The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Canucks and ducks.

Okay since there's no hockey why not think a lil crazy.......

i was thinking about Ryan Getz and how he showed he still has hands and was thinking he would be the perfect target for the Canucks  if the ducks eat some cap.......

okay let me explain I love Guad but his not a play maker and having a third line center like Getz would give us a three headed monster......not to mention he would be cost controlled....

now the other duck on my wish list is josh Manson .......I think that one doesn't need explained...

now i look at guys like Brock and Guad and stech and see them that could fetch the pieces needed or be enough by themselves if we add picks.....

not to mention the pens won with three play making centres and a centre can also help us raise the value of our wingers like the pens did.....

also if Manson fits with thuggy bear , Manson could have a longer career...look at chara ...

• Vintage 1

Just now, YEGCanuck said:

Man, I would be really reluctant to give up on a young player the team has already invested a great deal. I hear your argrument about centre depth but would rather look at whatever alternatives may be feasible.

I agree but right now getz is still a sold 2 centre on almost any playoff team and he still has hopefully acouple more years before declining into a third line centre and we need to make the most out of petey and quinns entree deals.......

both manson and getz do that. 

Players like Getz and Manson don't come on the market often and for once we could build a package a team would take. 

31 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Who were the pens 3 playmaking centers?

Staal and Bonino?

Both are more checking/ d zone then offensive weapons.

Gaudette on the 3rd will put up the same amount of points if getzlaf was there.

Gaud is younger, cost controlled, has chemistry with JV, loves it here.

You really think getzlaf would be worth the acquistion... 

1 year of  35-36 y/o @8.25m on the third line?

No thanks, save assests and keep gaud.

This shortened season has AG @ 33 points as a 3rd line center.

Getzlaf this year playing a ton of minutes as #1 C has 42 points.

Staal and bonino are both like you said checking centres but they both have above average play making ability, look at the hbk line for the pens. 

also guad didn't go up against top pairing d men all season.......

i think if we added Getz we add leadership and grit and a guy who has a dirty side and for once working for us. 

Also love Guad but Getz can still shut down mcdavid or other top centres thx to his size and speed something I don't see with Guad unless you want to wait acouple years , which will burn up petey's and quinns entee level contracts.....

also means instead of trying to shelter two lines which green did with Guad we could have bo and Getz down the middle so other lines can take more ozone starts. 

Also manson would be the main piece also. 

Its one stop shopping and we get better now and in the future. 

Also Getz might sign cheap after for a chance at a cup and which Canucks could offer....

So why do we need Getzlaf?  Horvat's pretty bullish and strong himself and him and Pete should be getting the minutes, while I'm good with having Gaud feast on weaker lines and D pairs as the 3rd line guy.  Why pay so much for a 3rd line center (unless we can offer some combo of overpriced vets in return)?

Agreed that I'd probably be down for Manson though, brings that much needed toughness and he's cost controlled.

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

i was thinking about Ryan Getz and how he showed he still has hands and was thinking he would be the perfect target for the Canucks  if the ducks eat some cap.......

okay let me explain I love Guad but his not a play maker and having a third line center like Getz would give us a three headed monster......not to mention he would be cost controlled....

now the other duck on my wish list is josh Manson .......I think that one doesn't need explained...

now i look at guys like Brock and Guad and stech and see them that could fetch the pieces needed or be enough by themselves if we add picks.....

not to mention the pens won with three play making centres and a centre can also help us raise the value of our wingers like the pens did.....

also if Manson fits with thuggy bear , Manson could have a longer career...look at chara ...

If this is the criteria

Then why not swap Loui for Manson?(maybe throw in a prospect) :)

46 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

So why do we need Getzlaf?  Horvat's pretty bullish and strong himself and him and Pete should be getting the minutes, while I'm good with having Gaud feast on weaker lines and D pairs as the 3rd line guy.  Why pay so much for a 3rd line center (unless we can offer some combo of overpriced vets in return)?

Agreed that I'd probably be down for Manson though, brings that much needed toughness and he's cost controlled.

