The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

Only silver lining? We're not still in 1st place.

Imagine if there were no Marky injury, & we'd kept on rolling? We'd feel like the Expos in that cxl'd season(1990's?) where they were rolling big-time.

Sorry, just woke up(haven't scrolled yet) to hear this lousy NHL news. Maybe folks have already posted^ similar sentiments?

• Huggy Bear 1

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, in light of there being no Hockey, Basketball, Baseball and now no Disneyland either, I've decided to try taking up knitting with my own back hair.

Anyone have any other weird hobbies they are hoping to cultivate??? 

:)

I think my shooting range is still operational. Not a new hobby (to me) but one worth investigating.

Anyone in the GVRD with interest should DM me.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, in light of there being no Hockey, Basketball, Baseball and now no Disneyland either, I've decided to try taking up knitting with my own back hair.

Time to dive back into my toilet paper papier mache sculptures

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

The TSN panel has been dissecting this all morning, and one of them mentioned the financial importance of playoffs. Owners will want to still have playoffs at some point, because those games generate so much revenue. They would probably prefer to shorten next season in order to have playoffs this year, even in late summer, if needed. Not sure how they`re going to determine the drafting order though, if they still do that in late June or maybe they push it back to July/August. It`s going to get really interesting. I think I could handle taking 3 months off (early off season for players?), then resuming the last few games in late June, starting the playoffs on July 1st, etc.  Hockey over the summer sounds okay. And then a month later they have training camp, and then maybe in November/December the 2020/21 season will start. That would be weird, but at least we would have hockey.  

I am in Japan and I can tell you that 'pauses' and 'decide later'  just mean more lock down.   The window for the NHL to finish with some regular season games in order to be fair to all teams in the hunt and then have a normal playoff just seems highly improbable.  I think at minimum one month before hockey can come back without people freaking out.  You would need at least 3-5 games for regular season games.   How you decide that is complicated.  First 2 rounds probably 5 games, but lots of lost revenue there.   

31 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would suggest learning how to make bread.  Sourdough especially. Bread is true love and is time consuming. Super addicting

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

doomsday prepping is my new hobby  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I think they should put a cap on the regular season, say at 72 games. So teams can compete for a playoff spot for a few more games, and then play the playoffs.
Whatever happens, I don't think the playoffs should be cancelled. That would be a waste of a season, and be unfair for teams that have traded for assets. Better just delay the playoffs until later and base who gets in on win percentage.

The problem with that (a cap at 72) is that they would have to completely change the schedule, because, as currently constructed, there is no point in the season where every team is going to have 72 games played.

They will either

a) have to end the season with teams having played a different number of games;

b) completely change the schedule, in terms of who plays whom, or

c) just finish the 82 game schedule as planned.

Edited by Saved_by_Jesus