The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign assistant coaches, Ian Clark to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

We should write to Travis Green and Jim Benning and explain to them why those two positions needed upgrades. I figure we know much more about hockey than they do. I mean, they have only spent their entire lives playing and coaching and being involved in hockey. Also, they don't have the inside scoop like we do. Travis Green probably barely even works with the assistant coaches, and I know Jim Benning never sees them. But we see them all the time on TV standing on the benches and it's almost like we know them better than themselves. Honestly, while I am going down this path, why stop here. I think we should write more letters. Like, clearly Gary Bettman has no clue how to run the NHL. I could do a better job, so could you. I am sure he would like to hear our feedback.

So using one's position as justification, means we wind up bowing down to dictators. Like OMG, imagine if Mike Keenan were in charge of BOLIVIA!?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Little surprised regarding Newell Brown tbh, watching the PP last night was a little frustrating, they have all this momentum to rush in but it's all killed because of the drop pass, just kills the flow into the zone so much. I don't mind the occasional drop pass to free up room, but the amount that they rely on it is just too much. I saw Horvat on one of them just frustrated and wanted to rush it in but everyone else was already just stopped at the blue line with no momentum going in and it just ruined it, because St Louis was already there watching them because they're not moving. They do need a new PP coach with newer ideas.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I truly think we can do better than Newell Brown. However, I'm delighted to hear that Ian Clark will be sticking around; so I'll call that a wash. 

5 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

:wacko:

How do you get any better than I. Clark?

Our goaltending is tops in the league...

Exactly.  Ian Clark has basically made the Canucks the league's goaltender factory (a la Defencemen factory Nashville Predators). 

Not long ago, the Canucks were a goalie graveyard.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Like I just posted, the only coach that is not replaceable is Clarke.  The rest are spare parts.  

Is Manny also a coach?  If so he also definitely deserved to be extended. 

Re: NB - Last night they were using more of a diagonal or horizontal "side" pass than a real drop pass.  I the idea was very bad and did not work well.   They also weren't executing it well.  Someone would pick speed and then as the approached the first PKer pass to another player that was  barely moving.  They would basically do the same thing but a slower speed.  The Blues were waiting for it, I think faking the drop pass would have been much more effective.

Re:Baumer - I would prefer that QH & Tanny play with Petey & the gang as much as possible.   Usually Eddie & TM seem to be paired with them.   They are also playing Eddie way too much - he's going to get injured or suffer an overuse / fatigue related injury soon.  He's 33 and has had a bad back for years.  If they keep playing him 25+ mins / game it's just a matter of time.  Plus he's got 24 PIMs in just 15 games.  He's almost averaging 1 Penalty / game.

• Upvote 1

I really don't know what to think about Brown, he's been hired and fired a few times but seems to land on his feet; he must be somewhat appreciated in the league.

And like many on here said, most teams (not just NHL) use some variant of the drop pass on the power play at least some of the time.

Most leagues (that I have watched anyway) seem to use it as well, whether it be KHL, AHL, SHL, CHL, whatever; there is a purpose to the drop pass.

Maybe we just didn't have the horses before Quinn; there is no doubt almost everything Canuck is better with Quinn Hughes in the lineup.

Baumgartner only played one full NHL season (and that one was with the Canucks) and spent most of his time in the AHL.  His career was a bit like Biega's in that he was in and out of several different teams and had his most success with Vancouver.  He was a 10th overall pick like Quinn but obviously Quinn is a much better player and there is no doubt Hughes will play in the NHL as long as he wants to and as long as he is healthy.  Baumer did not have what it takes to stick with one team and secure a lengthy career in The Show.  It makes me wonder if he is really capable of coaching the defense of a "great team like" the Canucks; can he take us to the Promised Land (and keep us there?  I know there are lots of coaches out there with varying degrees of success as players that still do great jobs; but I am only concerned with Baumgartner here.

As always, I don't know squat, but that's how I think I feel about these two coachs' extensions; probably ok with Newel and still wondering about Nolan.

Management is forging a pretty decent track record of rewarding success and staying loyal to the players and coachs they employ.

I have no problem with these extensions and even if things change and management wants a change, it can be accommodated without too much angst.

It's Frankie's money after all and there ain't no salary cap except on players' remuneration.

8 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Idk it seems to work when hughes does it. Edler not so much. 

that is because Edler does it every time, Hughes does it sometimes and other times he fakes it and rushes it himeslf.

Eddy, I love the guy but he should have a big thought balloon above his head, " I am going to do the secret drop pass... in 3-2-1 NOW!

7 hours ago, luckylager said:

Brash, I think the PCS might be talking for you here.

You're missing the point of a public forum, ie. It's sole purpose isn't a fluff job for management.

I've read the painfully tired commentary before- "they're pros, you're not, so deal with it blah blah, if only I could give Trav a back rub"

Can you point to one thing about Baumer's coaching which is truly impressive, or above average? Same for Newell.

I guess the Canucks were ok to settle on those two for another "term", hopefully one year, because I just don't see them as the guys that coach is to the next level. 

I'd also love to be proven wrong.

I wonder if they shipped around and didn't really find any better options? 

6 hours ago, fecklund said:

For the record, after 15 games:

Exactly what I've been saying. 15 games.

They've been here for years, but they manage to hang around long enough for the boys to string 13/15 good games together and boom. All is forgotten.

Is it really up to the players to force the system to change for them?

Weak sauce.

I'll stop railing on now, but dammit, I swear to spaghetti we could do better.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Should’ve passed on Mr. Drop Pass. 

Every NHL team does it. We probably did it more than normal because we weren't exactly a top skating team in the past. I haven't checked the stats but I'd wager a guess that McDavid doesn't do a lot of drop passes on the PP! With Quinn in the mix, there's more options for breakouts. Edler is a lot of things but powerful skater is not one. He relies more on his hockey IQ and size than his skating ability (can you think of a time he ever tried to go end to end? Ever?). 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I truly think we can do better than Newell Brown. However, I'm delighted to hear that Ian Clark will be sticking around; so I'll call that a wash. 

If Ian Clark was our goalie coach and I traded places with Newell Brown, THAT would be a wash. No idea what they paid Clark but he's worth 7 figures if you ask me. 

Clack has done absolute wonders for Marky and seemingly Demko too... Marky was going nowhere...fast... until Clark arrived at Rogers. Best coaching deal in years...

Baumer and Green seems to have a good bond together stretching back to Utica.... which, together with the good start of the season, may also have a big influence on the extending of contracts...

Brown... who knows... Not going to try and suggest I know better, but agree with LL that they could have given them at least half a season to see, if these 15 games are just, god forbid, a flash in the pan... 

But honestly think, its JB showing the coaching staff that the whole group, from GM and down, are fully in this together now... trust, belief and stability being the key to success.

....or maybe they have gotten wind of other teams sniffing around, and didn't want to lose Clark...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cali Canuck said:

Is Manny also a coach?  If so he also definitely deserved to be extended. 

yah no mention of Manny.. it seems to me that Bo became one of the best in the league after MM came on to coach faceoffs.. 

we had some tough years on the dot, Manny deserves to be extended if he hasn't been