The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Saudi Arabia declares oil price war on fellow OPEC (and non OPEC)members.

nuckin_futz

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I've never once heard you say "thanks" to people outside of Alberta making high wages and all they "gave" to Canada. Nows your chance. 

Maybe cause oil money funded growth in other industries.....so it's still thx to Alberta ha thx to high oil prices we have seen wages raised  and more industries grow.....doesn't matter how you slice it......it's still thx to oil cause we're an oil country ha

if you follow the money it tells the whole story.....other provinces don't have oil so they spent their share on other industries.......trying to make a have not province into a have province takes a lot of money....,,

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Maybe cause oil money funded growth in other industries.....so it's still thx to Alberta ha thx to high oil prices we have seen wages raised  and more industries grow.....doesn't matter how you slice it......it's still thx to oil cause we're an oil country ha

if you follow the money it tells the whole story.....other provinces don't have oil so they spent their share on other industries.......trying to make a have not province into a have province takes a lot of money....,,

what utter BS. Please go find me the source to prove that AB oil money funded the rest of Canada's industries. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Who does Norway give 650 billion to?

Soros. 

Lets say you're correct, and Albertans have been "giving and giving" as you claim. That makes you suckers. Generational suckers in fact. Rubes we've all us rest of Canada have made fools of for decades.

Geez, no wonder you're upset. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Soros. 

Lets say you're correct, and Albertans have been "giving and giving" as you claim. That makes you suckers. Generational suckers in fact. Rubes we've all us rest of Canada have made fools of for decades.

Geez, no wonder you're upset. 

Thank you!!

Finally.

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what utter BS. Please go find me the source to prove that AB oil money funded the rest of Canada's industries. 

I can tell you companies in Penticton, Surrey, Saskatoon, Winnipeg that are very dependent on Alberta oil.

What other parts of Canada is Alberta dependent on? Not counting Newfoundland, we stick them in camps in the far north and work them day and night.:ph34r:

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What you think the provinces do with those checks from oil? Ha some invest in school and roads and future growth......it's right in front of you.......it's what Ryan strome has been talking about......

edit* where was oil first found? And then that province funded other growth.....like farmers and ranchers in Alberta and then more kids went to college and then so on ha like I said right in front of you

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

A good chart to check out....

Image may contain: text

The Saudi and other oil states are the ones taking the biggest economic hits.  

Sucks for the USA and Canadian energy, but the energy sector only makes up a part of the overall economy.  

This is well known but they don't enjoy the same perks Canada does. Also the Saudis and Russians made things worse, they're trying to steal the market share.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:32 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

Good read, Jim.

Edited by Ryan Strome

The contribution the energy industry has made to Canada is very underappreciated by the majority of Canadians. My view of the industry is that it could have provided the capital needed to chart a more independent economic future. To me this is a national security issue. I don't think the politicians or the industry have done a very good job in outlining the importance of this industry to how Canada will fund its future. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The contribution the energy industry has made to Canada is very underappreciated by the majority of Canadians. My view of the industry is that it could have provided the capital needed to chart a more independent economic future. To me this is a national security issue. I don't think the politicians or the industry have done a very good job in outlining the importance of this industry to how Canada will fund its future. 

This is what it boils down to and here we are. I think most people can see the writing on the wall with oil. It is unlikely to hit it's former peak and rightfully so imo. This Saudi/Russia things has us in a bit of a pickle then the USA always complicates things for us. But you're right in saying that we need to use this industry (if it recovers) to fund our diversification into not only other energy sectors (ie. clean) but also into things like tech. Historically, it is the biggest money maker that Canada has contributing to GDP, if it recovers we need to start the process to transition away form fossil fuels but that will take time and investment (from the energy sector), but it won't be able to be done without a healthy alberta. We are in a less than ideal situation as the diversification should have started decades ago, but greed and short sightedness prevented it from happening. But we have to start somewhere. He has flaws but I think Trudeau has the right idea of using the profits of the pipeline to fund green tech (probably not his idea but he is the representative). Those are the sort of programs we need to make this transition.....gradually.

I think what it boils down to is if in 30 years alberta is still reliant on oil we did it wrong.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

most of its boiler plate "Alberta gives" red meat. But I did look at the report by the energy centre, they do a comparison between AB oil & gas, auto and aerospace. Read of course AB, ON and QC. 

It just shows why we need to diversify our economy even further from so much dependance on oil. I'm fine to let the market decide if Canada's a good place to develop more oil and gas, I just don't want my tax money investing in it any more.

TMX needed to happen, so that part I'm OK with as a one-off to get AB oil to Asian markets and also for TMX to be sold to a first nations group. But moving forward lets let the market decide. 

What the article didn't show was that yes, oil and gas overall, not just AB, contributes about 170 billion to our GDP, but our manufacturing sector as a whole is slightly larger than that (https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mfg-fab.nsf/eng/home). Manufacturing also employs 2X the people oil and gas does.

We need to diversify to hedge against world events and have more jobs. If private money wants to fund more oil projects have at 'er, I don't care. But I want our stimulus tax dollars going to create a much more stable and wide base for our economy. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1