The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Wild name Judd Brackett as new Director of Amateur Scouting

Rate this topic

On 7/9/2020 at 12:17 PM, EP Phone Home said:

The Wild needed to get better and GM BG got someone who has a good track record with Benning. Feels like we brought back the NorthWest Division rivalry. Wild and Av’s in the play in and technically the 2nd round. And now this vinegar sprinkled in makes things spicy.  It’s like the good ol days. 

Those weren’t very good - good old days ... COL was a perrenial contender and just warmed up with Naslund and Co to take on their true rival which was Detroit.   Kind of like warming up with Vancouver in my good old days - playing against CAL or EDM ... so they could warm up to play each other - winner wins a the cup or automatic bye to the final ha because they were that good ha ha ha.    Yes one time we were up and Minny came back and spanked us ... thx to Cloutier who has the honour of owning the worst playoff sp of any goalie who got to play 25 or more playoff games ... .875 ugh.  Ugly is more like it.   Don’t feel nostalgic and one bit or need any reminders either.   Up 2-0 against a top ten all-time team - for that there is a Cloutier too.   Hire him as our goaltending coach - seems to me for everything that could go wrong there is a Cloutier - key the beachball memes.... Lidstrom should write him thank you cards every year.    At least he could fight though right? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The fact that 1040 now uses him as a source truly shows how low they’ve plummeted. The majority of the Benning hatred stems from this pathetic media outlet. The idiots like Brough and Halford, Patterson, and various others ape each other’s talking points constantly. They’re a bunch of idiots. 

I rarely listen to 1040, but hearing these guys through twitter or whatever really only makes appreciate more in the direction of this team because imagine if these guys were running the show instead. For management to ignore media/public pressure and make decisions that actually have been positive to the team despite going against them most of the time takes confidence in what they're doing. I get the feeling even if we win the Cup, they'll still complain about how they would've wanted us to win in a different way or something. They would give credit to say Linden instead suggesting he was the one who brought Benning in because they refuse to give JB an ounce of credit (we are already seeing this with the whole Brackett thing which leads back to this thread).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I rarely listen to 1040, but hearing these guys through twitter or whatever really only makes appreciate more in the direction of this team because imagine if these guys were running the show instead. For management to ignore media/public pressure and make decisions that actually have been positive to the team despite going against them most of the time takes confidence in what they're doing. I get the feeling even if we win the Cup, they'll still complain about how they would've wanted us to win in a different way or something. They would give credit to say Linden instead suggesting he was the one who brought Benning in because they refuse to give JB an ounce of credit (we are already seeing this with the whole Brackett thing which leads back to this thread).

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least. 

21 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

You spent way too much time typing out nonsense.  We are all fans of the Nucks so no one is unbias.

Again all you guys got is Petey and Hughes and the prospect pool overlooking the fact that you need to actually make the playoffs and win - that's the point.  Not building up a prospect pool by being the GM with the longest playoff drought in franchise history.  And btw you need cap space  to re-sign these players, where is it?  Going to ask Loui nicely to walk away? 

I said Benning was a poor man's Milbury and I stand by that statement.  Notice how both GM's strength was at the drafting table - My point has always been there is a lot more to being a successful GM than drafting, yet that's all you Benning supporters got.  For the last 5 years Benning has been learning on the job and I am sick of it - he has to go.  And like I always said - all I need is time and I'll be proven right.  This isn't an argument that's going to resolve itself over night.    

You have an opinion and I have mine so you can go ahead and kept up with the confused emoji's every time someone speaks ill about Benning.

excellent point

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

excellent point

A point that we are on the brink of making it moot. Of course then we hear the complaints that if we make the playoffs that it's supposedly "too early" and we are simply facing mediocrity. Longest playoff drought in franchise history is overly dramatic considering it's only been 4 years (this year han't been concluded) and compare that to some real droughts in the league. It just goes to show how spoiled we have been that even though there are a lot of positives signs to this team, there is too much impatience. Then we have the crowd that thinks we shouldn't even be trying for the playoffs for a couple more years because we are supposedly a couple of young 1st picks away from being real contenders. Can't please everyone it seems.

