The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] David Backes, Luke Schenn

Just now, Chicken. said:

I do wonder though why GMJB didn't sign him for league minimum-ish then in the off season I thought for sure he would. Seems unlikely he will pick him up now.

Only thing I can think of is Benning thought he'd over achieved, and probably couldn't keep that kind of solid play for a whole season? 

Ignoring contracts.

Schenn vs. Myers

Speed: Myers

Reach: Myers

Physicality: Schenn

Defensive ability: Schenn (Positionally at least)

The advantage is Myers because if his size and speed doesn't get deked out. But he will sometimes be too aggressive against the forward and over commit and be put out of position. 

I haven't seen much of Schenn this season. So maybe he's slowed down more? 

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Trade Stecher to the Leafs (for ?) and then sign Schenn. He might be a little slower, but he brings size, smarts and truculence. He's cheap and it would make Hughes happy too. I think I'd rather have Schenn as an option going into the playoffs. 

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Fantenberg - Benn

Schenn

Rafferty

Brisebois

Juolevi

Tryamkin*

I'd trade Tanev instead of Stecher. He has more value to other teams, and I have a feeling that this is his last season as a Canuck.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Trade Stecher to the Leafs (for ?) and then sign Schenn. He might be a little slower, but he brings size, smarts and truculence. He's cheap and it would make Hughes happy too. I think I'd rather have Schenn as an option going into the playoffs. 

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Fantenberg - Benn

Schenn

Rafferty

Brisebois

Juolevi

Tryamkin*

Benning doesn't go after Schenn because of the names you have on your list. Schenn has got into 15 games with TBay this year. IMO the Canuck depth and the possible return of Tryamkin does not work for Schenn. If there was a deal for Stecher that might change. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Does he have more value? When healthy yes. But that doesn't happen that often. 

I believe he does. His reputation around the league is still stellar. Considered one of the better defensive defensemen in the league. Stecher, while tenacious, doesn't have that same reputation. His size isn't helping him either.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I believe he does. His reputation around the league is still stellar. Considered one of the better defensive defensemen in the league. Stecher, while tenacious, doesn't have that same reputation. His size isn't helping him either.

It's like a Miata that never breaks down, compared to a truck that breaks down constantly. I'm just thinking any GM that wants Tanev who takes 60 seconds to look into him, will see that he hasn't played over 60 games since 2015-16. 

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's like a Miata that never breaks down, compared to a truck that breaks down constantly. I'm just thinking any GM that wants Tanev who takes 60 seconds to look into him, will see that he hasn't played over 60 games since 2015-16. 

They also see that 90% of his injuries are freak accidents. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

What I see in Stecher is a player who seems to have to work twice as hard as anyone else, just to be effective. He isn't physical, but will take a beating and try to play physical. I think he's been lucky with the injury bug so far, but for how long? He's supposed to be an offensive Dman but he never seems to score. A lot of times he jumps in the play and gets caught up, then doesn't have the speed to get back, like Hughes. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Benn is far better than Schenn

And Fantenburg is probably better than Benn.    The team is progressing further into it's up-tempo, two-way blueprint - and Fantenburg's mobility (as well as probably a better first pass and quicker decision-making to go along with it) seems to have earned him a leap-frog over Benn in the depth chart.   I'd qualify that, however, by saying that Benn was forced to step up - perhaps to an uncomfortable degree in Edler's absence - somewhat exposing him - and there is a possibility that this is not simply a 'merit' matter - there is a chance that Benn is not entirely healthy - but my take would be that Fantenburg is a better fit in that 3LHD spot.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

I do wonder though why GMJB didn't sign him for league minimum-ish then in the off season I thought for sure he would. Seems unlikely he will pick him up now.

Schenn went for greener pastures in hopes for a chance to win a Cup. We "revived" his career and he moved on. I had wished him the best, but we made an offer (probably takes over Fantenberg's spot with more opportunity here) and he left, so we are moving on. He likely clears waivers anyway.

I appreciate what he did for Hughes as he entered the league, but that time is done.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Fantenberg - Benn

Schenn

Rafferty

Brisebois

Juolevi

Tryamkin*

Stecher played 18+ minutes last night. Why would we downgrade our roster at this point if we are thinking about the playoffs? If we get Tryamkin back this season, then someone like Schenn is moot anyway. This won't make Hughes any happier than he is already playing top 4 minutes and excelling in the league. I appreciate Schenn for helping Hughes ease into the league, but we don't have much further use for him since we have Fantenberg already who is younger and a better skater and currently making a mark on the team forcing Benn to sit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1