The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

23 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I predicted this, Cherry on Fox news, Stupid move by Cherry just shows his true colours. Tucker Carlson is a scumbag and Fox news is a right wing racist so called news station who has no business involving themselves in Canada's business. What respect I had for Cherry is now gone.

Tucker Carlson who says the truth and everyone gets their panties in a wad because they don't like it. And what do they instantly do? What this PC world does these days, start calling the white guy racist. Grow up dude and get a clue with what's happening.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, darnucks said:

Tucker Carlson who says the truth and everyone gets their panties in a wad because they don't like it. And what do they instantly do? What this PC world does these days, start calling the white guy racist. Grow up dude and get a clue with what's happening.

truth? like this kind of garbage?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, darnucks said:

I'm 50 , I think I am grown up enough to call out this kinda crap, Tucker Carlson and Fox news are scumbags who want a race war and are anti immigrant in all ways unless your white. I see some of there crap is spreading to our country and thank god we have freedoms beyond what the US has. One of those freedoms dude is the freedom for you to move south of the border and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Edited by Sbriggs
  • Wat 3

Still, nobody here discussing the good stuff about immigrants and poppies?

Now it’s gone to race. :lol:

Distracted. :frantic:

As far as I can tell, only one of you opinionated, closet experts... ‘you people’... here have engaged in the discussion at the root of this, a question of immigration’s impacts on Canada’s cultural values, heritage and rapidly changing demographics.

‘you people’ talk tabloid new headlines with the best of them and distract yourselves from the hard work of critical thought involved in reframing the discussion into something more productive than calling people names. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

To Cherry's credit, once Carlson starts acting like....Tucker Carlson; Cherry does not look like he's onboard for that $&!#. 

I can't find the tweet but someone else who commented on this said "In that moment, Don Cherry knew what it was like to be Ron Maclean for the last 30 years"

That’s really funny. 

Nice catch. 

From the thread I created....

Skip to 00:34 for the start of her spiel.

In my humble opinion, this is way worse than what Donald S. said given the context of the situation. Just curious to see if she will get fired or if she will be held to a different standard.

Thoughts?

@Bob.Loblaw I am responding to you

Currently 73% of Canada's population is "White". This number is becoming smaller and smaller (which I am happy about). We are beginning to see an influx of minorities that are playing hockey and getting drafted. Look at the Canucks and Jett Woo. Akil Thomas is a guy I know pretty well who plays for the Ice Dogs, is another one. Matt Dumba, Nazem Kadri, Mathiue Joesph, Anthony Duclair, GIvani and Gemel Smith, Darnell Nurse, the Subban family. We aren't there yet, but the numbers are growing. Do I beleive that there are gay players in the NHL? Yes, I am certain of it. But lets think about how many athletes have come out in the NBA, MLB, or the NFL? I am not LGBTQ+ so I cannot comment on why nobody has come out, to pin this just on Hockey culture is a straw man argument. And yes I would spend more to get my kid into hockey if he/she wanted too. My maternal grandparents were immigrants coming from families of +10 siblings and did so for my mother and aunt. It is how I was raised and are part of my values.

Edited by ReggieBush

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

@Ryan Strome @ReggieBush 

If y'all are offended by Jess Allen's comments; I encourage you to get loud about it on social media and maybe it will get her removed from the show. 

I am not offended by either Don's or Jess' comments. I just think that if she is not let go, than we set a dangerous precedent.

16 hours ago, danaimo said:

Cherry should have been canned years ago.  He is just a gimmick.  If your main selling point is the suits you wear, you clearly don't have much to sell.  I stopped watching Coaches Corner years ago because I knew exactly what he was going to say before the suit commercial had ended.  He always appealed to the lowest common denominator, brought very little insight to the game and was like that drunk uncle at a wedding that wants everyone to know what a great success he could have been.  Good riddance.

Now if Roger's Sportnet want a replacement there would be no one better than Mr Rick Bowness.  Widely respected around the NHL by players, GMs and fans.  Years of experience.  When I've heard him speak on radio or TV he always comes across as a classy guy.  He would be my vote.  But of cause, Rogers has to decide whether they want pure entertainment or try a more cerebral option. 

Yeah, I'm sure Rick would be great....and I'm just as sure that no-one would watch.

You might be "done" with Cherry, but there's a reason he's been at this gig for almost 40 years.....

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Trump and Clinton say hi.

Some people may have been okay with it - but I doubt everyone was.

Honestly, I don't think anyone was "okay with it". However, I think most people believe that doing something stupid 20 years ago shouldn't disqualify you for the rest of your life, as long as you admit that it was stupid and show contrition.

12 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Still, nobody here discussing the good stuff about immigrants and poppies?

Now it’s gone to race. :lol:

Distracted. :frantic:

As far as I can tell, only one of you opinionated, closet experts... ‘you people’... here have engaged in the discussion at the root of this, a question of immigration’s impacts on Canada’s cultural values, heritage and rapidly changing demographics.

‘you people’ talk tabloid new headlines with the best of them and distract yourselves from the hard work of critical thought involved in reframing the discussion into something more productive than calling people names. 

People should feel far more indebted to those who gave their lives to preserve freedom than they presently do. The laissez faire attitude towards matters of such importance are truly unfortunate. Personally, (and I'm a first generation Canadian) I feel wearing a poppy has some significance but again, it's a gesture. Walking up to veterans and thanking them for their service to the country we all enjoy is of paramount importance.

I do think that there is a definite difference in how immigrants operate now versus how they used to. Back in the day when my parents came here, or my wife's parents came here, the average immigrant faced a lot more discrimination. My father endured being called a mic and paddy by people here, but didn't let it phase him. My father-in-law stated that he was openly called a wop numerous times but kept his head down and worked his ass off to make a good life for himself, and in turn his family. People from China came here to build the railroad, some of them dying in the process, yet laid roots and embraced the country all the same becoming part of the fabric of the society.

I remember asking the grandfather of a friend of mine, why he chose to stay in Canada when he was being called a plethora of names. He said that he'd rather stay in Canada and become a citizen, than go back to China where he'd be subject to far worse. That perseverance kept him going and eventually helped to shape the society we live in. He said that he wanted to be a Canadian, not just live here, and that he left for a reason.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

did I ever hide them? I'm literally a card carrying Liberal.

I use that language because I hate seeing Don get used by slimy US media, it makes me a little sad for Don tbh. 

I've always wondered what those look like....

...I picture a red and green color scheme, with a picture of a soybean and a latte and a culturally diverse group of people in the background, equally divided between male, female and gender neutral....

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Honestly, I don't think anyone was "okay with it". However, I think most people believe that doing something stupid 20 years ago shouldn't disqualify you for the rest of your life, as long as you admit that it was stupid and show contrition.

Ah - so it's okay to be a bigot as long as you apologize for it?

Got it.

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Does she have a precedent of saying $&!# like this? 

Irrelevant. Understand the context of the situation. A icon of Canadian and Hockey Culture was abruptly fired and you decide to go on an aggressive tangent on Hockey Culture? There was no positive outcome from what she said. At the very least with Don there was a patriotic aspect.