The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #29

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #29  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #29 Canuck of All-Time?

• P. Sundstrom
    • G. Adams
    • B. Horvat
    • P. Skriko
    • G. Odjick
    • D. Babych
    • G. Courtnall
    • C. Tanev
    • G. Butcher
    • O. Kurtenbach

This poll is closed to new votes

37 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Voted Kurtenbach and nominating Gary Smith.  You gotta remember that players like this actually carried the Canucks for periods of time in the early years.  Some of the players being voted in now were good to very good, but would never be seen to have carried the team at any point.

34 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm almost at Gary myself.  I don't know if people go to the games and actually look up at the rafters and what's hanging there.  But there is a 1974-75 division championship banner that was the only thing the team had to hang at all for its first 12 years.  And it is there almost entirely because of Gary Smith, who was 3rd for goalie of the year and 6th for Hart Trophy voting that season.  And that's with a much heavier eastern bias in the voting back then.

I have Smith coming up fairly soon as well. I'm surprised I haven't heard his name mentioned more yet really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Voting Sundstrom and nominating Hansen again

I'm actually a bit discouraged at this point because it feels like I've been pushing him forever, but I'll keep posting this til he's at least a voting option

Hansen is 20th in games played amongst Canucks, ahead of a few guys who've made it in

He's also 32nd in total points amongst Canucks, impressive given he played mostly a bottom 6/top 9 role 

He was one of the few players we've had over the last decade that you could count on to give his all game in and game out, he didn't take games off

Seriously, Burrows gets a lot of love but Hansen was right there with him as a heart and soul player 

Don't sleep on the honey badger!

image.png.9ee2fb03fb9e051ae3fb5bb97130157a.png

image.thumb.png.6d37f8abe8efbd8e18c939f20b6fea0a.png

GIF: Jannik Hansen trolls Dion Phaneuf for turtling – Canucksarmy

AffectionateFabulousCicada-size_restrict

Vancouver canucks raffi torres jannik hansen GIF - Find on GIFER

Hey wouldn't be too discouraged, it's pretty hard to deny that Hansen was an all-time great player top 50 for us - he for sure is.  Just keep at it some other guys still waiting but not too far and he will be up- maybe even this time out.  Rick Lanz is another guy that needs some love (and not sure he's been nominated yet)....Have both in the 38-early 40's range...we are closing in on that area very soon including the guys already available to vote on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Don't get discouraged.

After the decades of Canucks hockey I've seen, I can't make myself rank him quite as highly as you do.  But I respect your passion for his body of work and your support for him, and he is in my top 50.  It's still quite early to me but the time is coming not all that far down the road where I would nominate him myself.

He definitely has longevity and being a loyal soldier on his side, and a Stanley Cup Final.  But the 1982 and 1994 teams had their Jannik Hansens as well:  probably Lars Molin / Ivan Hlinka / Gary Lupul in 1982, and Sergio Momesso / Murray Craven / Martin Gelinas in 1994.  And none of those six guys have had their names come up...including even by me, which means I am giving Hansen more credit for his long and faithful service than any of his rough counterparts on championship caliber teams.  Including Gelinas who was actually Canucks MVP one year, and Ivan Hlinka who held our rookie scoring record and is a bona fide international legend.

So, that's just to say that though I haven't nominated Hansen yet, I am giving him a lot of credit.

I have little interest in making arguments against Hansen, but I can always make cases for the other players I have in the rankings.

Well said.  Momesso is one of my favorite support players ever - mean mug - memorable moments both regular season and playoffs hulking tough middle six player (and protector of Ronning).  Gelinas is a good example too - mentioned way early in this that he led the team in scoring one year in the dark ages, really was quite the player part of the kid line in EDM last cup and mentioned by Gretzky as one of the players he wanted to play with in Vancouver.   IF this was a list of my 50 all-time favorites instead - both these guys would make the top fifty instead of someone from way back who's greatness to me might back in the late 70's early 80's might have been his stats on a hockey card or in my sticker books, plus how cool their hair or name was.  Hansen played longer then most for us so gets extra credit - and had a lot of heart - but so did these guys you mentioned and some fought often  and were better players.   Honey Badger is a cool name - and like you there is no reason to criticize the nomination - its a testament to him considering who's still left plus who will eventually be bumped out as a result...noticed Murzyn and Fraser were at the end of your list...hard choices...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think I posted it at two points before in the previous 28 rounds of voting, so I figured hey why not post The Biestra News official Top 50 Canucks of all time.  Possibly something to talk about, perhaps it will provide a few options for nominations that would have slipped minds otherwise.

