The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Sens @ Nucks Sept 25 2019 - 2 minutes for cross checking edition -

Rate this topic

xereau

Listened mostly to radio 650..what the Hell is wrong with Hirsch?

- pregame, spends 1 min building up MacEwen.."I just hope he can clear waivers." Am I missing some info? Ineligible, ain't he?

- Then he goes on a 2 min tribute to Miller. "He's been so great every game. Great for the Canucks to acquire him, then sign him." Does this maniac even follow the team? Is there something wrong with his ****ing memory? After corrected, he goes into his(routine I've heard 3 or 4 times now) claim that he took too many pucks to his head, etc...

Fortunately I missed the 3rd, as the lame commentary put me to sleep.

You get paid to do one thing..cover one freeken' hockey team. Is it so hard?

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Stecher continues to take those weak unscreened shots,  Virtanen too.  When the goalie gets his eyes on the puck for more than 0.5 second the conversion rate is only 2.7%.  Those are not dangerous shots.  

2 minutes ago, KeslerWho? said:

We had our entire 2nd and 3rd lines, our 2nd and 3rd D pairings + Thatcher "could take over the reins this season" Demko.

1 minute ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Perplexed as to how anyone can defend Goldobin at this point. At least Virtanen has a few takeaways and hits every night. Goldobin brings nothing if he's not producing and more often than not, he's not producing. Even when his job, perhaps career, is on the line he's invisible. 

My observations on tonight:

1. The Canucks managed to lose by a lop-sided score despite outplaying Ottawa by a big margin in the first half of the game and outshooting them by a big margin overall. Part of it was goaltending, part of it was mistakes, part of it was bounces (luck), part of it was special teams, and part it related to lack of finishing skill. A lot of the Canuck shots were low probability shots. I think the "scoring chance" differential was lower, although still in the Canucks favor.

2. As for the question of who makes the team, Gaudette was best Canuck on the ice tonight. He scored a nice goal, set up a nice goal, won a lot of puck battles, was very good on the back-check and could have easily had a couple more points. He was also 67% in the face-off circle, although I don't know how many face-offs he took. As I have mentioned before, if the Canuck really want a third scoring line, Gaudette is much better as the C for that line than Sutter or Beagle. He has to be on the team. 

3. Baertschi was always going to be on the team but he solidified his position tonight. And maybe he should play with Gaudette.

4. On the negative side, I think Goldy gets waived (and I think he will clear). He made a few good plays but would then make a lazy play or a poor decision. At this stage he may be trying too hard to avoid mistakes with the result that he is sort of paralyzed out there. But there no comparison between Goldy and Gaudette right now. (Actually, I guess we can compare them and Gaudette wins hands down.) In my opinion Jake was also disappointing tonight. Like Goldy, he would make a good play then disappear for a while. He ended up with two shots -- one was a decent shot off a nice pass from Gaudette late in the game. The other was a mistake. It was on the PP and the Canucks were moving the puck well until Jake took a long wrist shot with no traffic in front. That was a bad decision, giving up possession in a high danger situation. Neither Goldy nor Virtanen helped their cause tonight, particularly Goldy.

5. The difference between this game and the last Ottawa game was special teams, and that has a lot to do with personnel. It not a big shock that the PP is not as good with EP and Boeser and Edler not playing. (And, yes, Edler is the best PP d-man on the team, although Hughes obviously shows a lot of potential.) But the PK also struggled, giving up 2 goals in less than 25 seconds. When Eriksson has played the PP has been good. When he hasn't played the PP has struggled. I am not defending his contract (especially the term) but, right now, I see him as the best PK forward on the team, as is consistent with data. Not having Edler also hurts the PK.

6. It is rare that anything negative can be aid about Horvat. But tonight he made giveaways that led directly to the 1st and 5th Ottawa goals. He made a few good plays, but he looked out of sync tonight and he was one reason the PP did not do much as his passes were not sharp.

7. Miller had a lot of chances tonight and was highly visible, but he could not bury the puck. (Reminding us of how much the team will miss Boeser if he is out long).

8. There has not been much discussion of Pearson, but I have been disappointed in his his play. He is very much a "straight line" player, which is okay, but he seems to lack offensive creativity and the rest of his game is ok but not exciting. I can see why he has been playing in the bottom 6 most of the pre-season. If he is in your top 6 then your top 6 is probably not that good.

9. Finally, another piece of good news. MacEwen was highly visible, playing a tough physical game. I don't see how he makes the team but he is close and could be an early call-up.

Bottom line: the loss was disappointing but the game probably clarified the question of who makes the team. And it is great to see Gaudette continuing his strong play.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Listened mostly to radio 650..what the Hell is wrong with Hirsch?

- pregame, spends 1 min building up MacEwen.."I just hope he can clear waivers." Am I missing some info? Ineligible, ain't he?

- Then he goes on a 2 min tribute to Miller. "He's been so great every game. Great for the Canucks to acquire him, then sign him." Does this maniac even follow the team? Is there something wrong with his ****ing memory? After corrected, he goes into his(routine I've heard 3 or 4 times now) claim that he took too many pucks to his head, etc...

Fortunately I missed the 3rd, as the lame commentary put me to sleep.

You get paid to do one thing..cover one freeken' hockey team. Is it so hard?

He’s totally on my nerves lately too.....please don’t make me go back to 1040 lol

Shortly after Bianca Andreescu won the US Open he made some really distasteful comments about her Mother.  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I'm not. But it is just a preseason game win or lose. 

Yes, it is just preseason

But

Is it not like a playoff game for guys trying to make the team?

One would think more intensity

There was so much talk of depth and guys fighting for roster spots

Yet the ones who have fought, will be the ones going down, because of contract situations (and they weren't the ones you were only expecting to impress)

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

We might as well just copy and paste this to use before every game. 

If he couldn't show up tor his Abby game, I'm not sure any kind of pre-game wishes will help anymore. But what else can we do?  Its all up to him.

I’ll post it in each gdt this year :bigblush:

Edited by Sikhguy23
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, linden17 said:

Is it just me or did gravoac have a decent game? First time I heard of him. Big boy at 6 foot 5.

Graovac has had a couple of decent games. I like him, good depth playe

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3