The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We could ice a way better lineup than the one we run now

Rate this topic

deus.ex.makina

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Goldy ain’t coming back.

Baertschi on the other hand likely will. No one is saying he’ll be a saviour. He’s always been a good support player that plays well with Bo.

Agreed and what the team should do is swap Sven and Loui E spots. Gaud, can go to Utica also and get proper ice time in all situations to help his development.

Then all we really would need to do is look at trying to obtain a pick or prospect for Schaller or Leivo both UFA to be this summer, possibly Motte can be thrown into that mix also. Regardless, Sven should be on the Canucks as a 3rd liner and assist on the PP. Can be used for spot duty in the top 6 also when team is struggling or needs a boost.

The way I see it our top 6 is:

Miller Elias ____

____ Bo Brock

We have a hole on both lines, Ferland/Pearson/Leivo/Jake/Roussel are at this time 3rd liners on our team. Ferland might/I hope fill 1 of those spots given more time to form some chemistry and Pearson can slot into a top 6 role but cementing him there is not concrete to me.... Personally when team is healthy this is my F group:

Miller Elias Ferlund

Sven Bo Brock

Pearson Sutter Roussel

Motte/Leivo Beagle Virtanen

Can rotate Sven/Jake/Rous/Pearson around. Rous might work well with Bo moving Sven to 3rd line.

Waive/trade Schaller, Waive LE, Gaud to Utica's top 6

9 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Lol

Nintendo version-hockey.

We have a greatly improved battle level and safe work environment on the roster now and you want to go back to sissy hockey. No thanks. 

I highly doubt anybody on the opposing team is thinking: "Oh my god, they have Tim Schaller, we better not go after Elias Pettersson."

This "safe work environment" thing is so overrated. It's a 20th century mindset. Sure it appeases the fans, but it doesn't win games. Same with believing that you need fighters on a team, which magically elevates the level of play on the roster because fights change the flow of the game or something like that.

That being said, the team is playing well. Even Schaller has played well in select games, so I'm not complaining. When we go in a hump as all teams inevitably do, it's probably smart to ice a more talented line up. The game is about speed, skill, talent, possession, sound defending and goaltending. The "battle level" you're talking about is incorporated into those attributes. One thing for sure is that the game is not about safe work environments.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Grape said:

I highly doubt anybody on the opposing team is thinking: "Oh my god, they have Tim Schaller, we better not go after Elias Pettersson."

This "safe work environment" thing is so overrated. It's a 20th century mindset. Sure it appeases the fans, but it doesn't win games. Same with believing that you need fighters on a team, which magically elevates the level of play on the roster because fights change the flow of the game or something like that.

That being said, the team is playing well. Even Schaller has played well in select games, so I'm not complaining. When we go in a hump as all teams inevitably do, it's probably smart to ice a more talented line up. The game is about speed, skill, talent, possession, sound defending and goaltending. The "battle level" you're talking about is incorporated into those attributes. One thing for sure is that the game is not about safe work environments.

Even NHL players are intimidated by physical play.  

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Why do so many here think Sven has to be top 6 only...What is so wrong with having some skill on the 3rd line that can contribute offensively and help out on the PP etc. This is the new era of NHL hockey where its about speed and skill throughout your ENTIRE line up

Well, the problem is that you are right in the regular season...…….

But the playoffs are just plain black and blue hockey......just like the old days

Sven would not last a round

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, the problem is that you are right in the regular season...…….

But the playoffs are just plain black and blue hockey......just like the old days

Sven would not last a round

That is predicting the future and assuming a lot. EP is a very slender built player as is Hughes. Are they both going to be injured after 1 round of playoff hockey too? Playoffs get a lot tougher physically and the games are moer intense but it doesn't mean a skilled player can't handle that kind of play. Remember Sven is not being relied on to be a heavy producing top 6 player, if he came back up he would help create a 3rd line with more offense, add the the 2nd PP unit.

3 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

defense and goal tending win cups. Sven and Goldy are too soft and Sven can't play the gritty role with his head issues

If we hadnt let willie mitchell walk we might have hoisted the cup. 

dont give up on good guys because they hit a rough patch.

