  That is the deepest defence we have had.  

This team has some good young horses and some quality vets to become something special.  Currently,  we aren't there. 

Edler had a better year last year than he did in 2011. Almost identical stats and he did it on a weak team last year. 

Edler's best years are going to be his next two imo. He's never been in better shape, his legs are tree trunks, he's matured and more calm on the ice. 

Tanev wasnt much in 2011... Salo was one of the best dman we'll ever see, Hamhuis was ineffective all playoffs, Bieksa was prime for sure. 

Edler, Myers, Troy, Tanev, Quinn, Jordie, Biega is the best top 7 we've had. 

And I'm tempering my expectations on Quinn, he could put us in cup territory if he can do 40+ points. 

4 hours ago, Knucklehd said:

Sry @Bell didn't see this.  Definately tickets left.  Probably 1000ppl here, but many have left now that scrimmage is over.  Group 2 coming on in about 10mins or so.

Thanks for posting your videos, I figured it looked fairly empty so I made it for the second half of the scrimmage and Pettersson's group practice.

1 minute ago, Knucklehd said:

Gaudette - looks ready to play with the big team, but is probably better served getting high, all situation minutes in Utica.  Likely 1st call up

Joulevi - looks like he has been off for 10 months, will get prime minutes in Utica, fully expect to see him in a Canuck jersey in the future.

Demko - looks good, moving well, big in the net both he and Marky look ready to lead the team in goal.

Lind - fairly quiet, but did impress with his speed and tenacity at points, but mostly overshadowed by the big boys.  Hopefully he keeps improving in Utica, has potential to see time on the big club, but not for at least another year...maybe 2.

Gadj - meh, not very noticeable in a good way.  Skating will need to improve or he may not even make Utica.

McKewan - solid.  Great size, good speed, nice shot.  Should play a big role in Utica and maybe, if all goes well for him a 4th line call up.

Thanks! Seems similar to the other response!

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

Edler had a better year last year than he did in 2011. Almost identical stats and he did it on a weak team last year. 

Edler's best years are going to be his next two imo. He's never been in better shape, his legs are tree trunks, he's matured and more calm on the ice. 

Tanev wasnt much in 2011... Salo was one of the best dman we'll ever see, Hamhuis was ineffective all playoffs, Bieksa was prime for sure. 

Edler, Myers, Troy, Tanev, Quinn, Jordie, Biega is the best top 7 we've had. 

And I'm tempering my expectations on Quinn, he could put us in cup territory if he can do 40+ points. 

I agree on Edler, and now having a d corps that can help carry some of the load will only make him better. He’ll be fresher on the ice and able to not have to shoulder all the hardest matchups. That’s the advantage of depth, players are fresher, the coach can be smarter with matchups, less injuries and less pressure on players allows them to play to their best. I’m really looking forward to watching our D this year, JB did a terrific job improving it. 

51 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Was that your signed EP40 Jersey that was posted earlier. I knoticed it was his rookie year jersey....so Great work on getting it signed.

that jersey is awesome so keep it in good shape.

Thanks! I haven't posted any pictures yet, but it is exactly what you're describing. It's an Adidas Pettersson jersey from last season. I'll try to get a picture posted here soon.

• Upvote 1