We all saw what happens when we over work bo, so adding Getz  takes the pressure off bo and petey.......

getz as a shut down centre would be nasty during playoffs and I think Getz play making ability is far above guads.....we all hope Guad becomes a second line centre so why not upgrade? We know Getz is 2a imho so? It makes the most of us paying Quinn and petey less and maybe Getz will sign a two year contract worth peanuts just to win a cup?(how many times did the Hawks get lucky using that trick)

Also I mentioned Getz hands are still there and he has an high hockey ice so if we can add Getz  as a add on with Manson being the main piece , I explained Getz cause I think we all see the bonus of adding Manson. 

I like guad  and stech and Brock but imho Brock and Manson are the two real pieces in play......

and if the buy outs do happen then we have the space and the space to sign our kids

2 hours ago, the grinder said:

lol @ getzlaf and his 8.25 mill , you realize we need to pay petey and hughes  right ?    we need to get rid of assets like  loui , baer and 1 of sutter or beagle , not  gaud and boesser  , 

Notwithstanding we’re still hamstrung with Lou’s contract for another 2 (or 3?) years.

Sorry, just can't get behind the idea of getting older, slower, more expensive, and not to mention we'd be giving up an asset with untapped potential who will be here, if we're lucky, throughout our competitive years with this core for a guy who definitely won't be here when our new core is truly at it's best. 

• Cheers 1

hard pass  gaudettes a 50-60 point  center next season you win cups with gaudette as our 3rd line center  we have to keep this band together. Get rid of our  under performing  over paid vets asap sutter eriksson  beagle tanev  roussel baertchi  play  not worth 24.25 mill 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

This is thinking outside the box but not sure what the actual trade is.   Is it Gaudette and Stetcher for Getzlaf and Manson and salary retained?  Well we all know that’s not enough.  So maybe it’s Gaudette and Brock.   Love Manson - he’s a veteran that’s most likely going to age like fine wine.   Mitchell 2.0 possibly for us and he’s RHD.    I’d trade AG for him in a heartbeat. 

Getzlaf is probably going to the HHOF...one of the best centres of his generation given his intangibles (not just a regular top ten scorer in his prime - but a leader and tough guy to play against etc).  I see him as a future rental more then anything else - and he’d definitely get a first in return.   AG might also be enough for him on his own depending how high ANA is on him ... 33 points in 68ish games is nothing to sneeze at for a third line center - in his second season. 

Brock for either of these guys is a non-starter.  We need youth in our core and he’s a key member.  If Manson was the same age I’d consider it - ANA would have to add quite a bit for me to consider that. A first rounder for starters.  That would be a fair trade - not good but fair. 

Now here’s the crux of this proposal that been overlooked.  No way we could afford TT as well - his money is going to Getzlaf let’s say ANA retains 3 million to make it fair there.  So the cost of this trade also includes him.   Or we lose Tanev instead.

I’d say we’d be a better team in the long run by staying the course with the guys we have.   AG has some upside to eventually maybe become our second line center.   He’s scoring at the same rate Horvat was in a similar role with less to work with.   Some nights this year he was our best player.   That’s what you want and need from the youth in your lineup- same with JV (some games he was our best player too).   I like that line exactly how it is.   With Ferland or Roussel the grit is good enough too.  

Yes absolutely Getzlaf is an upgrade - however he’s often injured now too, maybe in a lesser role he’d be more durable but it’s a risk from that viewpoint too.   But only for a year or two then I’d say it’s a wash based on age (AG for Getzlaf).  This is the sort of move you make in two or three years when the teams contending and you want to go for it to add depth and improve the lineup etc.   So the timing is also off even if we could afford it. 

