The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 25, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Well, that was a game. Had a lot of good things to say up until that last second goal in the 2nd period. Looked like Petey and Boeser are getting a bit more confident on shooting, those were good shots by both of them. Quinn still is a joy to watch on the ice. Jake got another goal. 

Now for when things started to turn. First, they was some bad playing to finish off that period, you can't let that goal happen. That 3rd goal was blegh, what else do I even say. But at some point, either hear or after goal number 4, THAT is when Green should have used his timeout. We could all see the team wasn't playing well within the first few minutes, shades of that Rangers game, that timeout definitely needed to come out sooner.

At least they played better AFTER the game was tied, although maybe Washington was too tired to keep pressing considering they played the night before.

Knew that they would probably have to win it in overtime, and J. T. Miller had the game winning chance, sad he couldn't get that one. But yeah, considering Markstrom was having an off night, and Oshie is practically a guaranteed shootout goal, it looked like it would pan out the way it did. Beauty of a move by Petey though.

Next game is especially important now, because games like these always feel like ones that previous years teams have allowed to turn into losing skids instead. Let's see if this team is able to pass the test of overcoming a brutal loss.

Those first 2 periods were fantastic. Yes the 2nd goal was weak but I figured it was a one off and we would win this game for sure.

That third though.  Blech. First period this season I feel Marky let us down. (Not that I hold him entirely responsible; the team looked like a shell of the first 2 periods too).

But it's all good. We got a point and we kept up with one of the best teams in the league. I consider it a win overall.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“It’s not good enough. Four-goal lead with 21 minutes left, we’ve got to be better than that in the 3rd. That late 2nd goal hurt. We’ve got to learn from this and move on.” - Horvat

The late 2nd goal really? :huh: Still up by 3 at that point..

Reminds me of the NYR game...dominated the first two periods and fell asleep in the third and completely took their foot off the gas; however, the result was less favourable....taking the pressure off in the third is not a good plan.

I'd rather lose playing hard and full out, than what I just witnessed; the team has a lot better chance of winning playing hard with an aggressive forecheck.

...Boys got to learn how to win

Quinn Hughes was -4 in this game (on the ice for 5 goals against)....he did not have his strongest game...even though, he did make some good plays and had some good rushes.

Edited by Pete M

My take on the game is that honestly, there’s not as much to worry about as people think. In the end, we still outplayed an elite team for the most part.

The loss can be honestly placed strictly on Markstrom. We didn’t get outplayed as badly as the third period score indicated; in fact it was still fairly even. And I’m confident he won’t let this happen again any time soon. Markstrom was shaky from the start, and the 3rd goal was one of the worst I’ve seen from him.

• Cheers 1