The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs fire Mike Babcock, name Sheldon Keefe as new head coach

Rate this topic

Dumbest move they could’ve done. It even beats the Nylander signing.

That kid should’ve been traded; not signed.

It messed up the entire team.

Watch Nylander demand a trade at some point because of the pressure.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 2

I think Babcock will be unemployed only as long as he chooses to be. 

I still he he is a great coach on a team with significant overspending problems, an average goalie  and a shaky defense, not to mention that the overall control of the team rests with Doogie Howser who leaves a good hockey mind out in the lurch.

Pretty hard to win that way., I think Babcock will find another team and improve them immediately, much the same as Gallant has done in Vegas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I dare any Leafs fan come on the CDC and try to sell that bill of goods.

:bigblush:

image.thumb.png.8a5e5805896a9eaf4946c77606274755.png

image.thumb.png.fb4181c692d84c9c21dfc6aa3045a9f8.png

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Babcock is probably overjoyed to not be taking orders from Harry Potter anymore. Clearly Toronto has a hipster hard-on for Dubas and fails to see that he's a hack in way over his head.

Almost no question.  feel sorry for Babs really at this point.

But the cries of OMG we have Babcock the cup is ours are...silent

• Upvote 1

Not sure where I stand on the Babcock is overrated argument. Coaches that has the winning record he has and the reputation he has are in general seldom overrated though.

As for Green - this is already his 3rd season as head coach. Maybe he will get another year, but beyond that I would be very surprised to still see him here and even more surprised if he is the coach when the team is ready to contend. I don't think that was ever in the cards either. He's still a rookie coach for a young rebuilding team and needs time as an assistant in the NHL to have a chance of becoming a coach that wins in the playoff IMO.

The idea of getting Babs is definitely intriguing, though...

Just now, Warhippy said:

Almost no question.  feel sorry for Babs really at this point.

When the smoke clears, it'll be quite obvious as to who truly was the architect of the Laffs continued suckage.

He likes creating feedback loops using two phones.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Just now, Warhippy said:

But the cries of OMG we have Babcock the cup is ours are...silent

Laffs fans are too stupid to know any better.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

lmao what is up with Mike Commodore? What does he have against Babs. Check those tweets. 

From Wikipedia:

Commodore has been very open over his disapproval of Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock. Commodore has stated he was "screwed over" by Babcock while with the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks of the AHL, claiming Babcock refused to play him in favour of new addition Kurt Sauer. The relationship worsened nine years later, after Commodore signed with the Red Wings, who Babcock was coaching. Commodore states this signing is what ended his career in the NHL. Commodore claimed that Babcock misled him by telling him he was wanted as a physical presence; Commodore would remain a healthy scratch for a month and a half to start the season before playing in two games, and was then scratched again until December, only reentering the line up when, according to Commodore, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland ordered Babcock to play him. Commodore would go on to say he was traded out of Detroit "because Holland felt bad [for me]", referring to his lack of playing time.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Babcock is still an experienced coach that has been able to coach teams to championships.  Is he has godly as some people make him out to be?  No.  Could he be an upgrade on Green?  I'd say so given his experience alone. 

Having an experienced coach for our inexperienced roster would be pretty valuable.  Green (an inexperienced coach) leading an inexperienced team into battle doesn't sit well with me.

But what happens when that experience might not translate anymore? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

But what happens when that experience might not translate anymore? 

Then we simply have another Travis Green.  No big deal.  Worst case scenario, we have another Green.  Best case scenario, we have a proven championship winning coach.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1