We have trended up the last 3 or so seasons and arguably the "rebuild" started a couple of years after Benning had joined and around when the Sedins retired. We have one of the most exciting teams we have seen in a while and all of our youth haven't even arrived yet.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

A point that we are on the brink of making it moot. Of course then we hear the complaints that if we make the playoffs that it's supposedly "too early" and we are simply facing mediocrity. Longest playoff drought in franchise history is overly dramatic considering it's only been 4 years (this year han't been concluded) and compare that to some real droughts in the league. It just goes to show how spoiled we have been that even though there are a lot of positives signs to this team, there is too much impatience. Then we have the crowd that thinks we shouldn't even be trying for the playoffs for a couple more years because we are supposedly a couple of young 1st picks away from being real contenders. Can't please everyone it seems.

We have trended up the last 3 or so seasons and arguably the "rebuild" started a couple of years after Benning had joined and around when the Sedins retired. We have one of the most exciting teams we have seen in a while and all of our youth haven't even arrived yet.

Let's not forget how easy it was to get into the playoffs for the first half of Canuck NHL history, when 70-80% of the teams made the playoffs.

i understand some people's frustrations, but IMO as long as Benning can keep learning, and ultimately learn quickly enough, I am happy in the meantime having a better team that needs improvement in how it's managed far more than having a well managed team that isn't all that good.  If we start losing important pieces that aren't being replaced, then I can start start calling for the GM's head along with the rest of them.

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, Pete M said:

excellent point

Is it though? It's only been 4 years and we were due given the cyclical nature of the salary cap era. I would like to know what the expectations were when benning took over? Our team was old, slow and we had one of the worst prospect stables in the league. We haven't won any lottery picks but have made it work. What was a realistic outcome given the product he took over?

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Is it though? It's only been 4 years and we were due given the cyclical nature of the salary cap era. I would like to know what the expectations were when benning took over? Our team was old, slow and we had one of the worst prospect stables in the league. We haven't won any lottery picks but have made it work. What was a realistic outcome given the product he took over?

In addition to the two best players were aging. But doubtful any team would have given you value considering you had to trade the pair of them, despite great production, that was a substantial cap hit. Kind of stuck. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

JB turning the corner by getting foundational pieces such as JT Miller and Toffoli is huge ...hopefully, the placeholders and vets (LE, Beagle, Sutter) who are long in the tooth are the things of the past since our core forwards (Boeser, EP40, Horvat, Miller, Toffoli, JV, Pearson) are already there, or almost there with respect to experience and leading the team, and our pipeline is full of top prospects such as Podkolzin, Lind, Hoglander, MacEwen, Bailey, Tryamkin, OJ, Rafferty, Brisebois, etc

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Benning was handing out the Kool aid that this team goal was to make the playoffs every year because that is how the team best developes.

The first year they made it, but the last four, the team has been the worst team in the league along side of Buffalo.

Every Canuck fan knows this....the homers try to spin the facts though.

Although, they have finally committed to a rebuild the last two years...other than the high draft picks the previous two years, I can argue that they took two years to turn it around with Miller, Toffoli, Myers, Hughes, EP40, BB6, etc.

There has definitely been a change in direction or thought.

Edited by Pete M

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

JB turning the corner by getting foundational pieces such as JT Miller and Toffoli is huge ...hopefully, the placeholders and vets (LE, Beagle, Sutter) who are long in the tooth are the things of the past since our core forwards (Boeser, EP40, Horvat, Miller, Toffoli, JV, Pearson) are already there, or almost there with respect to experience and leading the team, and our pipeline is full of top prospects such as Podkolzin, Lind, Hoglander, MacEwen, Bailey, Tryamkin, OJ, Rafferty, Brisebois, etc

Or perhaps JB knew there would be some tough years to stock the cupboards and loaded up on some placeholder vets for insulation and competition. And with grand slams in EP and QH, it has allowed us to turn that corner to make more aggressive moves in pursuit of the playoffs and get over that hump. Our core players are mostly here, but are not yet the veterans of the group, but they will be conveniently when those "long in the tooth" players' contracts start expiring and can be replaced with the youth that we have in the system.