But two things.  There have been a couple of revisions since the earlier postings.  And I decided to go whole hog and give The Biestra News Top 100.

The 100 Greatest Vancouver Canucks

1-9
Trevor Linden, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Stan Smyl, Markus Naslund, Pavel Bure, Kirk McLean, Roberto Luongo, Richard Brodeur

10-12
Harold Snepsts, Thomas Gradin, Alex Burrows

13-20
Doug Lidster, Tiger Williams, Cliff Ronning, Andre Boudrias, Alex Edler, Don Lever, Mattias Ohlund

21-30
Gino Odjick, Ryan Kesler, Todd Bertuzzi, Dennis Kearns, Patrik Sundstrom, Gary Smith, Jyrki Lumme, Alexander Mogilny, Geoff Courtnall, Orland Kurtenbach

31-39
Petri Skriko, Dave Babych, Ed Jovanovski, Darcy Rota, Brendan Morrison, Greg Adams, Garth Butcher, Kevin Bieksa, Kevin McCarthy

40-50
Chris Oddleifson, Rick Lanz, Ron Sedlbauer, Jannik Hansen, Dennis Ververgaert, Elias Petterson, Bo Horvat, Sami Salo, Dana Murzyn, Dan Hamhuis, Curt Fraser

51-60
Paul Reinhart, Cory Schneider, Rick Blight, Dale Tallon, Bobby Lalonde, Ivan Boldirev, Chris Tanev, Barry Pederson, Jocelyn Guevremont, Jacob Markstrom

61-70
Doug Halward, Cesare Maniago, Dan Cloutier, Ivan Hlinka, Wayne Maki, Gerald Diduck, Brock Boeser, Gerry O’Flaherty, Glen Hanlon, Bobby Schmautz

71-80
Willie Mitchell, John Garrett, Martin Gelinas, Sergio Momesso, Bob Dailey, Jim Sandlak, Chris Higgins, Matt Cooke, Adrian Aucoin, Donald Brashear

81-90
Dunc Wilson, Lars Lindgren, Garry Monahan, Igor Larionov, John Gould, Barry Wilkins, Mikael Samuelsson, Ryan Miller, Ron Delorme, Quinn Hughes

91-100
Tim Hunter, Christian Ehrhoff, Jeff Brown, Steve Weeks, Dan Quinn, Lars Molin, Rich Sutter, Alex Auld, Gary Lupul, Russ Courtnall

HM

100-110
Jim Nill, Moe Lemay, Murray Craven, Jim Benning, Brent Sopel, Andrew Cassels, Brian Bradley, Murray Baron, Petr Nedved, Pat Quinn

The Biestra News.  All greatness.  No monkey business.

No monkey business indeed.  That's a great list...Nice that we have such a great group of young guys that deservedly are making a top 100 list right now...some awesome names on this list after 50 too.  As far as mine goes the top 20 only has two different names on it and the top 20-30 two names in the 30's and two of the guys in the 30's I have in the 20s...the 40's is actually close too only two names past the top 50 I have in the list (Aucion and Momesso at 48 and 50...had to put Momesso in because he was a very valuable member of the prime Linden teams, plus playoff games played and heriocs - and Ronnings bodygaurd) but he's right at the end and I haven't quite made my mind about it the order 40-50ish).  You have Salo lower then me but a lot closer then where he actually went on this ranking...and I have Bieksa in the top 20-30...great list - thanks for posting maybe I will post mine when we get into the 30's.

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1