The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) TB - VAN

We won't see Boeser's offensive peak for another two-three years and as far as his defensive and overall game, I expect that to peak in 4-5 years.  

I don't think that Tampa makes that trade to be honest with you.  We may be able to pull out a Zucker and 1st round pick out of Minnesota Wild though.  All hypothetical, I don't think he's going anywhere.  

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Why does Tampa trade a 90 point 23 year old C for a 22 year old one dimensional 55 point winger? 

Why does Vancouver trade a guy with 24 points in 26 games for a player with only 17 points in 19 games who is smaller than little Johnny?

Oh and what did little Brayden do in the playoffs last year?  The same as little Johnny, nothing...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why does Vancouver trade a guy with 24 points in 26 games for a player with only 17 points in 19 games who is smaller than little Johnny?

Oh and what did little Brayden do in the playoffs last year?  The same as little Johnny, nothing...

Talk to me when Boeser puts up a 90+ point season.  Tampa wouldn’t consider this trade for a moment.  

Also. Way to gauge a players value in a 4 game sample.  Very scientific 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Talk to me when Boeser puts up a 90+ point season.  Tampa wouldn’t consider this trade for a moment.  

Talk to me when Point does something of relevance.  Getting 90 points on a stacked team once in his career does not translate to anything long term.  He’s on pace to get less points than Boeser this year.  And Boeser doesn’t need to put up 90 points.  He needs to get us 40+ goals, which he is on pace for.  If he can play a full season and get 40+ goals then he is just as valuable to us as Point is to Tampa, if not more.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Talk to me when Point does something of relevance.  Getting 90 points on a stacked team once in his career does not translate to anything long term.  He’s on pace to get less points than Boeser this year.  And Boeser doesn’t need to put up 90 points.  He needs to get us 40+ goals, which he is on pace for.  If he can play a full season and get 40+ goals then he is just as valuable to us as Point is to Tampa, if not more.

Conventional wisdom says top line centres are worth far more than top line wingers.  And Point has already put up a 41 goal season. He’s been more consistently productive over his career so far and plays a more important position. No one is saying Boeser isn’t a good player. But so far he doesn’t measure up to Point

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting proposal, however I might need to say no.  
Reason being, position-wise, I wonder if Point could have the same impact for our team as Boeser, especially when it comes to the PP.

Don't get me wrong, Brayden's elite (at least in his situation and with what he's been able to do), he's got face-off skills, blistering game-breaking speed that this team could sorely use and deft hands.  The reason that I wonder about this move though is because I don't see how we could replace Brock on our power-play.  I for one have not seen Brayden uncork a one-time shot with the same wheelhouse that Brock has, and his role on the Lightning power-play makes me wonder if he has that in him.  Stammer is the one getting his big shot unleashed, and if we lose Brock, would we go back to Sutter/ Leivo/ Gaudette on the left wall?  That's nowhere near the same kind of threat. 

I also wonder if Brayden could be the product of his environment.  The Lightning's 3 in the umbrella of Kucherov, Stamkos and Hedman draw so much attention (Kuch could shoot or pass like Pete, Stammer is an improved Brock and Hedman moves like Hughes) that, with Brayden in the bumper or net front role, he's the beneficiary of various tips and rebound tries that may very well have padded his stats.  What's more, we already have a couple of really good bumper and net front guys (Miller/ Horvat on PP 1, and a mix of Pearson/ Leivo/ Virtanen on PP 2 from what I've seen).  We'd be tearing a hole in our roster composition to patch up what's already good to go, and pure scorers like Brock are few and far between and teams hesitate to give them up.  With no one individually dynamic enough to skate and create holes in coverage on our team (Pete isn't there, let's be honest) I wonder if Brayden's production would suffer, and the rest of the team with it, if he was the replacement coming back.        

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Conventional wisdom says top line centres are worth far more than top line wingers.  And Point has already put up a 41 goal season. He’s been more consistently productive over his career so far and plays a more important position. No one is saying Boeser isn’t a good player. But so far he doesn’t measure up to Point

Based on what?  One good year?  He put up 66 points 2 years ago in 82 games.  Boeser did 56 points in 69 games.  Their PPG is almost identical so far in the NHL and Point according to you is a #1 centre while Boeser is a winger who is less valuable.  

#1 centres in this league aren't the size of little Johnny.  When Point does something of relevance in the playoffs give me a call...

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Based on what?  One good year?  He put up 66 points 2 years ago in 82 games.  Boeser did 56 points in 69 games.  Their PPG is almost identical so far in the NHL and Point according to you is a #1 centre while Boeser is a winger who is less valuable.  

#1 centres in this league aren't the size of little Johnny.  When Point does something of relevance in the playoffs give me a call...

Point has 17 points in 21 career playoff games.  I'd say that’s relevant. 

• Upvote 3

You know?

Funny thing! Both teams maybe say no?

We have Petey & Bo up the middle. Need help on the wing.  

I would say I crave that speed & agility in the line up. Look at how exciting Quinn Hughes is?  :bigblush:

Both teams were better with JT Miller on their side...

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I mean, to be fair, you keep bringing up playoffs but last I checked Boeser’s done nothing in the playoffs either. And Point is near a PPG, 17 points in 21 games. 

Yes you’ll bring up they are a good team but Point is hardly a passenger. Kid is small but he’s a stud. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hall of Famer Scotty Bowman believes that Point is a top-10 C in the NHL.   Early last season Boudreau was saying that he's the player that no one knows how great he is.  Says he's a tremendous player.  Called him the catalyst of the Tampa team and the one that makes everything run.

9 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Point has 17 points in 21 career playoff games.  I'd say that’s relevant. 

One point in last years playoffs and a -5.  Looks like he was a one year wonder and people have figured him out.  Not hard to stop a guy in the playoffs when they are 170 pounds soaking wet.  Look at little Johnny.  They have him all figured out too  I'd rather have a sniper like Boeser who can put up big numbers on the PP and is 203 pounds.  At least he can battle in the corners and play a good physical style in the playoffs.  Look at what St. Louis is doing.  They just resigned Troy Brouwer.  Benning signed Ferland, Myers and Benn in the summer.  Benning knows what he needs come playoff time in order to win.  And it's not 170 pound guys who play on the perimeter.

• Upvote 1