The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He writes for the Province if I'm not mistaken, so he's clearly a clown.

Gaudette was a no go in trade talks last year and JB mentioned we have 3 young centres just yeseterday that we want to build the team around.  Yet this clown "hears whispers" of Gaudette.  Laughable is an understatement.

As far as Stecher goes, it does seem like he's the odd man out.  Sucks cause he's a local kid playing on the team who is all heart but that's the way it goes.  Hope him all the best if he does get moved, always loved me some Tony Stretcher.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Trade Tanev before the playoffs? 

Would be suicide for the team's chances in the postseason, but also leading up to it. The team, unfortunately, needs him. He'll walk in UFA for free. 

20 games plus a few potential playoff games vs. 10 years from a 1st round pick? 

im against a Markstrom trade but I don’t think A Tanev trade would Completely kill our chances we could also bring in another d-man for cheaper (3rd round pick possibly) or Raferty / Tryamkin 

and lastly Tanev could get hurt at any second and then we don’t have the 1st or Tanev. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is absolute bull crap...he's all HEART all the time.

If he's being shopped, it's more about the number crunching than anything.

I go to a lot of games (and watch all of them)...he gives 110% every shift and plays much bigger than his size.

Think you misread that Deb...

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I think a lot of names are being thrown around. I highly doubt Benning would trade Gaudette now, especially after he didn't for PK Subban. The Preds wanted Gaudette

They wanted to clear Subban’s full cap hit and not take a roster player back.  Gaudette was waiver free. 

Johansen Duchene Turris Bonino Sissons Jarnkrok are all Cs.  It’s a veteran lineup that Gaudette had close to no chance of making - all signed long term.  The interest in Gaudette seems exaggerated. Poile explained that he chose the team that was willing to take Subban without retention. He made the return sound secondary.

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, brian42 said:

20 games plus a few potential playoff games vs. 10 years from a 1st round pick? 

im against a Markstrom trade but I don’t think A Tanev trade would Completely kill our chances we could also bring in another d-man for cheaper (3rd round pick possibly) or Raferty / Tryamkin 

and lastly Tanev could get hurt at any second and then we don’t have the 1st or Tanev. 

Regardless, no way JB trades anyone from our room, especially Tanev.  Yes, Marky, Tanev, and (now) Tofu will walk as UFAs but it’s all about winning right now.  

2 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

Unfortunately for stecher, the writing has been on the wall for a while. His heart and skill just isn't enough to stay invested in him, expecting a third, maybe second if something is added from our end

I'd be expecting a 4th maybe a 5th

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I go to a lot of games (and watch all of them)...he gives 110% every shift and plays much bigger than his size.

Love Stecher.  Don’t think we can afford to resign both him and Tanev.  I see Us walking from Stecher, just like we did Hutton.  Next year Rafferty will play those minutes.  

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I interpreted that OP meant that while Stecher DOES have heart and skill, him being undersized and not really above average in any category makes him expandable going forward. That's my opinion as well, love his character but he's not a top 6 D on a contending team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Any body is tradeable, it is always about the return.

And the sweetener.  We currently have a group of bad contracts that would cost us sweetener to dump: Loui, Sutter, Baer, Benn, Beagle, Rooster, and Myers.  These players all contribute to the team still, some more than others, but not one of them could be traded without us adding.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Regardless, no way JB trades anyone from our room, especially Tanev.  Yes, Marky, Tanev, and (now) Tofu will walk as UFAs but it’s all about winning right now.  

Winning what exactly? IMO we are not a contender and you can't let guys walk for free. 

Edited by Outsiders

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Any body is tradeable, it is always about the return.

The likely return on Stech is a pick, given what most teams are trading for players. Just cause we can trade Stech doesn't mean we should. The price we get for him is not worth the value we potentially lose by making our team weaker. Throwing Rafferty in with no prior knowledge of how he'd fit is not wise. This isn't NHL 20 where if the overall is high enough it works. I'd rather give Rafferty a full season with the team to gel and gain chemistry rather than try force it to work down the stretch of a very important season for us. And if an injury should happen we just shot our self in the foot.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It would surprise me if it happened before the deadline, but not if something happened in the summer. There's been a lot of talk about keeping our depth for a Playoff push and now we're going to trade a reliable 3rd pairing guy?

playing with Edler he is not a 3rd pairing guy.

that is the weird thing about our defense

Edler+ ? gets hard match ups at this point its Stech

Hughes Tanev Do not get hard match ups

Fant/Benn Myers turn into a tire fire

so if we trade Stech we need a #2 or Myers needs to step way up

and Stecher is not a #2

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not disagreeing with you that this is what they’re approach is but I would argue it is dumb. For the record I am in favor of the Toffoli deal if we can re-sign him. 

to me the approach is worry about the cap later but then we’re stuck with bad contracts and have to let our more impactful players leave worsening the team for the future.  The 2022-23 year will be a great year having already signed Marky, Hughes Petterson and all our bad contracts gone allowing us to add an impact player or two but I’m not saying we shouldn’t try until then. 

Edited by brian42
  • Like 1

Just now, Outsiders said:

Winning what exactly? IMO we are a contender and you can't let guys walk for free. 

Well JB is going to have several guys walk fir free July 1.  Add Stecher to the list too.  JB foreshadowed it’s going to happen, when he said he sees at least 7 prospects we have coming onto the team over the next couple years.  We aren’t bringing those guy in until the stArt of a season too.  That means lots of guys will just walk on July 1 for the next few years.