The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Nov. 23, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Pretty clear to me that Benning and Green want a heavier team that will be more competitive in CUP play. They give up some offence by sitting Baer but at the end of the day it is about playoffs. There is likely enough offence on this team to make playoffs without Baer. IMHO he has to be moved. 

Who would trade for him at his salary?

Hes going back to Utica  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

People have to stop doing this.

Continually making excuses when we find success.  The division, the other team, the whatever.  How about giving credit where it's due?  Because when we lose and use some of the reverse rationale (tough division), it's called making excuses.

We made the Caps look bad today.   Believe me, OV cares...he whined at the ref and the team seemed to lack a response and somehow has grown  a sense of being entitled to winning (like their fans who visit other boards).  They seemed frustrated that we kept coming at them and Marky stood on his head.  It's about us, not just them.  Our team didn't care (that they were "the best").

It was a matinee ON THE ROAD for us too and, Cap time, was actually 12:30...not the God awful Canuck time of 9:30 (+ travel lag).

We're 6th in the league if you consider ties/points and that's not because of other teams, it's in spite of them.

I honed in on the end part earlier in a chirp back, but feel this entire thing is something I'd like to address.  If you don't believe in the team, that's fine...but that's your deal, not theirs.

Let me sum up for ya

"Hey! This team is for real, deal with it!"

• Upvote 1

Glad to see Markstrom back in form. Isn't it odd, that when the team struggled, he struggled? To me it was his personal life that affected his game. This gives me all the more confidence in this team, this is a tight a group as I've ever seen with a Canuck team since 1970. They're growing together and things are going to get very interesting in this City for the next many years.

Watching Hughes fly on the ice is an eye opener, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use their edges the way he does. Pettersson is making seasoned NHL'ers look silly with his skill, JT Miller has been an awesome pickup, regardless if it cost a first rounder. Boeser is on pace for 30 plus, Bo, hasn't got going yet, and he usually doesn't until December. But, he is still nearly a point per game guy. Demko is waiting in the wings, and is more than ever showing Canuck fans that he is a grade AA goalie prospect. 

BTW, did anyone notice the exchange between Wilson and Pettersson prior to the start of OT? I don't think he was trying to get under EP's skin, it looked like a don't break my ankles on this shift moment.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Agreed. He's a good hometown kid, but at this point in his career they should do him right and either play the kid or trade him for a player that the coach will use.

Or continue his development under  TG so he might finally become a player the coach will use more?

Or do him a right and trade him?  I say Earn your ice time, succeed or fail, it's up to Jake not TG

Tick tock tick tock time will tell

22 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Or continue his development under  TG so he might finally become a player the coach will use more?

Or do him a right and trade him?  I say Earn your ice time, succeed or fail, it's up to Jake not TG

Tick tock tick tock time will tell

he's more than earned that chance.  At this point it's obviously an issue and they are better off just letting him get a fresh start somewhere else.  The kid is on a pace to score 20-25 and he gets put on the 4th line, behind Mac, Leivo and Pearson?  He needs to get away from TG, imo.

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

he's more than earned that chance.  At this point it's obviously an issue.  They are better off just letting him get a fresh start somewhere else.  The kid is on a pace to score 20-25 and he gets put on the 4th line, behind Mac, Leivo and Pearson?  He needs to get away from TG, imo.

That's your opinion, however, it's not shared by all.

Imagine him under a coach who'll poke him in the shoulder as he's on the bench, yelling in his ear?  Travis is being patient and providing opportunity that coincides with how he responds to it.  But others also get a chance, too, in a shared opportunity and the minutes reflect that.

Took that penalty in the first and just still seems "disconnected" at times...we don't know if he's gassed on the bench or ?  The coach sees all of it...not just what we're seeing on camera.

He has been really good in spurts and it's more a matter of consistency.  I love how he plays but also understand the need to play a physical game and be completely invested, which happens in waves more than a constant thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

he's more than earned that chance.  At this point it's obviously an issue.  They are better off just letting him get a fresh start somewhere else.  The kid is on a pace to score 20-25 and he gets put on the 4th line, behind Mac, Leivo and Pearson?  He needs to get away from TG, imo.

The guy is on pace for 20-25 goals and he needs to get away from TG? Jake has progressed as a player every year under Green. If Jake didn't like Green, he would've demanded a trade a long time ago as pretty much his entire professional career has been under Green.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That's your opinion, however, it's not shared by all.