This deal means no Brock and no TT unless Manson replaces Tanev, and we get a modest bump on our third line.  That’s a lot less goals...so hard pass. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, canuktravella said:

hard pass  gaudettes a 50-60 point  center next season you win cups with gaudette as our 3rd line center  we have to keep this band together. Get rid of our  under performing  over paid vets asap sutter eriksson  beagle tanev  roussel baertchi  play  not worth 24.25 mill 

Well 50-60 maybe in the top six.  He’s made Sutter somewhat expendable but he’s not as good defensively yet or maybe ever either.   I agree we need to trade some vets to trim the cap so we can re-sign guys plus maybe add TT if the deal is fair (read that some think he’s worth 6.5-7 which is so absolutely crazy - have people already forgotten about the LE deal?  And he had a history of putting up a lot more points)  which to me is at most what Miller is making 5.25 x 4).    TT isn’t breaking out at his age folks.   Expect 3-4 more years at his career average and then regression best case scenario.   40-50 point guy but a goal scorer which is valuable.   We’d essentially be adding a 20-25 goal guy which is what you should expect of your top six wingers.   That’s what LE was supposed to be right?   Point is yes we need to shed some vets - so we can afford to pay our young guys first - and then look to add and roll the dice on similar vets that we are shedding and hope they don’t disappoint.  

It happens ALL the time.  Blue chip UFA vets are almost all getting overpaid for past production- and once they get their “legacy” deal 50% approximately fall straight off a cliff within the first year or two of their deals.  Okposo. Skinner. Duchene. Foligno.  Ladd.  Lucic. LE...it’s a very long list folks.  

For me I’d rather go to the top tier and get a guy like Panarin...still even then some of those guys don’t deliver all the time - Benn and Bobrovsky last season for example.   But it’s definitely way less common. 

Point is TT looks to be a good add - hopefully if we do sign him he won’t lose his desire to play at his best every night as so many do.   And I 100% agree we need to focus on the band we have before looking to plug the holes we do have.   Manson is a reasonable target - but not for Brock.   We’d be better off looking to replace Tanev for free with another UFA, or just signing him. 

19 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

We all saw what happens when we over work bo, so adding Getz  takes the pressure off bo and petey.......

getz as a shut down centre would be nasty during playoffs and I think Getz play making ability is far above guads.....we all hope Guad becomes a second line centre so why not upgrade? We know Getz is 2a imho so? It makes the most of us paying Quinn and petey less and maybe Getz will sign a two year contract worth peanuts just to win a cup?(how many times did the Hawks get lucky using that trick)

Also I mentioned Getz hands are still there and he has an high hockey ice so if we can add Getz  as a add on with Manson being the main piece , I explained Getz cause I think we all see the bonus of adding Manson. 

I like guad  and stech and Brock but imho Brock and Manson are the two real pieces in play......

and if the buy outs do happen then we have the space and the space to sign our kids

This proposal has potential

potential to be Messier 2.0

what makes you think a former Captain of our divisional rival  wants to come here to play 3rd fiddle to Petey and Bo?

What makes you think he comes here and sees a Cup potential team?

He might slide into the Bruins on  deadline day, what with them running away with the league, But he comes here and says , "I brought the only guy that can play D and I will be retired long before this team is ready" " I guess I coast into the sunset"

I like Manson though, I wonder how we missed him playing in Salmon Arm for 2 years before draft day

Do we even have a BC scout?

Edited by lmm

1 hour ago, lmm said:

This proposal has potential

potential to be Messier 2.0

what makes you think a former Captain of our divisional rival  wants to come here to play 3rd fiddle to Petey and Bo?

What makes you think he comes here and sees a Cup potential team?

He might slide into the Bruins on  deadline day, what with them running away with the league, But he comes here and says , "I brought the only guy that can play D and I will be retired long before this team is ready" " I guess I coast into the sunset"

I like Manson though, I wonder how we missed him playing in Salmon Arm for 2 years before draft day

Do we even have a BC scout?

ya our scouting of whl is horrible  whl should be our main  drafted group   not ncaa or europe  not that we dont get good players that way but we miss alot of gems in whl

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya our scouting of whl is horrible  whl should be our main  drafted group   not ncaa or europe  not that we dont get good players that way but we miss alot of gems in whl

yes and as far as I can tell the Canucks have drafted 2 guys from the BCHL, no not Manson, Benn, Hull, Farraro, Fabro, but Chad Brownlee and Andrew Sarauer