The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] 9/26 Canucks vs Coyotes @ 7:00 PM

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Well to be fair you gotta get the wrister through in order for that play to work. Hughes shot it right at a guy.

Mostly true, except the situational use of that play is not 6 on 5 with an empty net. Plugging the shooting lanes up increases the risk of involuntary blocks as much as voluntary ones. You’ve got possession and a man advantage, open up the defenders to create seams for passes and tips in front. Have that big ‘extra’ body occupy the net front, thats excellent. If they ignore that guy, pass the lane m, low shot off the pad for the tip or the rebound to the guy in front (ferland atyle goal) otherwise, somebody else is left alone if everybody else is in motion. That’s your triggerman, and he should rotate to his preferred danger zone. If he’s still left alone, guy in front is the screen and garbage collector, if someone picks him up now there’s definitely a lane that’s opened. 

I mean its easy to say ‘yeah but hes an nhl coach and ur not’ etc, but theres an element of common sense that gets overlooked in the overthink- forest sometimes. 

1 minute ago, brownky said:

Mostly true, except the situational use of that play is not 6 on 5 with an empty net. Plugging the shooting lanes up increases the risk of involuntary blocks as much as voluntary ones. You’ve got possession and a man advantage, open up the defenders to create seams for passes and tips in front. Have that big ‘extra’ body occupy the net front, thats excellent. If they ignore that guy, pass the lane m, low shot off the pad for the tip or the rebound to the guy in front (ferland atyle goal) otherwise, somebody else is left alone if everybody else is in motion. That’s your triggerman, and he should rotate to his preferred danger zone. If he’s still left alone, guy in front is the screen and garbage collector, if someone picks him up now there’s definitely a lane that’s opened. 

I mean its easy to say ‘yeah but hes an nhl coach and ur not’ etc, but theres an element of common sense that gets overlooked in the overthink- forest sometimes. 

The other side is more guys in front creates more chaos and less chance the goalie can find the puck.

With extra guys there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be first on the puck. However you need to get the shot through to the crease.

Hughes will learn how to use an extra move in order to do that. Right now he’s adjusting to much better shot blockers.

Well, considering that was the last pre season game this is how things could shake out:

Ferland  Pettersson  Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  JT Miller

Baertschi  Gaudette  Leivo

Sutter  Beagle  Motte/Schaller

Roussel - bumps someone when healthy

Goldy has been crap - waive him

Eriksson - 6 million dollar player that is almost invisible - no reason to keep him/not just because he is ok on the PK imo

Motte - I like him as an energy 4th line guy

Roussel - will fill last spot when he is healthy - we need his energy and agitation

Schaller - is ok on 4th line; at least tries

Virtanen - try for a trade I guess; he has not been good at all; really sad to see as many of us had high hopes for him; could keep him as 13th guy right now

Ferland is a beast. Barely got to work out in pre season due to virus. Played very physical tonight unlike any other Canuck. I am gonna absolutely love this guy. Too bad we could not find one more guy like him. A rare breed imo.

In reality, the way Green deployed players, I expect he will keep Eriksson (booo) and Schaller (ok on 4th line). But that would mean Motte is waived which would be too bad.

• Like 1

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“It’s exciting. Exhibition is good to get your speed up and we had a good pre-season. Now we want to have a good five days here and be ready for game one.” - Myers

Just keep Jake away from the pizza.  Oh, and cookie dough ice cream.  Oh, and the hamburger hut.  Oh, and the hotdog palace.  Oh...oh...oh...:towel:

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How long does Green last this season?  I say he’s gone before game 20 if our boys show this kind of effort.  

I think what happens to Gaudette will show one way or another the culture  Greens teaching this team.

Edited by Snapshot85
  • Like 1