The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 19, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, captainhorvat said:

I feel like hes trying to be very Henrik Sedin like out on the ice. You can see it in his media scrums.

He needs to lead his way with a bit more jam and grit. I wanna see him take a roughing penalty at least. This is the time where he needs to put the team on his back and everyone follows but nothing.

To be honest I feel like JT Miller plays and speaks more like a captain thn Bo does.

I love Bo but he really needs to bring it.

Totally agree.  Bo is a really nice person.  But on the ice he could do with being meaner, and even get some dirty going.  I’d like to see guys who skate like Bo and Jake, who are also really heavy, play with a nasty and mean edge.  They could do some serious damage to the other teams’ top players.  Right now it all looks too easy fir the other teams’ to players.  There is no way Fiala should be skating freely.  He is known for playing scared, but he has no fear against us.  Bo, and Jake too, could really change that.  All comes down to what the coach demands from his players though

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol.. how does that work.. you already predicted the other team is going to lose?? if the canucks play 1 game below .500.. that means they'll get max 22 points puts them at 92 points.. so winnipeg and nashville have 0 chance of getting to 90 points?? all the pacific teams have 0 chance of surpassing 92 points?? 

If you look at the Magic number thread you will notice it is based on odds

Yes a team that is not currently holding down a playoff spot could make the playoffs if they were to go on a winning streak, however the odds of 2-3 teams doing so are very low. 

Right now Ari is the only team at a high risk of losing their spot to Nash, this is due to Nash game in hands, Next would be Calgary and they could be knocked out by Win,

Really as long as we out pace Cal and Ari there is no possible way for Nash or Win to knock Van out of the Pac division, Nash and Win are both central teams

Right now Calgary would have to surpass Vancouver and then Vancouver would have to be out paced by both Win and Nash 

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Do you think it’s a loser mentality to say hey we lost but at least we played well? I find that a lot of players On his team are ok with losing as long as they play well.

really?

how many have you talked to about this topic?

i doubt they really said that to you

but call me a skeptic

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not sure what some people want out of this game we call hockey.

We used to really lack in scoring...I saw some brutal games where we didn't even get a goal.

Now we have some exciting hockey and even though there are some glaring deficiencies....we're in the race.  Nothing better than hockey as it heads into the spring and we haven't been part of that in the recent past.

Now it has to be pretty?  We're breaking it down ... even wins aren't joyful because Marky stole them for us?  So they shouldn't count?

And when he's off, it's what have you done for us lately?  As in tonight?  

We've gone through Fire:   Gilles, Willie, Green, Benning (insert scapegoat here).  Flavours of the week.

Sedins were soft and weak.  Now Bo is too apparently.  

Honestly...it sucks the joy out of it.  I get discussing things and even pointing out weaknesses...but if that's all we get out of it it's questionable.  So many other options and no one needs to subject themselves to the torture.  Pick a new team with a great coach?  Tune out and find another sport?  Maybe the A Team?  The Fantastic Four?  I don't know...

If it's painful, making it painful for others who just want to cheer on their team is a little pointless.  

I'm glad there are some voices of reason...they're getting to be few and far between.

Go Canucks Go.  I don't care if you slide in sideways....just make the playoffs then see where it leads. Great goaltending...hmmm, seems we have half the battle beat.  I can hardly wait to see how this team continues to develop.  We knew it was a work in progress.....but now we're packing it in?  Because this season hasn't been good "enough"?

Patience isn't abundant around here.  

Sigh.  

No but we shouldn’t be ok with losing three in a row and 2 of 8.

7 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

If you look at the Magic number thread you will notice it is based on odds

Yes a team that is not currently holding down a playoff spot could make the playoffs if they were to go on a winning streak, however the odds of 2-3 teams doing so are very low. 

Right now Ari is the only team at a high risk of losing their spot to Nash, this is due to Nash game in hands, Next would be Calgary and they could be knocked out by Win,

Really as long as we out pace Cal and Ari there is no possible way for Nash or Win to knock Van out of the Pac division, Nash and Win are both central teams

Right now Calgary would have to surpass Vancouver and then Vancouver would have to be out paced by both Win and Nash 

it's possible. 

4 minutes ago, NightHawkSniper said:

Just sit Eriksson for MacE, easily improves the Canucks 100x fold.

I think Green will have to do something different about the line up. Move Virtanen up with Bo. They're both north south players. 

MacEwen to the fourth line. 

LE to the pressbox where he deserves to be for the rest of his career. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

Marky can't stop them all. Puck luck aside, team D is letting him down, over and over.

You are onto something though with your critique on the 'systems'. Its specifically the D zone system which is troublesome.