• Wat 1

29 minutes ago, hammertime said:

If we hadnt let willie mitchell walk we might have hoisted the cup. 

dont give up on good guys because they hit a rough patch.

He was a great D, just had those injuries and seemed like GM wanted to move on from him, always wonder if a deal was offered from either side to keep him around. Jordie Benn to be is a Willie Mitchell Light. Good bottom pair guy to have and would do well in the playoffs imo

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Goldy ain’t coming back.

Baertschi on the other hand likely will. No one is saying he’ll be a saviour. He’s always been a good support player that plays well with Bo.

lol I know  goldy is basically done with the canucks  a poster was saying goldy is the best passer on the canucks , baer is a good support player , I could see him being called up if someone is on LTIR

11 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

so that leaves him

fighting with Persson, Leivo,  and Goldobin for that spot

I would switch Lievo and Baertchi in a heartbeat. Lievo has been an AHL guy or a healthy scratch his whole career (since 2013) prior to joining the Canucks. He sure as hell doesn't belong on the PP. His 10 goals last year was a career high as was his 49 games played. 

Goldy doesn't belong on the roster either. He has proven time and time again that he is incapable of playing defense or winning a puck battle on the forecheck. If I was JB I would try to move him for another Roussel type of player. Someone who can play on a physical edge and still pot a few goals every now and again. Those are the types of players we are going to need in the playoffs. The skill guys we have already are way better than Goldy so he's not going to make top six  and he doesn't belong in the bottom six.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Remember Sven is not being relied on to be a heavy producing top 6 player, if he came back up he would help create a 3rd line with more offense, add the the 2nd PP unit.

If he comes back he should take Lievos spot on Horvats line. That is where he belongs. Lievo belongs in the AHL.

• Upvote 1

We have won 5 of our last 6 games.

The game we lost was by a goal.

Your suggesting a better line up with players that will most likely get a shot so I don’t disagree they should come up but I doubt all at once. I said this in another post but if your coaching, you don’t make changes for the sake of making changes when your team is performing that’s a bad message to the players. You allow it to happen organically as an injury occurs and a spot opens up or your team stops performing or a player noticeably Is not showing up to play.

It’s easy to say we would have a better scoring potential with the Different forwards you suggest but that doesn’t mean the team game will be better. You have to be able to check hard on the forecheck and back check just as hard to be on our team now, that’s the standard JB built into the team character and work-ethic and Green coaches to that, if you only have a one way game it’s doubtful you get in unless someone drops off their play or there’s an injury. 

Not sure we need to change much other then continue to improve on the foundation let the team continue to understand each-other and gel, practice more in the areas that need tweaking.  I could see some light tweaking like we saw today on the PP new look new setup ass in QH. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

That is predicting the future and assuming a lot. EP is a very slender built player as is Hughes. Are they both going to be injured after 1 round of playoff hockey too? Playoffs get a lot tougher physically and the games are moer intense but it doesn't mean a skilled player can't handle that kind of play. Remember Sven is not being relied on to be a heavy producing top 6 player, if he came back up he would help create a 3rd line with more offense, add the the 2nd PP unit.

Sven is one major hit away from not being able to tie his shoes

My point is that the playoffs are far more physical...………….

Look, count how many concussions he has already had, why do you think he gets them? Each concussion makes it that much more easy to have the next.

It may be that he works himself back into the league, he's played well so far down in the A, but lets see, what happens. The Canucks have cap issues, so that all plays into it.

I am not saying he is not a more talented guy than, say Schaller, Motte, Leivo, Virtanen, but they play a role, that IMO, Sven can not play, and visa versa, as well......

I don't think anyone could dispute his talent, but the game is not all about talent...…..I am open to him coming back, and playing, but I am hoping Goldobin can learn the pro game down in Utica, because I would rather see him up here, IF he deserves it

Anyways, when Roussel comes back, it will make it even more complicated......

1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

I would switch Lievo and Baertchi in a heartbeat. Lievo has been an AHL guy or a healthy scratch his whole career (since 2013) prior to joining the Canucks. He sure as hell doesn't belong on the PP. His 10 goals last year was a career high as was his 49 games played. 

