The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers, Oct 2, 2019, 7 PM

Rate this topic

KyoNami

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Edler has been solid as usual 

Edler is a very good defenseman. But only if Green can force himself to ration his ice time more.  He's great fresh, starting the season, or coming back off of injury, etc.  Just can't overplay him. Hopefully with the new D help, he can pace himself so he's playing well throughout the season......and playoffs B)

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

Jake's gotten like 4 and a half mins of ice time

Hes been invisible because he isnt being given an opportunity.

I agree. You're not doing wonders to someones confidence when you ground him the first time he makes a mistake.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's made some pretty nice defensive plays too.  Picked Draisitl's pocket and has really great speed to close gaps.  He'll improve and learn to not do stuff like try to physically box out Draisitl.

His gap control when he sees 'what is in front of him' is very good. And the attempted box out on Draisitl didn't even register in my "bad idea o-meter". That's just experience and time, no sweat.

His main issues imo are "seeing" what isn't in front of him from a defensive point of view. He plays kinda like a beer league guy who has been so much better than everybody else for so long, but now he's moved to a new town where he's not the best guy in town anymore and yes, they do know what you're gonna try and he hasn't quite seen that, yet at least. For example, I saw one REALLY bad pass in the neutral zone, tape to tape Pouliot style to the Oiler guy, and one from the D-zone that was a whiffy backhand right into the slot in front of Marky.

He's got good speed and really crazy good hands... so hopefully the rest comes. But I'm not sure he should be doing "crash course" training in the NHL. That sort of "learning time" screams AHL. But he's a highly touted, low first round pick. He's gonna play for better or worse.

Just now, EmilyM said:

He hasn’t done a thing to earn a second more

Blah blah blah.

Tired of negative fans like yourself.

Game one and Jake's gotten 4.5 mins of ice time and its "waaah he hasn't done a thing to earn anything"

Give your head a shake.  Were 40 mins into the season.

• Upvote 1