But I realized something tonight: here's the overall strategy of the team, and it's probably this simple:

They are playing to not get injured.

Many of us have been calling it 'soft' (me included), but if you think of it in the above terms, a lot of things suddenly make sense.

You get injured mostly in these few ways: Hitting. Getting hit. Blocking shots. Fighting.

Take 3 of those things out (Mostly, especially staged fights, crazy D zone sacrifice your body type stuff), and you have Green's 'turn the other cheek' system in a nutshell. They play to get in the lanes, and to intercept passes/shots, but not charge and get tangled up, or out of position. Or fight, often. Our team is middle of the pack in hits, so not bad. But yeah, that's mostly from neutral zone / end boards action when digging for the puck. Getting physically tied up with other huge strong guys over a season, you have to be lucky and ultra durable to withstand 82 games of hardcore checking.

The season is a game of attrition in and of itself. And so, it is what it is. I just hope we can tighten some things up, and soon. I would encourage guys to paste players on the sideboards once in a while. Bowman used to call this a 'right/leftwing lock', I think. Own one side of the ice or another, and work puck pressure from that side of the ice.

That being said: with all the s-talk on Green lately, I'd like to give Green credit for his high tempo offensive zone systems. Forcing turnovers and hard backchecks.. that's how he played, btw. The offensive metrics of the team is top 5-10 n the league in most stuff, including first in penalties drawn. Drawing penalties usually means you are driving the play, thus, we are driving plat at or near the top of the league, or near to it. 

As for the D zone system, it's gonna stay because it's very clear to me, that being healthy is the #1 priority of this team moving into the stretch run.

I don't think Benning is done trading  yet either. Benn is gonna be sitting again soon. Fanta was full practice today.  We might see him trade a roster player + a prospect for a D. Also, we might be seeing Tryamkin before long too (his team has 3 regular season games left), playoffs prolly done middlish of March for them unless they go on a run (500 team, so not likely).

Fabulous breakdown of what is going on with the club.  Much appreciated 

• Cheers 1

This run and gun style is how Green is going to live and die. We score goals but our defence is leaky. This is what the fans and JB wanted - an exciting team to watch, but with that comes frustrating defending. 

Personally I loved AV's safe style but it wasn't the most appealing and in today's NHL, where offence is really rewarded, I think these high tempo teams are the ones who succeed.

When you look at Tampa, Boston, Colorado and Washington, they manage to score without sacrificing defence and can do so because of their elite forwards. Unfortunately our top-6 aren't as good as them and we rely on defence to jump up and a two man forecheck but that leads to all sorts of issues defensively. One day, hopefully in a couple of years, we will find that balance, but until then it's going to be more of this risky hockey.

• Upvote 1

Loui got confused with a goalie in the net.....that play was classic...it was so Loui.

Markys Shootout tonight just saved cap space on his next contract.

this is part of the process. Up and Downs

In Top Gun did Maverick giveup after Goose died hell no.....it was put in the movie to show he had adversity and gumption....then he saved that prick Iceman ass in his F-14 Tomcat. Now there’s a Topgun 2 coming to a theater near you June 6 Thursday at 730pm pacific time....remember....even Orcas can flyin.

C8E34EC9-C219-417C-9494-C8F102436323.jpeg

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

it's possible. 

yes of course it is possible

but odd wise low probabilities 

The Canucks have 2 point and a game in hand on the flames

The Canucks could lose 2 more games then Calgary and we could still hold the tie breaker cause the Canucks have won more games against Cal then they have losed

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This run and gun style is how Green is going to live and die. We score goals but our defence is leaky. This is what the fans and JB wanted - an exciting team to watch, but with that comes frustrating defending. 

Personally I loved AV's safe style but it wasn't the most appealing and in today's NHL, where offence is really rewarded, I think these high tempo teams are the ones who succeed.

When you look at Tampa, Boston, Colorado and Washington, they manage to score without sacrificing defence and can do so because of their elite forwards. Unfortunately our top-6 aren't as good as them and we rely on defence to jump up and a two man forecheck but that leads to all sorts of issues defensively. One day, hopefully in a couple of years, we will find that balance, but until then it's going to be more of this risky hockey.

Actually we do have really good players.  Those teams are coached to fall into a 1-2-2 trap when the other team gets clear, puck on stick, head up possession.  The lock up the neutral zone in these situations, and prevent the other teams from attacking with speed.  Green coaches a 2-1-2 forecheck in all situations .  We end up defending against odd man rushes that are attacking with speed through the neutral zone.  This forces our D to back up and give up our zone.  Then we get into chasing the game.  No NHL team plays this way.  

• Like 1