I'm not concerned about us being in the "longest playoff drought in franchise history" because 1) it isn't exactly a long drought and 2) we have been trending in the right direction over this period and do not look like we will be turning back any time soon.

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Those weren’t very good - good old days ... COL was a perrenial contender and just warmed up with Naslund and Co to take on their true rival which was Detroit.   Kind of like warming up with Vancouver in my good old days - playing against CAL or EDM ... so they could warm up to play each other - winner wins a the cup or automatic bye to the final ha because they were that good ha ha ha.    Yes one time we were up and Minny came back and spanked us ... thx to Cloutier who has the honour of owning the worst playoff sp of any goalie who got to play 25 or more playoff games ... .875 ugh.  Ugly is more like it.   Don’t feel nostalgic and one bit or need any reminders either.   Up 2-0 against a top ten all-time team - for that there is a Cloutier too.   Hire him as our goaltending coach - seems to me for everything that could go wrong there is a Cloutier - key the beachball memes.... Lidstrom should write him thank you cards every year.    At least he could fight though right? 

Very well put. I guess I did say it in a way that made that era as golden as the Sedin one. But coming out of the Messier dark days and having Harold Druken score to put us into the playoffs for the first time in 4 seasons. Of course we did get swept by the Av’s though and we didn’t have our best player and captain in Naslund (Thanks Rhett Warrener) it was nice to see the team move in the right direction from the miserable moose days. The arena gave the team a big applause because they did make the Stanley cup playoffs for the first time in awhile. So it was a bright spot in spite of being swept. It brought us hope.

Then in 2002 we saw the birth of the WCE which brought us the most exciting line in hockey for a few seasons. I remember that push for the playoffs that year, it didn’t look good to make it and we basically had to run the table. We went on a tare to finish the season and clinched a playoff spot with one game remaining against the flames. I recall we could’ve seeded anywhere from 4-8 spot (the bottom four were really tight in the standings) and unfortunately we finished 8th and facing the the Red Wings, presidents trophy winner which would be the second straight post season we played against the leagues best no Salary cap powerhouse. I remember that crazy first game where it was back and forth and Henrik scoring in OT. Then in Game 2 we lit up the dominator again (especially loved Nazzys wrist shot for the 3rd goal) and won 5-3 going into Vancouver up 2-0. Then yes as you put Dan “I like to fight, sometimes like to stop pucks” Couture allowed the infamous beach ball from the redline goal to completely suck the energy out of the team and the ruckus crowd at General Motors Place. We never got back on our legs after that and Wings took us in 6.

Then came the 2003 season where the team won 10 games in a row in November and Dan Couture has the best hockey of his career earning him the player of the month for the “November to Remember” The WCE was tearing up the league and unfortunately we did “choke” in the last few games where we would’ve won the division (although seeing how the Avalanches fate in the first round ended it possibly was a good thing...until the 2nd round) and played the Wild in the first round. Nazzy would’ve won the Art Ross, Hart and Richard trophy. Then we were set to play the Blues who had a healthy Pronger and Al Mcinnes and were a nasty bunch.  We got whooped 6-0 in that first game. We barley won 2-1 in game 2. Then we lost game 3&4 and looking like we were going to submit to the blues. Until Scott Mellanby’s kids caught the flu and gave it to all the blues players. That helped us come all the way back from 3-1 and game 7 was a crushing win with how Bert and Cooke double teamed Blues players with huge hits. I believe we destroyed Mcinnes’s shoulder at the end of the series. Then looking and seeing Andrew Brunette score the last goal on St. Patrick’s career in game 7 in OT that set up our match up with the Wild. The first game will go down as one of the most biggest adrenaline rushes that I’ve ever experienced watching sports. With 2 seconds left in the third period, Matt Cooke scored to force OT. Then role player and Minny hometown boy Trent Klatt scores it in OT. Wild won game 2 but then when it came to game 3 once again there was a very dramatic finish with Jovo Cop scoring with 3 minutes left in the game to force OT and have Dope Sopes score the OT winner that gave us a commanding 3-1 series lead. 
I guess the team and mainly Bertuzzi got ahead of himself and told fans not to lineup for game 6 tickets because there won’t be a game 6. Well he was wrong and yes there was. I absolutely lost all faith in Danny Couts when being up 2-0 in game 7 with a little left in the 2nd Wes Walz scores the most fluky goal behind the net that bounces off Couture and in. The third period meltdown sealed our fate especially once DARBY FREAKIN HENDRICKSON scored the G2G and series winner. That was such a ride of a season. The highs gave me goosebumps and adrenaline but the lows gave me depression and angst. I knew after two post seasons of Couture was not going to get us over the hump.

