The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 16, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I was at the game. From the very first COL PP I couldn't believe how much time + space they were allowing Mackinnon. That was what cost us.

Look at the OT goal, Horvat lets him go by & drifts off to take Makar (Who didn't even have the puck). They should've had Horvat shadowing Mackinnon in OT.

Atleast we got a point, such a rare comeback to get 2 with the goalie pulled.

Entertaining game, lucked out with the Calvert play continuing and with the equalizer.  

As someone else mentioned, Demko's blocker side might need some work, he was beaten clean 4 times tonight

Great to have Gaudette for that added scoring depth, he Leivo and Baertschi look good together.

How about Nate?  Gee him and McD are like sports cars on a course buzzing around Hummers and other cars clearly not equipped to catch them.

Makar's probably got the top rookie award in the bag, so dominant so early on.

Add on to that the fact that Landeskog, Rantanen, Grubauer were all out and gotta wonder how good this team is at full strength.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, mll said:

Beagle Sutter Motte Ferland Roussel

5 players need to come out - Baertschi, Eriksson, Graovac and then 2 more

Baertschi should not be coming out right now... he is just starting to get his chances and click with his linemates.

He has been setting up at least three scoring chances a game lately.  He should be playing with Bo.

The guy who shouldn't be there is Graovac... he is a plug.  He is -6 and has one point in Utica.

Better to have MacEwen in there... he has 8 pts in Utica... better to have Goldobin who has 16 points in 15 games in Utica.

I would boot Graovac, I would boot Loui... replace them with MacEwen and Goldobin.

Put Mac and Leivo on the 4th line, move Baertschi to Bo's line, move Goldobin to the 3rd line.

Waive the Frigging lousy Swede... he is getting worse every game... has no confidence and no energy.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Entertaining game, lucked out with the Calvert play continuing and with the equalizer.  

As someone else mentioned, Demko's blocker side might need some work, he was beaten clean 4 times tonight

Great to have Gaudette for that added scoring depth, he Leivo and Baertschi look good together.

How about Nate?  Gee him and McD are like sports cars on a course buzzing around Hummers and other cars clearly not equipped to catch them.

Makar's probably got the top rookie award in the bag, so dominant so early on.

Add on to that the fact that Landeskog, Rantanen, Grubauer were all out and gotta wonder how good this team is at full strength.

At our full strength, the Canucks can compete with the best in this league despite the staffs' deployment.

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just the ebb and flows of a long season.

Exactly, so I don't see the justification of the hatred towards LE in a game where he wasn't a problem. There were several other things that could be complained about before LE, so it's baffling to me how this loss has led to the negativity again other than it being people's go to without any other consideration (some people's venting mechanism for a loss?).

• Upvote 1

The 1st unit really needs to simplify. Too much passing, its like they are always looking for someone else to shoot. Seems like they are unsure or lacking some confidence as a group.

There's too much talent on that unit for this kind of inconsistency. You have guys that can shoot, just let whoever has a chance to blast away. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Disgruntler said:

2 nights in a row of The Revenant is a win. Honestly though, am I the only one getting bored of the game in general? And please, creepy fan zealots, just don't 

We got the high of the incredible start to the season. So the bar was set incredibly high. I can see why it's more "boring" now relatively. If we are talking about the past few years, then surely it's because of the fact the team hasn't been doing that well, but this will only make it that much better when we find another level. Personally I've been pretty excited more and more the last few years seeing the team being built and reaping the rewards gradually. Seeing the take over from the old regime to the new and we are still not done yet. The team is still progressing along as I've been expecting over these last few years.

If you're talking the game in general as in the entire league, then I guess it's just perspective because there are many superstar players that are incredibly exciting, but there are teams that don't have these players that have their teams bunker down to get wins which take away from the entertainment but does get wins.

• Cheers 2

My thoughts of the game.....

#1.... Gaudette played well offensively

#2.....Vancouver is a about 3 to 4 years behind Colorado in development

#3.....I see Gaudette developing into a 2nd line center, if he gets wingers

#4.....you are all going to love for this one.....I see Horvat as an elite 3 line center

#5.....Colorado was missing Landeskog and Rantanen

• Upvote 1

lol play should have been blown dead.... this is way different from an injury like blocking a shot in the shin or falling awkwardly or getting his bell rung.. so no the play should have been stopped period.... if the puck hits a guy in the head standing up... 9/10 times the play instantly stops... this guy took a wrist shot close range off the side of his head and is clearly bleeding and hurt.. how can you let the play go on? so what if they pass the puck to the point and the guy takes a slapshot and hit the guy again? not likely but what if? you might end up with a guy suffering life threatening injury taking multiple shots off the head.. the rule should at least be changed to referee discretion when it comes to plays like this.. not oh we keep playing till the other team have possession of the puck.. so what? if the canucks control play for the next 2 mins we just going to leave him continue bleeding on the ice?

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I thought Hughes was more noticable than Makar TBH. Makar was good but not pushing the play like Hughes was.

I get the feeling that this years Makar/Hughes will be 2 years ago Barzal/Boeser.  You'd get Boeser sniping 2 wicked goals while across the continent Barzal was racking up 3 secondary assists.

Don't get me wrong, Barzal deserved to win and Makar deserves the 1/4 season Calder, it just seems like Hughes is doing it the hard way while Makar dishes the puck to McKinnon and puts his hands in the air :P

Edited by Wilbur
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Exactly, so I don't see the justification of the hatred towards LE in a game where he wasn't a problem. There were several other things that could be complained about before LE, so it's baffling to me how this loss has led to the negativity again other than it being people's go to without any other consideration (some people's venting mechanism for a loss?).

The LE situation is truly a sad one because there is alot of blame to go around from management to the coaches and to LE himself.   I dont know what the solution is; but from a fans perspective, all I can ask for from a player is to act like a professional and somehow find a way to win the fans back through your actions.  Perhaps make a momentum changing hit or be an energy player on the ice or be seen as mentoring players on the bench - as a fan it is all about perception but if I was a teammate some substance would matter more as well.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I get the feeling that this years Makar/Hughes will be 2 years ago Barzal/Boeser.  You'd get Boeser sniping 2 wicked goals while across the continent Barzal was racking up 3 secondary assists.

Don't get me wrong, Barzal deserved to win and Makar deserves the 1/4 season Calder, it just seems like Hughes is doing it the hard way while Makar dishes the puck to McKinnon and puts his hands in the air :P

I thought Hughes was really good tonight. He was trying to make things happen by himself.

Makar was good but didn't standout as much individually. Like you said, just get the puck to Mackinnon. Hughes was trying to drive the bus for his team more IMO.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3