Imagine him under a coach who'll poke him in the shoulder as he's on the bench, yelling in his ear?  Travis is being patient and providing opportunity that coincides with how he responds to it.  But others also get a chance, too, in a shared opportunity and the minutes reflect that.

Took that penalty in the first and just still seems "disconnected" at times.  He has been really good in spurts and it's more a matter of consistency.  I love how he plays but also understand the need to play a physical game and be completely invested, which happens in waves more than a constant thing.

when a player is on a pace to score 20-25, without consistent top 6 mins and getting shuffled all over the lineup, and gets demoted behind guys on pace to score less than 10 or guys who just got called called up, there's obviously an issue. 

The consistency "issue" is a red herring, imo.  I don't see that in him anymore than I see it from anyone else on the team.

Edited by stawns
  • Thanks 1

Just now, theo5789 said:

The guy is on pace for 20-25 goals and he needs to get away from TG? Jake has progressed as a player every year under Green. If Jake didn't like Green, he would've demanded a trade a long time ago as pretty much his entire professional career has been under Green.

so would you put Pearson, Mac and Leivo ahead of a guy who is having a solid season, demote him to the 4th line with 8 mins of ice?

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

when a player is on a pace to score 20-25, without consistent top 6 mins and getting shuffled all over the lineup, and gets demoted behind guys on pace to score less than 10 or guys who just got called called up, there's obviously an issue. 

The consistency "issue" is a redd herring, imo.  I don't see that in him anymore than I see it from anyone else on the team.

In this game, there's no room for ego and "demoted" is a negative way of looking at how things are managed.  But another way of seeing it is "we need this guy out there right now" so others can get a look/opportunity.  Jake obviously hasn't solidified things yet...that's the beauty of having some depth and the ability to check others out (too).  We've seen guys bolt over ice time...it becomes their issue, not the teams (that can move on/away from players who don't like the coaches doing their jobs).  I feel like Jake understands and isn't really unhappy...not sure why we should be?

You look at it as him as having success in an "on pace" way that would automatically carry through the duration of extended minutes...perhaps his success is, in part, due to not being pressed too hard for too much...that it allows him to develop slowly and without much pressure?

He seems to be ok with what is happening so I feel we should be too?  It's working...the fact that he's scoring goals supports that.  However, he needs to be a physical force and use his size out there a bit more...finesse is only part of it.  We NEED grit and he's a guy that would be counted on for some of that.  Consistently.  

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

In this game, there's no room for ego and "demoted" is another way of saying "we need this guy out there right now" so others can get a look/opportunity.  Jake obviously hasn't solidified things yet...that's the beauty of having some depth and the ability to check others out (too).  We've seen guys bolt over ice time...it becomes their issue, not the teams (who can move on/away from players who don't like the coaches doing their jobs).  I feel like Jake understands and isn't really unhappy...not sure why we should be?

You look at it as him as having success in an "on pace" way that would automatically carry through the duration of extended minutes...perhaps his success is, in part, due to not being pressed too hard for too much...that it allows him to develop slowly and without much pressure?

He seems to be ok with what is happening so I feel we should be too?  It's working...the fact that he's scoring goals supports that.  However, he needs to be a physical force and use his size out there a bit more...finesse is only part of it.  We NEED grit and he's a guy that would be counted on for some of that.  Consistently.  

so other player get the benefit of "projections" but not Virtanen?  If they're not going to use him, then they should trade him for a different piece that fits their plan more.........he's a pretty attractive chip to play.

58 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Most likely. Isn't he a UFA after this season? 

One more year.  

Would think he will get bought out if they can't trade him.  A trade at 50% retained (1.68M) would be better cap wise than a buyout (1.76M + 800K in year 2). 

11 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

My bad, I meant is, if TG wants to try something, my suggestion can be considered but of course, keeping the current lotto line is good too!

From what I see is Jake is playing a bit scared. That I would put partial blame on TG. Even watching him play, every time I see him make a small mistake, he gets benched. That's whY he is not hitting as much and just doing things safe. And also, he seems to play so much better with more minutes.

I get that. he probably is playing scared, but we only had 12 hits to the Caps 27 in this game. nobody is hitting on our team and I wonder why?