2004 we had Hedberg as a reliable backup. Of course the tit for tat Steve Moore saga happened that season but overall it was still a decent season.

We beat out the Allstar team Avalanche of Kariya, Selanne, Sakic,Forsberg,Hejduk,Blake and Foote for the Northwest Division and played the Flames. Well surprise surprise Dan Couture in game 2 injured himself and we went with Hedberg for one game and then Auld had to hold down the fort because Crawford didn’t have trust in JOHAN HEDBERG (Donny Taylor fans). We went down 3-2 in the series with it going back to Calgary facing elimination we gave them a game to remember. Up 4-0 then the flames battled back to force OT and then B-Mo scored in the longest Canucks game (at the time) in franchise history. That set up the game seven showdown that had Clutch Cooke score a short handed goal with 5 seconds left that made Jovo in the box look like he was going to break the penalty box door jumping up and down like the hulk. Extremely exciting times being a Canucks fan with these heart stopping goals the last two seasons in the playoffs. Unfortunately this one had not a great ending with the “eliminator” Martin Gelinas who ended our season.

While those days don’t have a true happy ending (and the team is still writing it) I come out of those years with memories of high intensity scoring off the rush goals, bruising hits from the blue line with Jovo,Ohlund and Baron, and sometimes some goaltending but not when it mattered. I have fond memories of those times while it wasn’t the end result we were looking for, it did have its moments to be proud to be a Canuck fan. I surely would take those years over the 1996-2000 ones. So to answer you @IBatch while they aren’t golden days maybe more like the Silver lining on the jersey scheme they wore back in the day. Not great not terrible.

The End

3AC67497-F77B-4F56-8592-3C1C2ADCCDBC.gif

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The fact that 1040 now uses him as a source truly shows how low they’ve plummeted. The majority of the Benning hatred stems from this pathetic media outlet. The idiots like Brough and Halford, Patterson, and various others ape each other’s talking points constantly. They’re a bunch of idiots. 

Burke is an entertaining talker when he wants to be.  I'll give him that.  That's why he's a go to guy on 1040.  But when I listen, I find myself disagreeing with almost everything he says.  It has gotten to the point that when he says, good morning, I find myself doubting it.   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Very well put. I guess I did say it in a way that made that era as golden as the Sedin one. But coming out of the Messier dark days and having Harold Druken score to put us into the playoffs for the first time in 4 seasons. Of course we did get swept by the Av’s though and we didn’t have our best player and captain in Naslund (Thanks Rhett Warrener) it was nice to see the team move in the right direction from the miserable moose days. The arena gave the team a big applause because they did make the Stanley cup playoffs for the first time in awhile. So it was a bright spot in spite of being swept. It brought us hope.

