The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Journalist Gloats Over Jordan Peterson's Troubles

Timbermen

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pretty sure I'm hated now actually. 

I wouldn't say that.  You just got a different opinion compared to the majority on this thread, and made some good points too.

At the end of the day I think JP has used his fame for more good than bad.  On nearly all of his lectures you can see many people sharing how JP helped them beat some really evil demons.  

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Isn't that really the issue though, some of Jordan's followers using the same type of cancel culture they purport to hate. It's not necessarily his words that have gotten him a bad rap. It's the way they are used by others. 

thanks for saying that. And I agree 100%

• Wat 10
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@Jester13 @The Lock @BoKnows @JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo @aGENT

thanks folks for being willing to engage in a reasonable way today, I actually learned some things and I thank you for that too, and not doing the childish confusey face pile on thing. 

and @bishopshodan I do. 

I enjoyed the dialogue today.  I hope everyone can confidently say that they learned something new today.

On a side note, Jimmy I think you might be dreaming of confused faces tonight :lol:

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thanks folks for being willing to engage in a reasonable way today, I actually learned some things and I thank you for that too, and not doing the childish confusey face pile on thing. 

and @bishopshodan I do. 

I want to thank you for taking on the burden of the other side of the story. Given how you've been piled on (emoji wise) I think most people on this forum, who see your side, have chosen to stay out of it. 

42 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Isn't that really the issue though, some of Jordan's followers using the same type of cancel culture they purport to hate. It's not necessarily his words that have gotten him a bad rap. It's the way they are used by others. 

That's a societal problem. It can happen with everyone right or left. Happens with Trump with Alt-right, incels, etc. Happens with a guy like Bernie with the radical left, antifa, etc.

People need someone to cling to and are willing to stretch these certain individual's ideas to fit their own narrative. So these individual's ideas get transformed into something that they're not and they can then be scrutinized for something that they're not. Then the media takes that and manipulates the masses into thinking something that's potentially far from the truth.

And that's why I hate the media, the far left and the far right. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and @bishopshodan I do. 

It's all good it just feels to me you see him as the guy across the table, the enemy. Whereas he is the guy on the side coming at you from a different point of view. If you can get that analogy.

I don't even consider him as much of a conservative, he comes across very libertarian in his ideas socially.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it was/is. But lets not pretend that he didn't know that protest would not be controversial and that it would be a popular view with certain demographics, like young conservative males. He also used it to great effect to boost his career. Thats one of the reasons i don't like him, I think he uses these battles for his own gain. 

I agree that he knows what he's doing, and I, too, have always disliked that aspect of him as well and instead prefer Sam Harris, who has ripped him to shreds a few times in debates (and called JP out on his dog whistling), but to be fine with him suffering from what he has and is suffering from and the reasons behind it is a little harsh for moi. 

58 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and @bishopshodan I do. 

Did I miss something? What is with all the confused emojis you're getting?

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think you're giving him nearly enough credit, he's a very smart guy, I think he knows exactly what he's doing. E.g., like with the Islamaphobic picture dude, Peterson uses the excuse of 'free speech' to put his arm around the guy, but he knows that image is going to make the rounds and generate a lot of reaction. How much free press did he get from that? And how many Islamaphobes were happy to see it? do you really not see how that image could do some harm? it was a month before the NZ massacre btw. 

Sorry, got busy...

I think there was certainly some level of self promotion. But I think mostly, it's a case of willingly, decisively walking himself in to a free speech corner. Free speech seems very much his hill to die on.

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry, got busy...

I think there was certainly some level of self promotion. But I think mostly, it's a case of willingly, decisively walking himself in to a free speech corner. Free speech seems very much his hill to die on.

From Wikipedia 

"Peterson says "disciplines like women's studies should be defunded" and advises freshman students to avoid subjects like sociology, anthropology, English literature, ethnic studies, and racial studies, as well as other fields of study he believes are corrupted by the neo-Marxist ideology."

Wouldn't this be the opposite of free speech? 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 4

18 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

From Wikipedia 

"Peterson says "disciplines like women's studies should be defunded" and advises freshman students to avoid subjects like sociology, anthropology, English literature, ethnic studies, and racial studies, as well as other fields of study he believes are corrupted by the neo-Marxist ideology."

No you silly rabbit. An academic field being funded is not related to free speech. Stupid goose.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

No you silly rabbit. An academic field being funded is not related to free speech. Stupid goose.

You do realize that Jordan's claim that he was being censored was because he was denied funding in the form of a research grant? Ironic hey? 

He also launched a website listing professors and academic disciplines that he disagreed with, warning students and their parents to avoid them. 

• Wat 1

39 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

From Wikipedia 

Would/should we tolerate studies in our universities for courses with clear fascist/Nazi ideological influence as well under the guise of 'free speech'?

Marxism is also inherently anti free speech by its very nature, so it would seem pretty clear why he'd have thoughts on it being funded (or worthwhile).

• Like 1