The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Nucks @ Flames / Flames @ Nucks

Rate this topic

xereau

When I looked at that lineup for the game in Calgary, I felt like it would be the kind of game where Jake would have to contribute for them to win. Scored a couple of pretty goals. Also noticed the most ice time among forwards was Motte up around 20 minutes. Motte is going to make things tough for anyone to take his spot in the bottom 6. And in the other game, we even had Loui get a goal. It's already shaping up to be an interesting race for roster spots, Also, J. T. Miller with Horvat was definitely one of the best parts of the Victoria game, they had some good puck movement going, and finally managed to cash one in near the end. It's going to be a fun season this year!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I thought Teves outplayed Rafferty that game even if you take away the goal.

Rafferty had a really up and down game. Made some real clutch plays and had some good carries but had to get bailed out a bunch on the PP and by Teves. He made way more mistakes, Teves could of had a quiet game for most of you until the goal but he had a really smooth game overall and only a couple of mistakes that were noticeable. He can definitely handle the puck too but Rafferty was noticeably better in that regard. You definitely see the upside in Rafferty though.

I thought Lind had a bad game. Coughed up the puck a bunch. Gaudette had an up and down game but was always engaged physically. Gadjovich was unnoticeable, maybe because of the speed he plays with or lack thereof.

Goldobin had an up and down game as well. Looks faster and a bit more engaged though

Teves is a great skater.  Great speed, Hedican like...::D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Jake is good at creating offense off the rush, usually after a turnover. Hes not the best in a top 6 roll.

He would be great with Sutter or Gaudette.

I think that top 6 spot is Goldies to lose. I like the idea of putting him with Petey and Ferland.

Ferland Pettersson Goldobin

Miller Horvat Boeser

Baertschi Sutter Virtanen

Leivo Beagle Pearson

We can spread the ice time out nicely and roll four lines. And Brock and Goldy and swap in and out.

Goldy has to burn the house down in pre season, if he is going to take that first line spot from Boeser...

Especially if Baertschi or Pearson rediscover their chemistry with Bo during pre season. Miller already looking good on Bo’s wing. 

Don’t see Pearson ending up on the 4th line...but if he ends up there it’ll be the best looking 4th line in a long time. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

There was nothing remarkable about any of the Canucks players through the first 2 periods in Calgary. Jake was on the ice for both Calgary goals but Bachman and Beagle were the goats on those plays. The Canucks as a whole didnt see much of the puck in the first 2 periods but Jake looked good playing on the PP. It was in the third when Giordano tried to step up on Jake (and got reverse kronwalled) that Jake really woke up and started to assert himself. At the end of the day, if a guy scores the tying goal and the winner in OT he deserves a little tire pumping.

Is there a clip of this somewhere?

Not comparing the two, but that's reminiscent of Iginla. I remember thinking that we shouldn't go for a big hit on Iginla whenever we played him because when we did, he would wake up and take over the rest of the game. Hopefully Virtanen has that same kind of fire.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Is there a clip of this somewhere?

Not comparing the two, but that's reminiscent of Iginla. I remember thinking that we shouldn't go for a big hit on Iginla whenever we played him because when we did, he would wake up and take over the rest of the game. Hopefully Virtanen has that same kind of fire.

Not sure if there is, it was funny listening to the Flames announcers eat some crow when it happened. Iginla was terrifying when he was engaged physically, I don't think Jake has that in his DNA but he should be using his size more to his advantage.

9 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Finally saw the Jake highlights ... great stuff!!

I concur just watched the OT goal and very happy how patient he is with the puck and waited for the D and goalie to bite then wrister and goodnight now!

6A0AA1DE-2B69-4CE2-B434-2E131CB0BE63.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Another guy that people might not of noticed was Brisebois. Had probably the most quiet game out of all of our defenseman which I don't think it is a bad thing, it's just the way he plays. Playing with Tanev I sometimes thought he was Tavev, they both move around and handle the puck similarly. 

I noticed Chatfield's physicality a bunch in this game. He isn't afraid to to engage in that regard.

Utica should be interesting to watch this year. We have a bunch of defense with some promise. Hopefully someone can make the jump out of that group on top of Juolevi. That'd be huuge.

Brisbois was arguably Utica’s best defenseman last year including the games OJ played in (no PP time for Brisbois in those games) - he’s not noticeable in a good way for sure.   Doesn’t get rattled and rarely out of position, and makes quick clean outlet passes after a few strides up the ice.   Really comfortable about our defensive depth now - more so then in a long time. 

Benn comes as advertised - took a penalty on what I thought was just a clean hit in the first period but love how he makes guys pay the price for coming down his side.  And his beard is kick-ass.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1