The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs fire Mike Babcock, name Sheldon Keefe as new head coach

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

Not really. It seems clear that Babcock and Dubas were at odds. Shanahan is the referee and he made the call. I would imagine that Babcock was given the opportunity to play nicely with Dubas but probably wouldn't yield. Hence the statement yesterday that he would bet on Mike Babcock. Put another way, he was saying that I will do it my way, which likely didn't fit with Dubas' direction.

Bingo, I had the feeling Dubas and Babcock were in a p***ing match and one had to go. 

Dubas piled up the mess and Babcock was supposed to shovel it.  

Shanahan announced the winner (or loser depending only time will tell)

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Babcock would be a good fit, he won with DET and he could win with VAN

Datsyuk - Pettersson

Zetterberg - Horvat

Lidstrom - Edler

Rafalski - Hughes

Franzen - Boeser

Holmstrom - Virtanen

Matthews - pants dropper

Marner - greedy with attitude

Nylander - greedy and lazy with attitude

Tavares - backstabbed his former team to play at home

Rielly - okay, he's good

Please don't ever compare edler to Lidstrom. Not even close. Eddie has had a good career with van but he isn't in the same universe as Lidstrom. The only thing they have in common is that they both speak Swedish.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

"Babcock's teams generally focus on skills and puck possession."

I'll take that over the dump and chase method deployed by Green.  We have Hughes and Pettersson, why on Earth do we deploy dump and chase methods??

Every team does the dump and chase (just like every team does the drop pass). You can bet that Babcock's teams will do it. Miller wanted his linemates to dump it in for him to chase and that's his forte (there's an article about it). He was utilized in this way for the TB PP and until now where he just goes in with speed and uses his size to retrieve pucks. Ferland, Roussel, Motte are all key contributors in making Green's system effective (and it was indeed when most of them were in the lineup). If we didn't care for puck possession, then we wouldn't have some of the best faceoff men in the game for their positions to win possession. Our players are simply lacking confidence right now and passes aren't crisp, so players are reverting to other plays that are less skillful. I highly doubt Green and co are trying to coach the skill out of them aside from making sure they play a 200 foot game rather than just go for offense only.

Babcock couldn't get it done with the personnel he had in Toronto, so what makes you think he can do better here?

• Cheers 1

lol wow, sensitive people here, I only used Edler there because the Canucks don't have a better #1 Dman right now. Edler leads the team in D stats, he's a Canucks legend y'know. But yes, I am aware he's no Lidstrom.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Datsyuk - Pettersson

Zetterberg - Horvat

Lidstrom - Edler

Rafalski - Hughes

Franzen - Boeser

Holmstrom - Virtanen

Matthews - pants dropper

Marner - greedy with attitude

Nylander - greedy and lazy with attitude

Tavares - backstabbed his former team to play at home

Rielly - okay, he's good

If anyone is Holmstrom it would likely be Miller.Virtanen is whoever Detroit kept that should be in the minors,lol.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

He won with Detroit 12 years ago. He has since failed with two teams. Sure he's won various tournaments with a stacked team of the best available players. The Canucks aren't yet that team. What if he came to Vancouver and for some reason took a dislike to Horvat or Boeser or tried to get Petey to play a different way. Would you want him then?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Every team does the dump and chase (just like every team does the drop pass). You can bet that Babcock's teams will do it. Miller wanted his linemates to dump it in for him to chase and that's his forte (there's an article about it). He was utilized in this way for the TB PP and until now where he just goes in with speed and uses his size to retrieve pucks. Ferland, Roussel, Motte are all key contributors in making Green's system effective (and it was indeed when most of them were in the lineup). If we didn't care for puck possession, then we wouldn't have some of the best faceoff men in the game for their positions to win possession. Our players are simply lacking confidence right now and passes aren't crisp, so players are reverting to other plays that are less skillful. I highly doubt Green and co are trying to coach the skill out of them aside from making sure they play a 200 foot game rather than just go for offense only.

Babcock couldn't get it done with the personnel he had in Toronto, so what makes you think he can do better here?

Core guys in TO refuse to play a 200 foot game.  Our core guys are all committed to play the right way.  Babcock is a proven winner when he has key core players who are hyper compete, and willing to play the right way.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

He won with Detroit 12 years ago. He has since failed with two teams. Sure he's won various tournaments with a stacked team of the best available players. The Canucks aren't yet that team. What if he came to Vancouver and for some reason took a dislike to Horvat or Boeser or tried to get Petey to play a different way. Would you want him then?

There is the way that wins and the way that doesn't.That being said Babcock is pretty rigid too,so I wouldn't trust him either.Need a coach that plays no favorites,maybe a little crazy like Tortorella but more organized.

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Babcock would love our young core guys.  Our young core guys are all hyper competitive, and play the right way.  

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't expect any team to NOT dump and chase.  All I know is Babcock's teams focus in on skill and puck possession.  Something this Canucks team was doing well earlier this season.

Green as a player and as a coach emphasizes board battles.  You can see that clearly game after game.  Unfortunately, our top 2 players (Petey and Hughes) don't benefit much from that kinda play.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Babcock would love our young core guys.  Our young core guys are all hyper competitive, and play the right way.  

Don't you think coaching has something to do with that?

Travis is doing fine. the grass isn't always greener on the other side. In fact, with Babs, I'd say it's started to turn brown....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ladies & Gents...HALL & OATES!!!

What they got, good stock of gaffes & D that scatter

New coach to hush the natter

& press that can't explain...ooh yeah

But Duube.. he made these screams come true!..

On a slump, where bad dreams, still haunt the dreamer

Becomin' '67- screamer!

Waffles bouncin' outa' plaaace..oh yeah,

But Duube, he F***ed this franchise through(oooh oh x3)

Well, well, well Duube

Paper bags, shades of blue(ooh ooh ooh x2)