The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks VS Kings, October 30, 2019 -- "Don't Lose to a Team Like That!" Edition

Rate this topic

therodigy

52 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Why call him up and let him sit? Leave him be in Utica and continue to play big minutes. Call someone else up if that is the case. 

would you rather make $5,000 per paycheque or $70,000 per paycheque?

that's why. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Ok tonight it begins, the true test of where we are at, To make the playoffs we need to take more points off of the California teams then we let get away. Three games means 6 points up for grabs.Take 4 of them and we are on the way. This is where we want to be. The team should be motivated against Doughty and his big mouth. Just play the way we have been playing and lets get the W.

Tonight's rematch is going to be a good one for sure but I think our true test will be in Nov with 16 games in 30 days. When the metal hits the pedal. Then we'll see whats under the hood.

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I actually noticed one shift that looked like floating, however, I'm no expert and it could have just been strategic positioning?  As everyone battled on the boards and in the corners for the puck, he was off by himself in the center of the ice in our zone, at times, skating in circles (looked like lala land to me to some degree).  Perhaps just giving us an out and someone to pass to in order to get out of our zone.  But it just stood out to me.

I'm not usually critical of our own, but I kind of had a "get in there, Loui!" moment.

Everyone seemed engaged and invested...but he did not stand out or above in that to me.

I have to admit, when I saw the notification of a reply by Deb I was "uh oh" .   You are a better fan than I.  Usually always able to look at things half full. I respect that.

Maybe I shouldn't have responded to the original post. I wasn't being critical of what he did, just amazed at how low the bar we've set now for Louie, that he has a game where he makes one noticeable play, and its like for some, if they had the opportunity, he'd have earned one of the game stars.  He did fine And he'll probably be fine tonight too. Go Louie Go!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Nah, he was alright. Stats look ok. 

Better than most thought he would be.

I don't want to turn this into a Gud thread. I didn't mind losing him. Just didn't agree with all the fire sent his way. I would also like all our team to steer clear of him this Fri.

Someone recently wrote in Pittsburgh that the game is just too fast for him now. His label as a shutdown D doesn't quite fit anymore as he isn't as effective as guys such as Benn or Tanev

19 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Troubles sleeping in finding out the Canucks are 1st in the league in goal differentials.

doughty-canucks.jpg

Well, Doughty had a big hand in helping us achieve the biggest goal differential (now tied for 2nd, Boston is +16). Thanks Drew.

24 minutes ago, kilgore said:

It was a good play.  But a play that is normally expected by a professional NHLer. But I get it,  Louie's bar is set very very low for some. He did an adequate job standing in for Motte, a perennial 4th liner who earns less than million.  Great. Lets celebrate. That was Louie at the top of his game, well rested and all p'd off about sitting, coming back in to prove everyone wrong.   I'm not complaining about his play, I just don't think there should be a double standard. He played OK. But a number of other players played better than OK that game. Just keep things in perspective.

Again, no one is saying anything beyond he played well that game (which he did). No one is "celebrating" or suggesting he's found new legs or anything. He got put in a 4th line role, he did his job. He remained a professional and is finding a way to stick in the league. At the end of day, we want a team full of players contributing towards winning (regardless of salary or any other noise) and he did just that for that game. He's earned another game and he will likely be situated based on a game by game basis to keep him hungry or until he pulls a Schaller this season and shuts up the naysayers. People are just giving credit where credit is due.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dombrova22 said:

Why call him up and let him sit? Leave him be in Utica and continue to play big minutes. Call someone else up if that is the case. 

The team has been trending up for the last few years. Players are being developed during this time. Right decisions have been made and is being shown well this year. Why continue to question the decisions? Things seem to be going right as if the team actually knows what they're doing. Trust the process.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Someone recently wrote in Pittsburgh that the game is just too fast for him now. His label as a shutdown D doesn't quite fit anymore as he isn't as effective as guys such as Benn or Tanev

Well this person in Vancouver wrote that I think he is ok.

He has always been good at pivots at the blue line, stopping zone entry...that and breaking jaws. 

I like Benn an Tanev way more that Gud as Dmen. That said his stats look a touch better than theirs right now and we have been a scoring machine. Still, it's early.

Wait a min, I didn't want to turn this into a Guddy thread!

umm....what's your favourite colour? 

Just now, theo5789 said:

The team has been trending up for the last few years. Players are being developed during this time. Right decisions have been made and is being shown well this year. Why continue to question the decisions? Things seem to be going right as if the team actually knows what they're doing. Trust the process.

Plus, to Hockey Gaud it's the difference between the daily wage he earns on his NHL salary (900,000) vs the daily wage on his AHL salary (70,000)  That's a lot of cash for him.  I'm sure he's happy to be up here, and making the extra dough.  And he's earned that more than any other player in Utica.  Guys like Baer and Goldy have one way contracts.  

3 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Demko should get 30ish games this year. He should play 1  Cali team 

Isn't there a back-to-back on this 3 game trip?  I wonder if the plan is to play Demko in the first or the second of that?

Tonight, I think Marky plays fabulous!  3-2 for us!!!

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Plus, to Hockey Gaud it's the difference between the daily wage he earns on his NHL salary (900,000) vs the daily wage on his AHL salary (70,000)  That's a lot of cash for him.  I'm sure he's happy to be up here, and making the extra dough.  And he's earned that more than any other player in Utica.  Guys like Baer and Goldy have one way contracts.  

I still believe that he could be fast tracked to the NHL if he got more time in Utica playing a harder "shut down" role taking key faceoffs and PKing. I can see why Gaud would appreciate the paycheque, but IMO he could be learning more by playing rather than just practices and watching games. With that said, surely the team knows more behind the scenes than I do, so perhaps Gaudette being around NHLers is a boost as is to learn the tendencies and training of the top level guys.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I still believe that he could be fast tracked to the NHL if he got more time in Utica playing a harder "shut down" role taking key faceoffs and PKing. I can see why Gaud would appreciate the paycheque, but IMO he could be learning more by playing rather than just practices and watching games. With that said, surely the team knows more behind the scenes than I do, so perhaps Gaudette being around NHLers is a boost as is to learn the tendencies and training of the top level guys.

I like your idea that our management sees Gaud as part of the team's future of young players.  So they likely want him up here to bond with those guys.  Makes good sense.  

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, VancouveriteinSanDiego2 said:

I have a White Naslund No C on jersey, my wife has aBlue horvat my dad bought no C boo! And my step son doesn't wanna get stabbed at stadium so bought a Kings shirt haha

Did you get your step son a ticket in the nose bleeds? Cause that's where he belongs if he ain't with us.