The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

22 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

Never mind ruining the playoffs, don't forget that the salary cap is tied to revenue. If there are dozens of games that are played without attendance then that's going to drastically affect the revenue which will in turn affect next seasons salary cap. Friedman just said it could actually go down.

Was thinking about this today. Wonder if each team might get a compliance buy out? 

2 minutes ago, Boone Jenner said:

Wonder with the loss in revenue due to the cancellation if this will affect the new projected cap.

There are concerns that the cap could even decrease.  

Seravalli:  "But in the longer term, substantial revenue lost would have a direct impact on next season’s salary cap. There is a provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that any money owed to the owners by players in excess of what was collected in this season’s escrow account comes directly off what is owed to the players next season - thus reducing the salary cap."

Similar take by Mirtle: "Not to mention the financial aspect of the shutdown, as 15 percent of regular-season gate revenues would be wiped out -- which would result in massive escrow increases for players and a potentially lowered cap for teams next season."

• Upvote 1

Just now, milk and honey said:

Is it a blessing in disguise that the NHL season canceled just as the nucks r out of a playoff spot? It's possible there won't be playoffs to be had. 

It's a blessing if the season is just postponed such that the Canucks get the rest they need to come out firing like they did early in the season :)

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I think they should put a cap on the regular season, say at 72 games. So teams can compete for a playoff spot for a few more games, and then play the playoffs.
Whatever happens, I don't think the playoffs should be cancelled. That would be a waste of a season, and be unfair for teams that have traded for assets. Better just delay the playoffs until later and base who gets in on win percentage.

Ya this is the most fair. 

Toffoli and other trades got seriously trolled if they canceled everything.  I would imagine that most fans would love to have 2 champions, 2 playoffs in a normal season time flame 

The TSN panel has been dissecting this all morning, and one of them mentioned the financial importance of playoffs. Owners will want to still have playoffs at some point, because those games generate so much revenue. They would probably prefer to shorten next season in order to have playoffs this year, even in late summer, if needed. Not sure how they`re going to determine the drafting order though, if they still do that in late June or maybe they push it back to July/August. It`s going to get really interesting. I think I could handle taking 3 months off (early off season for players?), then resuming the last few games in late June, starting the playoffs on July 1st, etc.  Hockey over the summer sounds okay. And then a month later they have training camp, and then maybe in November/December the 2020/21 season will start. That would be weird, but at least we would have hockey.  

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

It all depends on reading comprehension.  I made a small edit to my original post to make it easier for simple minds to understand.  The rest of my OP was pretty clear in terms of what I was saying in that the flu virus and coronavirus are not the same type of virus at all.  I clarified that in my 2nd post. 

I like how you seem to talk about precision of language when you don't even use punctuation or grammar, and your paragraph structure is terrible lol.

:emot-parrot:

no

you are a shape shifter

intending to manipulate

in your posting

and you are prepared to be petty

and derogatory when challenged

the use of language and structure in my posting

has a different purpose

and the intention of my posting is to be accurate

not deceptive

other readers can draw their own conclusions from reading our respective posts

i'm not wasting any more of my time in this discussion

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Was thinking about this today. Wonder if each team might get a compliance buy out? 

1 or even 2 you would think...still going to be troublesome for some teams including the Canucks with big signings needed just over a year from now.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The TSN panel has been dissecting this all morning, and one of them mentioned the financial importance of playoffs. Owners will want to still have playoffs at some point, because those games generate so much revenue. They would probably prefer to shorten next season in order to have playoffs this year, even in late summer, if needed. Not sure how they`re going to determine the drafting order though, if they still do that in late June or maybe they push it back to July/August. It`s going to get really interesting. I think I could handle taking 3 months off (early off season for players?), then resuming the last few games in late June, starting the playoffs on July 1st, etc.  Hockey over the summer sounds okay. And then a month later they have training camp, and then maybe in November/December the 2020/21 season will start. That would be weird, but at least we would have hockey.  

Only issue is that is a bunch of ifs. Experts are saying another 12 months before a cure and some are saying it will get worst. 

I don't think we are understanding how serious this thing is if the stock market is dropping at a unprecedented rate,  entertainment is canceled resulting in millions if not billions lost world wide.  Not just NA sports affected. Most of Europe top soccer leagues are canceling games, including the champions league. Olympics, and euros might not happen this year they are meeting to discuss options next week. POTUS was in the same room as someone with the disease.  Italy is on shut down and usa is almost the same. Israel is close as well. Asia from what I know is just a disaster. Even as I'm typing I am thinking this is way overhype by the media and famous people but we are 12months away from a cure and in like 3months it's this big already.  Really difficult to say what will happen with the playoffs, draft,  ect... Time will tell but safety, health and just overall life is the most important thing. Money, profit, need to take a back seat across the world for the time being 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Trust me . Gonna run Nucks @ Yotes on NHL 20 tonight at 10pm EDT 

38 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

Lol not a bad idea ! Atleast we have something to watch 

Could you Twitch that so we all could watch the game?

27 minutes ago, mll said:

Re burn a year.  It could also make it more challenging for teams who have NCAA players who will be UFA by 15 August.  If the season doesn't resume they can't burn a year and might prefer then to just reach free agency.  Will Lockwood is in that category.  

oh man, if we're still dealing with this in August  thats going to be a problem way down the list. 

3 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

12months away from a cure

This is scary stuff, as it`s spreading now. One person could affect a whole room of people. And so on... I was concerned before, but now I`m wondering if I`ll be going to work for much longer. I take the Skytrain every day and I`ve been feeling a little creeped out lately when there are too many people crowded around me, some with masks. I don`t want to touch anything. I`m not a religious person by any means, but is this event in the Bible? Pestilence?

10 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

If they use the standings as is, why is Nashville ahead of Vancouver for the last playoff spot? Same # of games, same # of wins, same # of R/OT wins. Isn’t the next tiebreaker the season series? Vancouver won all 3 games

The tie breaker has been changed this season - they've introduced RW ahead of ROW.  With the same number of games played the tie-breaker is wins in regulation and Nashville has 28 to Vancouver's 27.   ROW comes after RW.

Edited by mll

36 minutes ago, mll said:

There are concerns that the cap could even decrease.  

Seravalli:  "But in the longer term, substantial revenue lost would have a direct impact on next season’s salary cap. There is a provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that any money owed to the owners by players in excess of what was collected in this season’s escrow account comes directly off what is owed to the players next season - thus reducing the salary cap."

Similar take by Mirtle: "Not to mention the financial aspect of the shutdown, as 15 percent of regular-season gate revenues would be wiped out -- which would result in massive escrow increases for players and a potentially lowered cap for teams next season."

Wow, this could severely impact a lot of teams including us. 

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is scary stuff, as it`s spreading now. One person could affect a whole room of people. And so on... I was concerned before, but now I`m wondering if I`ll be going to work for much longer. I take the Skytrain every day and I`ve been feeling a little creeped out lately when there are too many people crowded around me, some with masks. I don`t want to touch anything. I`m not a religious person by any means, but is this event in the Bible? Pestilence?

I saw a verse saying don't eat bats going around social media which from what I know is how this thing all started. 

Matter of time till we are shut down for a while. 

5 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

I saw a verse saying don't eat bats going around social media which from what I know is how this thing all started. 

Matter of time till we are shut down for a while. 

That was debunked early on.

• Cheers 1