The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So if the season doesn’t resume we are or aren’t a playoff team?

We are considered a playoff team - just barely. So we won't be in the lottery.

But even if we were, a 12.5% chance to win is still an 87.5% chance to lose. Given how last year went for San Jose, and for Ottawa the year before that, I'll be happy to at least close the book on handing NJ a potential lottery pick in 2021. Miller is worth so much more than a mid-round pick.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, D-Money said:

We are considered a playoff team - just barely. So we won't be in the lottery.

But even if we were, a 12.5% chance to win is still an 87.5% chance to lose. Given how last year went for San Jose, and for Ottawa the year before that, I'll be happy to at least close the book on handing NJ a potential lottery pick in 2021. Miller is worth so much more than a mid-round pick.

So that pick would be 15th?

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I think we both know our Canucks tankers are going to be all in on this one. 

Oh God, could you imagine the implosion if the Canucks win the play-in and the Wild win the lottery?

I still can't believe the NHL did the lottery now.  Could the crappy teams just not wait a little bit longer and wait for the play-ins to finish to find out where they pick?

• Cheers 1

So essentially, if hockey resumes, we are not a playoff team and have to earn our way into the playoffs, but if hockey is canceled, we are a playoff team and can’t win the pick. Seems about par for the course for the nucks.

Edited by T_Linden
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Oh God, could you imagine the implosion if the Canucks win the play-in and the Wild win the lottery?

I still can't believe the NHL did the lottery now.  Could the crappy teams just not wait a little bit longer and wait for the play-ins to finish to find out where they pick?

Would both teams in the same play in series be assigned the same letter though?

Not sure how it works exactly but I don’t think that if Minny won that that would mean we would have necessarily.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

The lottery is kinda screwy. So a team that is in the play-ins won the lottery. But what if they win their play-in game? I could probably do the research myself but I like being a terrible lazy person.

Only the teams that lose their play in rounds will have a chance at the first overall. 

That’s 8 teams with a 12.5% chance

Just now, N7Nucks said:

So they re-draw with all the play-in teams that lose their play-in game?  

Each one of the losing teams from the play in is assigned a letter.

They draw for the first overall and if a teams assigned letter is picked they win first overall.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

So they re-draw with all the play-in teams that lose their play-in game?  

Yes, 1 re-draw made up of 8 play-in losers. However, if the season gets canceled, it is the bottom 8 team by point % doing a redraw.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Each one of the losing teams from the play in is assigned a letter.

They draw for the first overall and if a teams assigned letter is picked they win first overall.

Just now, ruilin96 said:

Yes, 1 re-draw made up of 8 play-in losers. However, if the season gets canceled, it is the bottom 8 team by point % doing a redraw.

This is wacky. Why the hell did they not just wait? The draft can't happen before the cup is awarded right? Seems unnecessarily complicated.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This is wacky. Why the hell did they not just wait? The draft can't happen before the cup is awarded right? Seems unnecessarily complicated.

The bottom teams, especially Ottawa really wanted to just have a solid idea on the exact position of where they will be drafting.

Not sure if this was posted yet or not, but as per Sportsnet:

• If the NHL does not return to play, the following eight teams (based on points percentage) will have equal 12.5% odds of winning the pick: Canadiens, Blackhawks, Coyotes, Wild, Jets, Rangers, Panthers, Blue Jackets

Let’s hope the season doesn’t get cancelled. Ironically, since BC said no the hub health criteria, we may have created enough concern and doubt in the minds of the players to sink it all when it comes time to vote.

19 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Not sure if this was posted yet or not, but as per Sportsnet:

• If the NHL does not return to play, the following eight teams (based on points percentage) will have equal 12.5% odds of winning the pick: Canadiens, Blackhawks, Coyotes, Wild, Jets, Rangers, Panthers, Blue Jackets

Let’s hope the season doesn’t get cancelled. Ironically, since BC said no the hub health criteria, we may have created enough concern and doubt in the minds of the players to sink it all when it comes time to vote.

I am totally fine with that because it means we give up our pick this year.

I don’t want a season coming up wheee we struggle and the spectre of having a non lottery protected pick going to Jersey hanging over our heads.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Canucks 

Oilers 

Habs

Jets

Flames

Leafs

That's the order of teams I would want Laffy to go to.

Hopefully he stays in Canada.

Would have loved to see him go to Sens today. Too bad they lost out on him. They had a 25% chance wiith their 2 picks combined.