The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wings @ Nucks - Oct 15 2019 - 7pm PST

Rate this topic

xereau

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Wow...interesting.

Imo Schaller has been miles better than little things Loui ever was in a 4th line role. Crashing and banging, puck retrieval, hitting. No contest....but sure lol.

Puck retrieval? Okay...

'Crashing and banging'.. uhhh... he's not exactly Raffi Torres out there. He lays late hits after the defenseman already identifies an outlet & moves the puck. Its simple b/c he doesn't accelerate well. He's been working harder I'll give him that. 

Is he better 5 on 5 than Loui? Yes, for sure. Is it enough of a difference/contribution to negate Eriksson being a pretty good PKer? I'm not sure.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

But Schaller's always laying a late hit. Its never consequential in the play. Most of the time he's making the contact after the pucks moved, and if anything it leaves him behind the play. He's just a little slow getting there.

I agree on Eriksson, I'm not going to defend him, I complained in this GDT's last year about how sick I was of watching him play, but I'll give him his due in that he can kill penalties effectively. I don't want to watch him 5 on 5 but he can tread water then be on our top PK, I'd consider that when the other option is Schaller bringing nothing.

Hmm I am not sure if he is a late hitter. He opts to not hit sometimes when he arrives late.. a lot of which I still kind of want him to make the hit. 

Ive seen late hitters in this league but I do not think Schaller is one. 

So I would definitely pick him over LE on our 4th line any day. He's not perfect but he's shown enough this year. 

Beagle line played well tonight. It's hard to refute that. 

If Schaller plays badly, I would trust Green to make the decision to take him out. But I wouldn't be the one starting to criticize our player. 

I lack the obvious credentials and knowledge in this game to make that kind of assumptions. :)

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Puck retrieval? Okay...

'Crashing and banging'.. uhhh... he's not exactly Raffi Torres out there. He lays late hits after the defenseman already identifies an outlet & moves the puck. Its simple b/c he doesn't accelerate well. He's been working harder I'll give him that. 

Is he better 5 on 5 than Loui? Yes, for sure. Is it enough of a difference/contribution to negate Eriksson being a pretty good PKer? I'm not sure.

Whatever pal.  We obviously are not watching the same game and we sure as hell have not watched the same little things (do nothing) Loui.