The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Russia vs. Canada | Group B | Dec. 28, 2019 | 10:00 AM PT

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

There's an issue with overcoaching in the development program, honestly. How many of Canada's players on this team can you genuinely say have some kind of gamebreaking skill, whether it be a great shot, creativity with the puck, or blazing speed? One, two?

There are obviously exceptions, but it feels like the majority of this team is the same cookie cutter two way player with okayish skills. Hockey Canada puts an emphasis on coaching their players to play this way. It's time to start putting more emphasis on individual skill. The details of the game can be taught as players get older.

I don’t think this approach is feasible. 

There’s reasons for structure that would require more time to type that will take away from watching. 

2 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

There's an issue with overcoaching in the development program, honestly. How many of Canada's players on this team can you genuinely say have some kind of gamebreaking skill, whether it be a great shot, creativity with the puck, or blazing speed? One, two?

There are obviously exceptions, but it feels like the majority of this team is the same cookie cutter two way player with okayish skills. Hockey Canada puts an emphasis on coaching their players to play this way. It's time to start putting more emphasis on individual skill. The details of the game can be taught as players get older.

Bobby Orr talked about this. That the systems, and coaching is stifling the creative side of the game. They aren't letting kids have fun, and try new things. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I don’t think this approach is feasible. 

There’s reasons for structure that would require more time to type that will take away from watching. 

Moreso I was talking about kids being encouraged to work on their individual skills before they get to the junior level. Obviously at a tournament like this, you need to implement effective systems to have a chance of winning.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Totally agree with you 

I played in our hockey Canada system so I can speak from personal experience 

they used to encourage creativity but then Hockey Canada clamped down and set up a strict coaching program 

it is boring vanilla hockey that has every player doing exactly the same thing 

Ask your local ho key association what it thinks of Hockey Canada...Won’t  be good 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Bobby Orr talked about this. That the systems, and coaching is stifling the creative side of the game. They aren't letting kids have fun, and try new things. 

Bobby is right. At a certain point, encouraging individual skill is abandoned for strategy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Disagree. 

Which contending team in this tourney plays a style which promotes individualism with or without the puck? 

None. 

Orr’s point is likely being taken out of context. 

This is a Canadian team thrown together group against an actual team that’s been together, with their coaching and systems, for months. 

Canada always gets better as the tournament goes on. 

Shame they don’t get all the prep time most of their rivals do, such as Russia. 

These guys must learn learn to play as a team, not individuals. This isn’t an all star game. It’s a hard tourney to win. No player(s) wins it. The best team does. 

• Cheers 1

Another team canada built like an east team or a leaf team! 

I thought after last year they would have figured it out but nope. 

They need to build a team with atleast two pwfs and three two way d man that can throw the body , one of the better team canada's had Jake and nick Ritchie in the top six and played a great team game , just like the Russians are. 

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

At least they wouldn't roll over. Foote has a couple good shots and hits. The comment was a little glib.

I know, no problem. But TSN sells these kids at times as something they're not. Foote is the guy you want with the puck on his stick within 35 feet of the net, because he can really shoot. 

Complete player? No.

Intense player? No.

Creative player? No.

Leader? No. 

But he can do one thing well and has direct NHL lineage,  so he makes the team. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Another team canada built like an east team or a leaf team! 

I thought after last year they would have figured it out but nope. 

They need to build a team with atleast two pwfs and three two way d man that can throw the body , one of the better team canada's had Jake and nick Ritchie in the top six and played a great team game , just like the Russians are. 

Is there anything west for Hockey Canada except a token WHL guy?