The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

The great thing about Canada is the fact that we can say almost whatever we want. Freedom of speech. Not unless it of course incites violence.

Might not agree with what people have to say or you might find it offensive but you have to respect the fact that they can say it.

Besides Bill C-16 we have pretty good Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Expression laws.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

I don't believe Maclean missed it like he said, he should have stopped Cherry right there and then and corrected him and put him in his place. Maclean is a weak like wet toilet paper and deserves some kind of dicipline for his part. Guilty by association, you let it go you pay the price, too little too late

I agree that McLean, if he is apologizing now for not speaking up at the time, should be held accountable.  Either he thought what Cherry was saying was bad, or he didn’t.  I’m not a fan of McLean’s loyalty.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

There are many ways to remember and honor the war dead.  No one in US wears them except the hockey guys. Majority have no clue what it means.  But Americans are big on veterans day.  Each person can pay their respects in their own way. 

The whole argument/rant by Don was so stupid.  Wearing a poppy or not means nothing. Acknowledging the war and cost of lives is meaningful and showing the surviving vets some respect is proper.   Attacking immigrants is just racist and ignorant. He could have used his pulpit in a much more effective way. But no, he likes to antagonize because "he tells it like it is". 

For current and future generations, they need to understand why wars were fought. Many of the freedoms we have now have actually came much later after the WWII. Black and white Americans did not go fight racism when they killed Nazis in Europe, or the Japanese in Pacific.  They fought becuase their country drafted them or felt the need to enlist because their country or allies were in danger.  Many jews on refugee ships were actually turned away by US, only to be slaughtered in nazi concentration camps.  Returning black soldiers from WWII could not go to the same restaurants or washrooms as white people and also can't vote.   They didn't go to wars to fight for freedom in their own land.  It was freedom from the invaders. 

Even after WWII, France was unwilling to give up their colonies in Indochina.  A country that surrendered to Nazis in less than a month, still felt they were superior to Asians. 

It took decades of civil rights action and protests to get the freedoms we have now for all, which used to belong only to a few. Women had to fight for it too.  Glorification of war without some tough discussions doesn't make us a better society.   

Denigrating the poppy is disrespectful to Canadian vets and kind of offensive.  That’s twice now I’ve read you do that although the ones a little more subtle. 

He wasn’t talking about the US or other countries he was taking about ours.   Maybe learn where the poppy came from, who wrote the poem, what he did before the war and what his sacrifice meant for the county and how it became our special symbol.    In Canada it’s unique to us and our troops.   It’s also tied to the date we acknowledge them.   It’s not about US issues - or other countries struggles - it’s ALL about recognizing and acknowledging and respecting OUR vets, alive and deceased and their sacrifices for our .  Yes freedom comes at a cost, it’s not free, Cherry did his part and lost his job for it even if it wasn’t quite delivered properly -  it’s a message and yes any adult who lives in this country should pay a buck or even a quarter to get theirs.   And wear it with purpose not just because you don’t want to be that guy/girl that doesn’t have one in a coffee shop or rememberance day ceremony.

My grandfather was one of 6000 Canadians in operation Jubilee in 1942.  Less then half came home.  It’s about men (and women) like him this day is for, and a poppy shows at least your level of interest in the subject  is just in case you run into someone that knows me - all the way to utmost respect for vets - alive and deceased.   It’s really pretty simple - don’t complicate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

But he didn't single out honky's, and I think you miss the point, its not as much what he said as it is about where he said it, Rogers takes money from people Cherry offended, whether you think its offensive or not, and pays Cherry his salary. Cherry was not there to give his opinion on anything other then Hockey and when he chooses to go outside the box, like he does often, he opens the door to be diciplined if what he says is not acceptable by Rogers standards. Period.

Except,  up until today, Rogers standards have aided, abetted and, dare I say, encouraged this type of behavior from Don. They are certainly willfully complicit in this whole affair as are Ron McLean and any of us who have not shouted for his removal long before today.

Whatever soap box he's been standing on for 40 years has been constructed by the collective apathy in our country, an unhealthy appetite for jingoistic rants, and, at the corporate level, rationalized greed.

Lots of stones being cast today and many, not very carefully.

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I don't care who you are....you should wear a poppy.

Our freedom came with a cost and we all need to remember that.

Anyone who doesn't respect this as well as those who are altering the poppy to promote their own agendas whatever that may be need to give their heads a shake.

Ohhhh, that doesn't sound like freedom to me, people can remember in any way they choose. Sounds to me like someone has had their head shook too much

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

1 minute ago, zimmy said:

Except,  up until today, Rogers standards have aided, abetted and, dare I say, encouraged this type of behavior from Don. They are certainly willfully complicit in this whole affair as are Ron McLean and any of us who have not shouted for his removal long before today.

Whatever soap box he's been standing on for 40 years has been constructed by the collective apathy in our country, an unhealthy appetite for jingoistic rants, and, at the corporate level, rationalized greed.

Cherry, and those who are on his side of this discussion, are now radical war mongers?  This has to do with wearing a poppy, and not jingoism.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, zimmy said:

Fair point, Maclean should be diciplined as well in my opinion and yes Rogers should have not brought Cherry on board when they took over hockey. But that does not make what Cherry did this time right and take away the right for Rogers to take this opportunity to let him go, extremely long overdue

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m no expert, but don’t most women like having their own bathroom?  Guys are kind of pigs, right?  There is equality and then stupidity.  Women should have their own washrooms.  Men and women are different, and there’s nothing wrong with that.  

image.png.5615e059f803b21a96e2c4b42ba81edf.png

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

There are many ways to remember and honor the war dead.  No one in US wears them except the hockey guys. Majority have no clue what it means.  But Americans are big on veterans day.  Each person can pay their respects in their own way. 

The whole argument/rant by Don was so stupid.  Wearing a poppy or not means nothing. Acknowledging the war and cost of lives is meaningful and showing the surviving vets some respect is proper.   Attacking immigrants is just racist and ignorant. He could have used his pulpit in a much more effective way. But no, he likes to antagonize because "he tells it like it is". 

For current and future generations, they need to understand why wars were fought. Many of the freedoms we have now have actually came much later after the WWII. Black and white Americans did not go fight racism when they killed Nazis in Europe, or the Japanese in Pacific.  They fought becuase their country drafted them or felt the need to enlist because their country or allies were in danger.  Many jews on refugee ships were actually turned away by US, only to be slaughtered in nazi concentration camps.  Returning black soldiers from WWII could not go to the same restaurants or washrooms as white people and also can't vote.   They didn't go to wars to fight for freedom in their own land.  It was freedom from the invaders. 

Even after WWII, France was unwilling to give up their colonies in Indochina.  A country that surrendered to Nazis in less than a month, still felt they were superior to Asians. 

It took decades of civil rights action and protests to get the freedoms we have now for all, which used to belong only to a few. Women had to fight for it too.  Glorification of war without some tough discussions doesn't make us a better society.   

Do you know why Americans don't wear them?

Btw up here we (honour) our troops.

• Thanks 1