Then in 2002 we saw the birth of the WCE which brought us the most exciting line in hockey for a few seasons. I remember that push for the playoffs that year, it didn’t look good to make it and we basically had to run the table. We went on a tare to finish the season and clinched a playoff spot with one game remaining against the flames. I recall we could’ve seeded anywhere from 4-8 spot (the bottom four were really tight in the standings) and unfortunately we finished 8th and facing the the Red Wings, presidents trophy winner which would be the second straight post season we played against the leagues best no Salary cap powerhouse. I remember that crazy first game where it was back and forth and Henrik scoring in OT. Then in Game 2 we lit up the dominator again (especially loved Nazzys wrist shot for the 3rd goal) and won 5-3 going into Vancouver up 2-0. Then yes as you put Dan “I like to fight, sometimes like to stop pucks” Couture allowed the infamous beach ball from the redline goal to completely suck the energy out of the team and the ruckus crowd at General Motors Place. We never got back on our legs after that and Wings took us in 6.

Then came the 2003 season where the team won 10 games in a row in November and Dan Couture has the best hockey of his career earning him the player of the month for the “November to Remember” The WCE was tearing up the league and unfortunately we did “choke” in the last few games where we would’ve won the division (although seeing how the Avalanches fate in the first round ended it possibly was a good thing...until the 2nd round) and played the Wild in the first round. Nazzy would’ve won the Art Ross, Hart and Richard trophy. Then we were set to play the Blues who had a healthy Pronger and Al Mcinnes and were a nasty bunch.  We got whooped 6-0 in that first game. We barley won 2-1 in game 2. Then we lost game 3&4 and looking like we were going to submit to the blues. Until Scott Mellanby’s kids caught the flu and gave it to all the blues players. That helped us come all the way back from 3-1 and game 7 was a crushing win with how Bert and Cooke double teamed Blues players with huge hits. I believe we destroyed Mcinnes’s shoulder at the end of the series. Then looking and seeing Andrew Brunette score the last goal on St. Patrick’s career in game 7 in OT that set up our match up with the Wild. The first game will go down as one of the most biggest adrenaline rushes that I’ve ever experienced watching sports. With 2 seconds left in the third period, Matt Cooke scored to force OT. Then role player and Minny hometown boy Trent Klatt scores it in OT. Wild won game 2 but then when it came to game 3 once again there was a very dramatic finish with Jovo Cop scoring with 3 minutes left in the game to force OT and have Dope Sopes score the OT winner that gave us a commanding 3-1 series lead. 
I guess the team and mainly Bertuzzi got ahead of himself and told fans not to lineup for game 6 tickets because there won’t be a game 6. Well he was wrong and yes there was. I absolutely lost all faith in Danny Couts when being up 2-0 in game 7 with a little left in the 2nd Wes Walz scores the most fluky goal behind the net that bounces off Couture and in. The third period meltdown sealed our fate especially once DARBY FREAKIN HENDRICKSON scored the G2G and series winner. That was such a ride of a season. The highs gave me goosebumps and adrenaline but the lows gave me depression and angst. I knew after two post seasons of Couture was not going to get us over the hump.

2004 we had Hedberg as a reliable backup. Of course the tit for tat Steve Moore saga happened that season but overall it was still a decent season.

We beat out the Allstar team Avalanche of Kariya, Selanne, Sakic,Forsberg,Hejduk,Blake and Foote for the Northwest Division and played the Flames. Well surprise surprise Dan Couture in game 2 injured himself and we went with Hedberg for one game and then Auld had to hold down the fort because Crawford didn’t have trust in JOHAN HEDBERG (Donny Taylor fans). We went down 3-2 in the series with it going back to Calgary facing elimination we gave them a game to remember. Up 4-0 then the flames battled back to force OT and then B-Mo scored in the longest Canucks game (at the time) in franchise history. That set up the game seven showdown that had Clutch Cooke score a short handed goal with 5 seconds left that made Jovo in the box look like he was going to break the penalty box door jumping up and down like the hulk. Extremely exciting times being a Canucks fan with these heart stopping goals the last two seasons in the playoffs. Unfortunately this one had not a great ending with the “eliminator” Martin Gelinas who ended our season.

