The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Alex Galchenyuk

Rumors/Speculation coming from the remains of Elliotte Friedman's stache is that Chucky (26 years old in Feb) could be on the way out once Pittsburgh gets healthy. And with his vastly diminished role the last few games and on the season as a whole it kind of speaks to this having some weight to it. 10 points in 21 games, 12 minutes and some change of ice time per game. Fewer than 10 minutes in 4 of the last 5 games. I am curious where y'all think he may end up. And if you would be willing to take him for cheap to try fill a top 6 spot. (Which if I am being honest I think I am over reclamation projects but I understand the appeal with them generally being cheaper). 

Edmonton might be smart to take a flyer on him. At some point you have to think one line can't do it all, right? Lol. Columbus can't score to save their life and potentially not having their 1st round pick this season may allow them to take a shot at him just to try get some scoring but I am sure Torts would not be thrilled with a guy that plays 0 defense. Ottawa is likely in on all the cheap mediocre players. Pretty much all the bottom feeders (LA, Detroit, New Jersey etc) I could see being in on Chucky to hopefully resurrect even half of the 30 goal scorer in him for cheap cost asset wise and cap wise. Dallas and NYI despite their records are pretty low in the goal scoring department.

Lots of options and with the price likely being pretty low I am curious where he ends up. I can't see Pittsburgh keeping him if/when they get healthy. They are injured and he isn't even playing much.

Edit: I should reiterate (or more properly explain) I don't want him for the Canucks. I feel like we have a much cheaper Galchenyuk in Goldobin. I was more curious about other teams picking him up. My apologies.

Edited by N7Nucks

getting Chucky was a Kessel cap dump so it doesn't really matter what the return is. I'm sure Rutherford can get something for him, particularly if they retain some salary. 

Edmonton could trade Gagner and a 2nd for Chucky with 30% retained salary. 

29 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Not a chance. Don't think he would jive with what is being built here.

I think @N7Nucks wasn't suggesting him for the Canucks.  We don't have room for anything else and we'll have to shed more salary going into next year.  

Sadly our only additions can be college free agents next March/April. 

Tough to figure out Galchenyuk. He has talent and managed one 30 goal season.  Career wise he’s about .6 ppg.  But he always leaves you wanting more.  Like you know he can be better, but he just can’t deliver.  I used to blame the coaches in Montreal for not playing him as a C (where he had his best season).  But he’s gone through several coaches now and none of them trust him as a C 

14 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think @N7Nucks wasn't suggesting him for the Canucks.  We don't have room for anything else and we'll have to shed more salary going into next year.  

Sadly our only additions can be college free agents next March/April. 

Oops! Don't know why I had it in my head it was a suggestion for our roster. Thanks!

My bad guys, I should have properly explained that I wasn't really suggesting him for the Canucks. Just curious about whether or not you could see a team like Edmonton or even Dallas take a swing at him. Radulov was scratched recently. Although with 2 extra years on Radulov's contract I doubt Pittsburgh would bite unless Dallas retained half his cap. Chucky only has one season left so there are a few options for teams struggling to score to bite on him as a reclamation project. Just ideally not us. Lol.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

My bad guys, I should have properly explained that I wasn't really suggesting him for the Canucks. Just curious about whether or not you could see a team like Edmonton or even Dallas take a swing at him. Radulov was scratched recently. Although with 2 extra years on Radulov's contract I doubt Pittsburgh would bite unless Dallas retained half his cap. Chucky only has one season left so there are a few options for teams struggling to score to bite on him as a reclamation project. Just ideally not us. Lol.

GMJB OUT GM'D AGAIN!

Galchenyuk + Canucks = CUP!!

:bigblush::emot-parrot:

• Haha 1

I think in the right system he is still a solid middle 6 option. 

He's not small, 6'1 207

Could be a good Tanner Pearson type for a team looking for scoring. Pittsburgh isn't a great fit for players of their like.

Already hearing Sabres are interested. I would like him on Canucks if we didn't already have Pearson. Just can't fit him under the cap. Winnipeg has struggled to get goals from their depth players. I could see a fit there if they can get him under the cap, which they do have room for. My 2¢

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Apparently has his best shifts when BOTH coaches simultaneously kick his arse.

Never panned out..KHL for this bloke

He’s still a 40-50 point guy.  Not top line production, but really not bad enough to be drummed out of the league