Goldy doesn't belong on the roster either. He has proven time and time again that he is incapable of playing defense or winning a puck battle on the forecheck. If I was JB I would try to move him for another Roussel type of player. Someone who can play on a physical edge and still pot a few goals every now and again. Those are the types of players we are going to need in the playoffs. The skill guys we have already are way better than Goldy so he's not going to make top six  and he doesn't belong in the bottom six.

I don't disagree with you...I actually think you are right...…..talent wise

Sven is talented....no doubt

But he can not play a hard game.....it isn't him, ….....sorry!

So that puts Persson ahead of him, because he is not as moveable

nor as susceptible to injury......

But as I said in the post above, its about cap, as well, so

wait until Roussel gets back and even one more guy gets sent down or waivered

Probably Gaudette....(just about a sure thing, actually)

I actually think it is great that we have this kind of depth

Wait until, Pod, Hog and Mac get their shots......its coming!

Even Lind, Lockwood and Tyler Madden will be pushing in a couple of years

And Goldy might never make it here...….as you suggest

Pretty cool to see the depth, hey?

I will say this......as Joe says.....in Benning he trusts!

Personally, I think Sven just got caught up in salary cap issues for the most part

The year is young.....for the most part, I am just sitting back and enjoying it

While I can

Cheers

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't disagree with you...I actually think you are right...…..talent wise

Sven is talented....no doubt

But he can not play a hard game.....it isn't him, ….....sorry!

So that puts Persson ahead of him, because he is not as moveable

nor as susceptible to injury......

But as I said in the post above, its about cap, as well, so

wait until Roussel gets back and even one more guy gets sent down or waivered

Probably Gaudette....(just about a sure thing, actually)

I actually think it is great that we have this kind of depth

Wait until, Pod, Hog and Mac get their shots......its coming!

Even Lind, Lockwood and Tyler Madden will be pushing in a couple of years

And Goldy might never make it here...….as you suggest

Pretty cool to see the depth, hey?

I will say this......as Joe says.....in Benning he trusts!

Personally, I think Sven just got caught up in salary cap issues for the most part

The year is young.....for the most part, I am just sitting back and enjoying it

While I can

Cheers

Totally agree with you on Baer. Hoping that his Utica play draws some interest from other teams. I suppose his CAP hit scared some away. Goldy can be AHL depth if needed. Gaudette goes down. Invest some TOI in Virt and Leivo and wait until Roussel returns. I suspect Leivo sits. The 4th line will not be touched IMHO unless injuries hit. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

Clearly we’re needing some skilled guys who can P.K. too. I still believe Baer and Jake could PK as well as Schaller and Motte. 

...or Gaudette...Schaller is missing the puck and his check more than Gaudette would...Gaud would have stopped the cross ice pass that lead to NJ's only goal...where Schaller just wiffed on it...

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken both Baertchi and Goldobin would have to clear waivers to even try this.  While I do have concerns about Horvat's line at the moment, I think it'd be hasty to mess with the #1 penalty kill (which is what your roster adjustments would do).  

Maybe 1 of the 2 and sit Ferland or Leivo for a game or two while you try it out.  (By the way, I think Baertchi wouldn't clear waivers if he's called up now).

11 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

If he comes back he should take Lievos spot on Horvats line. That is where he belongs. Lievo belongs in the AHL.

I agree on Baer ...but Lievo is improving and is an NHL player...we have some pretty amazing depth when the guys who should be in the AHL ...Eriksson and Schaller are also NHL players....just not as talented as Baer or even Lievo.

37 minutes ago, Veskit said:

If I'm not mistaken both Baertchi and Goldobin would have to clear waivers to even try this.  While I do have concerns about Horvat's line at the moment, I think it'd be hasty to mess with the #1 penalty kill (which is what your roster adjustments would do).  

Maybe 1 of the 2 and sit Ferland or Leivo for a game or two while you try it out.  (By the way, I think Baertchi wouldn't clear waivers if he's called up now).

I'm pretty sure the NHL got rid of re entry waivers.

• Like 1