The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 21, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

4. Virtanen is getting a lot of praise on CDC tonight. He scored a nice goal on a great shot and made some big hits. It was great to see him making life difficult for Malkin. Initially Green started Erkisson with Horvat and Pearson as the shutdown line against Malkin but Jake ended up taking Eriksson's place for much of the third, and for good reason. Jake had an excellent game and Louie had his usual nothing game. The panel was emphasizing how valuable Jake would be if he could play like this consistently. Jake looks like a pretty good bet to get to 20 goals this year. That would be real validation for him. And Jake must have gained some fans in his after hours interview, which was very good. 

I thought that Louie had a good game.  His job was to shutdown Malkin's line and he did his part.  He took one rough tumble when he dove and crashed head first into the boards.  I actually think that he might've saved us a goal there as he got his stick on Guentzel's glove and he wasn't able to lift it over Marky's pad.  Ended up being one of the saves of the night.  

I'm really happy for Jake and it's nice to hear him talk positively of his development in Utica and now with the Canucks.  Hopefully this puts to bed all the less-then-smart theories that "Green is not giving him his ice time" ... "Green is holding Jake back" ... that we've heard over the last two years. 

Just watched the game. Made it to my PVR with out knowing the score. 

Team game all the way. The boys are playing for each other. Jake with a beautiful shot from LW again. 2nd unit pp pushing the first unit. 

I thought Fantenburgh would hit like this all the time. Glad he's finally showing the hitting side of his game. 

Marky-beast. The team defense on Malkin was great. We need to do that to McBeiber Monday. Especially after he WHINES.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

It makes sense. He was a 30 plus point dman because he got power play time. So far this season it’s been Hughes and Edler running the power plays. It’s nice to see Myers get some more reps on the PP. I don’t think he looks too bad running that second unit. 

Actually he only saw PP time when Trouba or Byfuglien were out and then only second line minutes...most of his points were scored even strength on the third pairing.  He's more then capable of doing it when he gets the chance though and I'm glad he's got some - 6 points on the month so far is pretty good, about where he needs to be a 35 point D.   What he's been doing in Edlers absence is a huge difference in what Stetcher was able to do in the past, or Hutton or whomever (Tanev out too).  Take on the leagues best without being a huge minus magnet. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, milk and honey said:

There was 2boys who died that day. He knew one and I knew the other one from church. Never forgot hearing how a kid I played hockey with at youth and seeing him with girls all of the sudden doesn't exist. Crazy thoughts. I know a few people who know Jake and everyone says nice things about him. Idk if he will ever be a fan favorite or be what he want but he is a nice guy playing for his local team. Living the dream 

Can get after hours ... any chance you could tell the story?

Jake has been quite consistent this year. He is on a solid 20 goal 40 point pace.  He can still pick up the pace a little bit. I would love to see him in a serious playoff race. To see if he can find that high gear that is required during the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

I definitely like the win but we do need to work on our d zone play 

we can’t  rely on Marky to be our d

biggest issue is cycle break. It’s times that we don’t finish the check on the passer that they cycle back into the play. It’s what the Sedins lived off, there were a few time we crunched the passer and we were successful in regaining possession. When we do regain possession there are times we need to realize we are in trouble and ice it it play it hard off the glass. We had too many turnovers on simple passes around the boards that were easy to intercept 

again, love the wins but if we can clean up the grade a chances we will be well positioned for success in the second half 

do need Edler back there 

would be nice to have a healthy Ferland as well 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Upvote 1