The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vegas Golden Knights. Gerard Gallant fired

Rate this topic

redhdlois

35 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Shocking from my viewpoint.

I did not see Vegas as being deployed poorly or playing a style unsuited to them. If anything, they overachieved during his tenure. And were not horribly behind this year,

Considering how rudely he was dumpled in Florida? I have theory is he may be a hard ass in dealing with upper management.

It may have become easy to dump him when you have a 4 or 5 game slump.

But I suspect it was not purely about performance. 

They were just more PC about it than Florida.

Somewhat surprised by how many are putting this on Gallant's character or some hidden behind the scene issue.  Lawless dismissed that idea.  At the start of the season they were predicted to be right up there among the top contenders.   The team is built to win now and they've been average.   

Even the players are admitting that they aren't playing as well as they should have.   Is it really that surprising to change coach if they worry that the team at best gets an early exit.  How many coaches with DeBoer's credential are going to be available this summer if they continue to remain average.  It's a veteran roster and it's not like their window is going to be open indefinitely.  

McPhee before handing over the reins to McCrimmon talked of how they wanted to keep the group together. They shipped Gusev out because they didn't want to disrupt their roster.  They felt they had the group to win now.  Their window with that group is probably the next 2-3 years.  Fleury is already 35.  Wasting this year is not really an option and they were just as mediocre as the rest of the Pacific and not dominating à la StLouis in the Central.  

Florida said it was performance related.  Vegas is saying it's performance related too.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Gallant is not an x’s and o’s Guy.  He’s a head coach, organizer, and motivator guy.  He’s not really an assistant.  If he comes here it’s for Green.  

his first NHL coaching gig was with Newell Brown under Head Coach Dave King

by his third year he took over as head and still had Newell as an assistant

fwiw

According to Friedman, on Tim and Sid, they were looking to extend him like a week ago. All it took was one bad week for them to decide not only to not extend him but to fire him. And people say we are bad here. Lol. I know people are gonna say "well he was fired for performance reasons twice", but it took all of one week for VG to do a massive 180 on him. And lets be honest, Florida's defense and goaltending was awful while he was there. He was not the problem with that team. Lets not pretend like he was a poor coach in Florida.

He is an upgrade on Greener imo. Not saying I'd fire Green at this stage of the season for Gallant, but if the team did go that route I'd be pretty okay with it. If I am Gallant though, I wait until the offseason to get a job unless he is okay with a rebuilding team at which point can join them immediately. And if I am Vancouver I also wait until the offseason to make a coaching change, especially if Gallant is still available and he wants to be here. There are some interesting names floating around, but I don't really wanna mess with the coaching staff outside of them making needed adjustments [Enter defensive zone coverage and excessive drop pass complaints here].

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, lmm said:

his first NHL coaching gig was with Newell Brown under Head Coach Dave King

by his third year he took over as head and still had Newell as an assistant

fwiw

So fire Baumer and hire Gallant.

Doubt he’s interested in being an assistant again however.

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Their 1st year Vegas used to suffocate teams with their speed and how they would never let up.  It was relentless 4 lines all the time.  Not this season.  It's a veteran team that had a lot of ambition coming into the season and they are caught being average. 

The firing is somewhat shocking because they are still in the race but average doesn't win you a Cup.  If they felt not much was going to change why wait it out.  DeBoer is a very good coach too and who knows how long he remains available. 

DeBoer as a tactician?  Will he get more out of Vegas than Gallant?? I gues we will find out. But I dont think so.

I dont see them as strong enough down the middle.  Thats where they get exposed.  I also believed they overachieve with their D. Who strikes fear in opposing coaches among their D?  

More than the D, I dont think they are good enough down the middle! Karlsson was never more than a 3C until Gallant got ahold of him. But speaking of fear? He does not strike fear in me as a first line pivot. To me he is a v good 2knd line pivot. Stastny was ok as a 2knd line centre, but is really 3rd line material at this stage. But, as you said, they used to have that suffocating 3rd and 4th line? Which is not his game. I think they are doing well to make use of Chandler Stephenson as a 3C. Eakin has both been injured, and a dissapointment this year.  But he is just 28, probably too banged up. He was a part of that suffocating bottom 6. Glass is stuck for minutes, because he is the classic must score and be in the top 6 guy. But not ready in the eyes of the coach.  Or he would have minutes being given to Stastny & Karlsson if he was ready.

The problem with Vegas is they overcommitted to some otherwise great wingers.  Stone & Patches.

But who builds a team around wingers, not pivots or D? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Somewhat surprised by how many are putting this on Gallant's character or some hidden behind the scene issue.  Lawless dismissed that idea.  At the start of the season they were predicted to be right up there among the top contenders.   The team is built to win now and they've been average.   

Even the players are admitting that they aren't playing as well as they should have.   Is it really that surprising to change coach if they worry that the team at best gets an early exit.  How many coaches with DeBoer's credential are going to be available this summer if they continue to remain average.  It's a veteran roster and it's not like their window is going to be open indefinitely.  

