The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Nov. 23, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Caps announcer said Hughes was out there for the entire 5 minutes of OT. Is that true!?

No, Myers was on in OT I'm pretty sure. 

7 minutes ago, JamesB said:

1. After the last game I repeated the old adage that "usually the team with the better goalie wins". I might as well say it again. Actually, both goalies were very good but Marky came up huge again, especially in the shootout.

2. Unlike the Nashville game, this game was relatively even. The shots were almost exactly even. More significantly, the high danger chances were also close. Natural Stat Trick had the high danger chances at 13 to 11 for Washington. The Capitals did have a cross-bar and a post. But it was close overall and the Canucks had good chances to go ahead, including a great chance for Horvat in the third period, and several good looks on the PP.

3. Usually afternoon games in the east (morning games for the biological clock of western teams) are tough and the Canucks do not have a good record. And the Canucks did start slow, but they really fought through the early tough going. And especially with Edler out for most of the game, this one was a big team win.

4. The entire D came up with a very good effort after Edler went down. Hughes was great. It must feel good for the forwards to know that if they pass the puck to Hughes that he will not only handle it cleanly but usually do something good with it. 

5. After a character win like this it seems a  bit too negative to complain about coaching decisions. But I do question playing Graovac over Baertschi. Graovac scored on the PP in the last game and he was out there on the second unit PP again today, but I thought he hurt that unit. He just does not handle the puck cleanly enough often enough. Baer is much better on the PP. Of course, Graovac is in there because he is bigger, stronger, and tougher than Baer, and is maybe more defensively responsible. But in the first period after Ovie put a big hit on Edler and took the puck, Graovac was right there and had the opportunity to make a hit but did nothing. Miller actually came in and made a hit on Ovie. Graovac did play decent defence today, and maybe Green is right that he is more valuable to the team than Baer right now. But I hope Baer goes back in. 

6. Back to Miller. He had a great game today. He made an excellent play on the Petersson 5 on 3 goal, bringing the puck straight toward the net and forcing the Washington player at the apex of the triangle to move toward him. But the Washington player did not have a stick to block the passing lane so Miller was able to make a great pass to EP, who had a great look at the open corner and buried the puck. EP also played an excellent game. 

7. I was disappointed in Virtanen's game. Washington's goal came about because Virtanen lost a puck battle to Eller. Hughes came in to help but was not strong enough to win the puck battle. If Virtanen had kept in the play it would have helped.  Eller made a nice pass to Vrana. Gaudette should have picked up Vrana but that is a tough play to make. Despite that "mistake" by Gaudette, he played a good game. I continue to like Gaudette better at 3C than Sutter. 

8. Eriksson did not do much at 5-on-5, as usual, and is now 0 for 13 (no points in 13 games). But I have to give him some credit for playing well on the PK. Shaller was also good on the PK and Tanev was a rock on the PK  with Edler down. 

9. Great to see Horvat get the shootout winner. He had a tough battle today. He led the team in TOI with over 26 minutes and played a lot against the Ovie line. And, as usual, he took a lot of key faceoffs. He must have been worn out but he came up big in the shootout. He must feel great to be able to lead by example like that.  

1.  Yep that’s often the case.

2. The game was very evenly played - and back and forth chances - both goalies were very good

3. After the early goal the team settled in - and also seemed to galvanize over Edler leaving - Myers was great playing on his off wing too...

Well too many numbers.  No Bear shouldn’t have been in the lineup / Big G could have had two goals this game - put himself in the right position just couldn’t finish.  Much rather talk about the questionable use of Leivo - he had two muffins too - and was used before Horvat in the shootout (and on the second PP unit)...Critical of JV but have to wonder what he might done in his place instead of fourth line minutes.  Would have rather watched him in the shootout too.  LE made a great play for a sure goal too...too bad there was no finish - one of those eleven chances. Yes great to see Horvat fake and then score a goal.  We owned them 3 x 3 even with it without the PP - we deserved the W. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Great game. It's nice to see such jump back in the boys.

Edler's injury, I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually from the Ovechkin hit early in the game, maybe tweaked Edler's back from it or something. That's my guess, as it was a very heavy hit.

Edler took skate blade under the arm pit when, by the boards when the opposing player kicked his skate up, trying to keep balance.  It was shown in the WA feed, and the announcers pointe it out.

31 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Quote implies by virtue of just being big scoring on him is hard. Not that his talent was tricky to get pucks past him.

I mean size is part of being a goalie. That’s part of why Markstrom is a good goalie. It’s a compliment.

If he was 6’1 Im not sure he’s in the league.

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

dler's injury, I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually from the Ovechkin hit early in the game, maybe tweaked Edler's back from it or something.

He took a skate blade to the armpit area, after a Washington player fell down.

53 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We made the Caps look bad today

I don't think the Caps played bad at all today. They pressed hard and had lots of good chances. They were clearly the better team in the first period. Had our team, and especially Markstrom, not risen to the occasion it may have been a completely different outcome.  We played well all over the ice in the 2nd and 3rd and got rewarded for it. 

Edited by CptCanuck16
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

I don't think the Caps played bad at all today. They pressed hard and had lots of good chances. They were clearly the better team in the first period. Had our team, and especially Markstrom, not risen to the occasion it may have been a completely different outcome.  We played well all over the ice in the 2nd and 3rd and got rewarded for it. 

This 

20 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

IMO.  This team has yet to play to its fullest potential ,  close when we were out of the gate,.  But still missing Rousell to injury does not amount to your fullest potential of dressing your best / all healthy line up , night after night.

Im looking forward to having Rousell, Motte, Ferland, Edler and anybody ailing to be of “full charge” in the near future, this is a well balanced team and when everyone is getting 12 - 18 mins a game we are functioning at a high end.

Tbh, with this team's injury history we may not see this team at 100% healthy and at its full potential.

• Cheers 2