The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anatomy of money laundering in B.C. real estate: 12 cases, $1.7 billion, 20 countries and 30 banks

CBH1926

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canada / Canadians so naive.....    easy pickings....

You are so right. Graft and bribery exists around the world and is present here in BC. When people are prepared to look the other way it feeds on itself and will truly corrupt the province and country. Good for the Dippers that they blew the whistle but they haven't done much since. The Liebels work away to get re-elected but won't acknowledge their role they played letting this get established. Politicos of all stripes have a history of taking under the table payments. When I see any of them actually do some jail time I will know things are actually changing.  

• Upvote 1

It’s the sad truth that nobody wants to face. Is it racism if it’s actually happening???  No longer a blanket statement or generalization. But again we say anything and we are called a racist. Just causes more internal resentment and hate. Oh Canada...:picard:

Edited by EP Phone Home

5 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

It’s the sad truth that nobody wants to face. Is it racism if it’s actually happening???  No longer a blanket statement or generalization. But again we say anything and we are called a racist. Just causes more internal resentment and hate. Oh Canada...:picard:

And people wonder why that word isn't taken as seriously anymore when it seems to be a get out of jail free card for piss poor behaviour and decorum.

• Upvote 2

On 11/29/2019 at 8:32 PM, Lancaster said:

There will always be loopholes. 

All they need are legal residents as fronts to own the places.  

The problem I see with this sort of mentality though is then we are looking for the "perfect" solution. Yet, in this sort of situation, having any deterrent is still better than no deterrent. It could also even be a temporary fix as we look for a better solution to solve the problem that you just mentioned.

No action at all while we try and come up with a better solution only adds to the problem.

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The problem I see with this sort of mentality though is then we are looking for the "perfect" solution. Yet, in this sort of situation, having any deterrent is still better than no deterrent. It could also even be a temporary fix as we look for a better solution to solve the problem that you just mentioned.

No action at all while we try and come up with a better solution only adds to the problem.

It's already happening right now.  

All they need is some relative that's a legal resident to "own" the property... and then have some contract in place outside of the purview of government.  Wealthy folks are the ones least impacted as they have the means and resources to find loopholes.  There's a reason the same wealthy folks are able to minimal their tax liabilities too.  

Using residency as a requirement is useless when this is a very transient city with huge influx of immigrants.  If anything, the emphasis should be on tracing the source of funds.

If a student with no income is buying up a penthouse in Coal Harbour, the government should really be tracking down on the source.  

Christy Clark and Malcolm Brodie should be swinging on ropes for what they allowed to happen to this province. The unchecked greed on display by the vile provincial government led by Clark is an insult to generations of British Columbians. Hundreds of homes sit empty in the lower mainland because of the foreign scumbags who paid there way into the province.

While I am all for the reform of laws to enact proper change to ensure that the actual citizenry isn't screwed over again, the public should demand justice and hold the human refuse, that let this occur, accountable. I agree with the French revolution mentality though. Scorched earth all the way.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

It's already happening right now.  

All they need is some relative that's a legal resident to "own" the property... and then have some contract in place outside of the purview of government.  Wealthy folks are the ones least impacted as they have the means and resources to find loopholes.  There's a reason the same wealthy folks are able to minimal their tax liabilities too.  

Using residency as a requirement is useless when this is a very transient city with huge influx of immigrants.  If anything, the emphasis should be on tracing the source of funds.

If a student with no income is buying up a penthouse in Coal Harbour, the government should really be tracking down on the source.  

What I'm saying though is that to prevent further things from happening, action needs to take place rather than looking for that "perfect solution". If we just hum and haw and possible solutions without acting on them, we continue to lose. Mitigating at least some of the problem while we try and come up with better ideas is still likely to have a better impact than if we wait on it.

Of course it's already happening right now. That's why I say doing something now, even if not the perfect solution, is still a better idea than waiting. It's not useless if it even deters some of the culprits. I'd even argue that there is no solution will ever fully solve the problem. Look at cyber-security: it's a never ending battle between good and evil. The same's going to happen with the real estate industry.

Edited by The Lock

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Christy Clark and Malcolm Brodie should be swinging on ropes for what they allowed to happen to this province. The unchecked greed on display by the vile provincial government led by Clark is an insult to generations of British Columbians. Hundreds of homes sit empty in the lower mainland because of the foreign scumbags who paid there way into the province.

While I am all for the reform of laws to enact proper change to ensure that the actual citizenry isn't screwed over again, the public should demand justice and hold the human refuse, that let this occur, accountable. I agree with the French revolution mentality though. Scorched earth all the way.

Problem is that justice can’t be served when it goes as deep as the top in government. The public would have to make a stand and revolt for anything to truly change. Things have gotten so corrupt that we are just helpless bystanders with the Monopoly money flying around, exotic cars that ICBC can’t keep up with, and empty homes that have been priced out so Canadians who live here can’t afford now. We can all hope for change but I would say the revolution mentality is the only way we can see things change. It will only get worse before it gets better, so be it. 

BC= Best Corruption 

• Cheers 1

Just now, EP Phone Home said:

Problem is that justice can’t be served when it goes as deep as the top in government. The public would have to make a stand and revolt for anything to truly change. Things have gotten so corrupt that we are just helpless bystanders with the Monopoly money flying around, exotic cars that ICBC can’t keep up with, and empty homes that have been priced out so Canadians who live here can’t afford now. We can all hope for change but I would say the revolution mentality is the only way we can see things change. It will only get worse before it gets better, so be it. 

BC= Best Corruption 

I heard BC stood for Bring Cash.

I hope people here eventually do make a stand against this vile corruption and tear things down. The way things are going, peaceful protesting won't get it done anymore.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I heard BC stood for Bring Cash.

I hope people here eventually do make a stand against this vile corruption and tear things down. The way things are going, peaceful protesting won't get it done anymore.

Meh, it's more important to cater to a bunch of rich white people protesting on a bridge and making ordinary working people late for work. 

On 12/2/2019 at 3:51 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

Some threads sure trigger people (climate change & trump)..LOL!  I blame video games and keem ;P 

Back on topic: Deb makes a great point about Richmond that I totally agree with and we will get that fool Brodie out one of these days just as we got his right hand man Dang out last election.... 

Interesting you mention Trump triggering people. I think you've been triggered more than a few times lol

10 hours ago, nucklehead said:

wait wasn't this Christy Clarks fault?

Lol

9 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It doesn't matter. They're both guilty and complicit to some extent

Pretty sure it was going on before 2001 wasn't it? I think what knucklehead is getting up is that so many of you guys blame the BC liberals yet The NDP as you say is also complicit in it yeah. They told everyone they would fix it.

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol

Pretty sure it was going on before 2001 wasn't it? I think what knucklehead is getting up is that so many of you guys blame the BC liberals yet The NDP as you say is also complicit in it yeah. They told everyone they would fix it.

BC Liberals and NDP are one in the same actually.    That is why young people are giving up  / gave up on politics and elections......

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Interesting you mention Trump triggering people. I think you've been triggered more than a few times lol

In the thread about him yup. I will say he is a far greater danger overall to the world and Canada than the Alberta Wexit nonsense. But hey JT bad,  I agree hehe.

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

A little off this topic, but at least the real estate prices have started coming down slowly.  

It's still out of reach for any normal person that doesn't have parents who can toss them 100,000$ for a downpayment, but it's a start. 

I'm in favour of the restrictions that NDP have put in over the last couple of years.  BC Liberals really fcuked us for the last 15 years.