While those days don’t have a true happy ending (and the team is still writing it) I come out of those years with memories of high intensity scoring off the rush goals, bruising hits from the blue line with Jovo,Ohlund and Baron, and sometimes some goaltending but not when it mattered. I have fond memories of those times while it wasn’t the end result we were looking for, it did have its moments to be proud to be a Canuck fan. I surely would take those years over the 1996-2000 ones. So to answer you @IBatch while they aren’t golden days maybe more like the Silver lining on the jersey scheme they wore back in the day. Not great not terrible.

The End

3AC67497-F77B-4F56-8592-3C1C2ADCCDBC.gif

Well sh!t.    Got to clap that was a fun read!  You have a better memory then i do about those times.   It was quite the roller coaster.   Great post.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

Benning was handing out the Kool aid that this team goal was to make the playoffs every year because that is how the team best developes.

The first year they made it, but the last four, the team has been the worst team in the league along side of Buffalo.

Every Canuck fan knows this....the homers try to spin the facts though.

Although, they have finally committed to a rebuild the last two years...other than the high draft picks the previous two years, I can argue that they took two years to turn it around with Miller, Toffoli, Myers, Hughes, EP40, BB6, etc.

There has definitely been a change in direction or thought.

IIRC correctly the messaging around the goal for the season(s) was to "compete for the playoffs" or "play important games in March". Making the playoffs wasn't really expected given the state of the team. The general manager can't come out and say "y'know, we have a young inexperienced team with a lot of rookies and place holders. Given the make up of our squad we don't want or need to make the playoffs. We expect to miss the playoffs this year and use our high pick to continue to our rebuild."

You didn't answer my question though, which many anti-benning folks tend to side step: If Benning has failed and deserves to be fired, obviously he has under achieved during his tenure. What was a realistic and acceptable outcome given the product he took over (consider bad team plus no prospects, no lottery picks)?

? D. CV CD 

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Burke is an entertaining talker when he wants to be.  I'll give him that.  That's why he's a go to guy on 1040.  But when I listen, I find myself disagreeing with almost everything he says.  It has gotten to the point that when he says, good morning, I find myself doubting it.   

That’s crabby-talk.   He’s not that bad ... better the most talking heads - if you were talking about Kypreos or Stomopopobobpologitus then yeah for sure.   Hrudey and Ferraro aren’t bad either (although i don’t always agree with them) ... Burke has a lot more hockey knowledge then some of the talking heads, has a connection to the Canucks and thank god we still have guys around like him ... not everyone has to be vanilla personality wise and stroke all the current events just right.   If he sells out maybe I will change my mind.  Him and Lowe going at it is classic stuff now.  “That’s a small body gentleman”... go Hughes! 

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

? D. CV CD 

That’s crabby-talk.   He’s not that bad ... better the most talking heads - if you were talking about Kypreos or Stomopopobobpologitus then yeah for sure.   Hrudey and Ferraro aren’t bad either (although i don’t always agree with them) ... Burke has a lot more hockey knowledge then some of the talking heads, has a connection to the Canucks and thank god we still have guys around like him ... not everyone has to be vanilla personality wise and stroke all the current events just right.   If he sells out maybe I will change my mind.  Him and Lowe going at it is classic stuff now.  “That’s a small body gentleman”... go Hughes! 

you are confusing Brian Burke, ex gm and league due with J.D. Burke a blogger/reporter  who appears on TEAM 1040 as a guest, and from time to time as co-host.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

? D. CV CD 

Ya, maybe.  I was trying to be funny.  But there is very little that I agree with from Burke.   

• Cheers 1

On 7/9/2020 at 9:14 AM, Provost said:

He reportedly wasn't looking for a promotion, he was looking to not get his role reduced which was happening when Benning publicly stated that he and Weisbrod promoted Gear so they could be more involved in the day to day of the scouting department.

When you have two bosses who want to take over your department, it is time to move on to greener pastures where you will have some autonomy to do your job without being micromanaged.

The one comment I saw involving Benning (from back in the thread talking about the rumour he'd be moving on) was he wanted to be more autonomous/have less oversight. There are a lot of people involved at the top though, starting with Benning. Hopefully that means we can afford to lose someone of Brackett's  calibre and it isn't too many cooks in the kitchen.