McPhee before handing over the reins to McCrimmon talked of how they wanted to keep the group together. They shipped Gusev out because they didn't want to disrupt their roster.  They felt they had the group to win now.  Their window with that group is probably the next 2-3 years.  Fleury is already 35.  Wasting this year is not really an option and they were just as mediocre as the rest of the Pacific and not dominating à la StLouis in the Central.  

Florida said it was performance related.  Vegas is saying it's performance related too.  

I hope the Canucks and Gallant can agree, for him to be an assistant to later replace Green if he fails to make the playoffs or flops in the playoffs.   Also as stated in the, Pass it to Bulis article, Fleurys' elite and regressing goalie performance - has certainly, mirrored there fortunes.

I would argue, this move has alot more to do: with Gallants' system relying alot on Fluerys' elite goaltending, the Vegas management realizing that Fleury is slowly regressing and that there is no current replacement in the system; so a change in system might be enough to make up for when Fleury is no longer there or elite - perhaps the Canucks and Vegas can make a deal ? 

Althought, Iam more interested how that fan base would react when the Knights are rebuilding.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

so um who coaches the pacific all star? Deborer? lol.. regardless i hope the leash on Green is short.. not that he's not successful recently.. but i can't stand the start of games more often than not coming out flat and the constant turtling when playing with the lead.. i mean the turtling been better of late.. but i'm sure we'll be in turtle mode with the lead after the all star game till the end of the season. the canucks are winning a lot of games lately coz of goaltending from markstrom.. not really coaching.. as they've been outplayed and out shot in many of them.

13 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think we'll see Green replaced, Jim doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd make that kind of rash/bold move. But I could see him trying to hire Gallant to be part of the assistant staff, I'd sure like to see the added brainpower there. 

Green and Gallant can tag team against the media where Green gives a middle finger up and Gallant gives a thumbs up 

DifferentOpulentDuckling-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not sure why you guys think he'd take an assistant coach job. Laughable at best. 

Laughable because you have creditable source saying that he will never take an assistant coaching job? A lot of good coaches are taking the assistant position for a lot of teams (Lindy Ruff with the Rangers, Dan Bylsma with the Red Wings), so I do not see what is impossible for him to take an assistant coach job (well maybe not with the Canucks).

3 hours ago, mll said:

Somewhat surprised by how many are putting this on Gallant's character or some hidden behind the scene issue.  

I'm not putting it down to a ''character'' issue.  But people at the top end of performance, particularly in coaching, are often, call them ''old school?''

You could choose to call such a coach task oriented.  Or be less PC & call them hard ass, a drill sergeant, or whatever. A lot of players were very complimentary of Gallant. Said he communicated well, was fair. But I dont think its hard to tell who was in charge. 

I am saying he had nearly a 0.600 win % in the NHL with this expansion club. Two play off appearances. A cup final & a team currently in a play off position.

I'm saying it looks like a power struggle. It does not mean I am right?  Even more true, we are not likey to ever know. But a guy like Gallant is just as likely to tell his boss ''like it is'' as he is his players. Which does not always go over that well.  See quotes by Mike Keenan, when Brian Burke was hired. And Burke's response. They are calling it ''performance related'' in Vegas?  Trevor Linden will not go on record as saying he had any conflict of direction with FAQ or Benning either. Nontheless they are gone.

I don't doubt someone in management wanted something different on the ice. ''Performance.'' Maybe see a component of strategium they felt falty. They are career hockey guy, probably something legitimate? I also don't doubt, speculate if you will, he told said manager to shove it up his hoo haa ''get me a better centre,'' or whatever.  

He was coming off a 1st place finish, 1st round loss with perenial loser Florida the year before he was fired in Florida. Their only appearance in the play off's in now , what,15 years I believe? Was above 0.500 % when he was fired twenty odd games in to the next season. But it was also ''performance'' related. 

Pacioretty had 37 points his last year in Montreal. 45 sp far this year. Stephenson is having a creer year, was a depth player in Washington. Karlsson has ''only'' 35 points so far this year. His best year in Clumbus was 25 points. Marschessault has been better under Gallant. Schmidt was a 16 minute a night guy in Washington, a top pair guy scoring twice as much, 21 minutes a night in Vegas. Theodore better than he was in Anaheim. I could go on...

The guy actually has a great coaching record.  

53 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Best case scenario. How do you know that he won’t ? Do you have some information you’re not sharing ?

21 minutes ago, ey40 said:

Laughable because you have creditable source saying that he will never take an assistant coaching job? A lot of good coaches are taking the assistant position for a lot of teams (Lindy Ruff with the Rangers, Dan Bylsma with the Red Wings), so I do not see what is impossible for him to take an assistant coach job (well maybe not with the Canucks).

Logic. He will be hired as a head coach because he is a qualified and very good head coach. Same reason I wouldn't voluntarily leave my job for a lower wage job. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Logic. He will be hired as a head coach because he is a qualified and very good head coach. Same reason I wouldn't voluntarily leave my job for a lower wage job. 

His situation is not "leaving his job for a lower wage job", he was fired and I am pretty sure he will consider all the possibilities. Using your example if you are fired from your job and there is another lower-wage job making you an offer, would you accept it?