The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Oct. 30, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Pettersson won’t win the Hart this year, but he’ll continue to be a rock solid PPG player.   I can definitely see Hughes winning the Calder though.  

If the canucks make the playoffs and Pettersson has 100+ points, he's winning the hart. His main competition at that point would be if Edmonton made the playoffs and McDavid has more points because voters have been wanting to give McDavid the hart for years, but couldn't due to the Oilers missing the playoffs. Edmonton's winning isn't sustainable though and I see them fading. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Stamkos said:

When’s the last time a team had two Calder finalists in the same year?

Also add that to Boeser and Petey, plus Myers winning in his rookie year. Maybe that’s how Benning wants to build a team :bigblush:

Last I can remember was Atlanta with Heatley and Kovalchuck around the turn of the century. 

I think Demko would have to take over for Marky this year and get 50 games. That would be ahead of schedule for the Demmer timeline in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Darius said:

Just going around different forums, listening to the talking heads on the radio....there seems to be a theme..."yeah but lets see what they will do when injuries kick in"...as if it is inevitable.

Typical derp, and expected.  The excuses won't end.

Toronto has ONE significant injury -- how are they doing?  How would Edmonton be if Draisaitl, Neal, or McDavid goes down?  Simple -- LottoLand.

I am so happy with how the team is doing.  Last night I started to laugh at how my expectations have changed.  In previous years when the Canucks would have an early goal scored against them (and it happened a lot) my thoughts would be along the lines of "yikes, wonder how bad this beatdown is going to be?".  Last night when we had the first goal against scored early, I just laughed and thought, ok boys, time to dial it in and pour it on.  Which they proceeded to do.  In fairness, they had the run of play so the goal against was a bit of bad luck, but in previous years our goaltending was less stellar and on several occasions the first shot against us went in the net.  

Not worried about anyone's play on the team, Marky and Demko are solid, defense is so improved over last year.  All our forward lines are contributing, and for those who were alluding to the lack of production from our first line...you've been pretty quiet the past few days.  Still worried?  Relax, it's all good.  Our young players have matured a lot since last season and it's a fun team to watch.  Nice to not hear the whinging about the coaching either.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, A.V.'s slurp said:

Last I can remember was Atlanta with Heatley and Kovalchuck around the turn of the century. 

I think Demko would have to take over for Marky this year and get 50 games. That would be ahead of schedule for the Demmer timeline in my opinion.

Maybe to actually win the Calder. But if he gets 30 games and maintains numbers anywhere close to his current stats, I expect him to be a finalist.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

If Binnington can play 35 games and be a finalist, why not Demko?

If Demko becomes our starter, then yes.  However, as the backup, no.  Quinn Hughes is on pace for 60 plus points.  I fully expected him to surpass 60 points this season and win the Calder.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

I posted several times the past few years wondering what the "Benning is an idiot... no direction no plan... floundering... mixed messages" crowd would say when they woke up one day to find the team winning and competitive. 

It's one thing if one claims they couldn't see the plan (regardless of how many times it was explained) but it's time to look in the mirror.  What's your rationale for what happened -- luck?  Magic?  No, you just entirely missed the plot; too busy despairing and throwing stones at the rebuilding team to enjoy the ride and watch it progress, knowing that better days were ahead. 

Benning took this team from a contender on the downswing 2 years out from a President's Trophy into a full rebuild and back to competitiveness with a young and balanced roster in just 5 years.

Magic, just pure magic I say...and JB and co. are the magicians. If you break it down simply like that I think most will understand...so next time someone asks how we got here...just say f**kin magic man...magic...you simple fool you...(aside from my jest, I agree, it is sweet to see the plan coming full circle!)

• Cheers 1