The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks exploring possibility of trading Brock Boeser

16 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Matt Sekeres: I'm told the Canucks are exploring the possibility of trading Brock Boeser.

Matt Sekeres is an imbecile.   

Smug muppet needs to take the L but he doubled down on his take on Monday. Anything for ratings with 1040. That station wants to keep reporting on Canucks and eat their drama cupcake too. Mayor of wrongville once again Matt. 

6FDFCFCD-1C5F-44CC-8F6E-1489B86EDA6C.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Matt Sekeres: I'm told the Canucks are exploring the possibility of trading Brock Boeser.

Perhaps he is, but there is no way that he just made this up.  I'm sure the news came from a credible source, but I'm not sure that it was the right move to go public with it.

TBH, this rumour wasn't surprising to me.  We need a top 4 dman, and they are expensive.  Looking down our list of tradeable assets, Boeser would probably be the guy to go.  This doesn't mean I like it.  I don't.  I'm skeptical that JB would be able to make a deal like that without getting fleeced., but it does make sense in the grand scale of things, especially if Minnesota is over keen to bring a homegrown hero home, and willing to overpay.   

45 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

Perhaps he is, but there is no way that he just made this up.  I'm sure the news came from a credible source, but I'm not sure that it was the right move to go public with it.

TBH, this rumour wasn't surprising to me.  We need a top 4 dman, and they are expensive.  Looking down our list of tradeable assets, Boeser would probably be the guy to go.  This doesn't mean I like it.  I don't.  I'm skeptical that JB would be able to make a deal like that without getting fleeced., but it does make sense in the grand scale of things, especially if Minnesota is over keen to bring a homegrown hero home, and willing to overpay.   

Except Minnesota doesn't need a Boeser and we don't need any of their D unless someone has a time machine to get 10+ year ago Suter. It's a non starter IMO. The two teams are an ill fit as trade partners for what people are talking about.

I still think a Virtanen + (additional players and/or prospect) package for a young, likely 2nd pair D (with some JT Miller-esque 1st pair upside) is the route that makes the most sense.

Especially with a ready, built-in replacement in Podkolzin likely available a short way in to next season, next spring, when his KHL season is done.

Miller, Pettersson, Toffoli/Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Boeser/Toffoli

Ferland (if healthy... If not, re-sign Leivo cheap), Gaudette, Sutter/MacEwan

Motte, Beagle, MacEwan/Sutter

Eriksson (or for the love of Gord, retire)

Move Sutter towards the TDL, replace with Podkolzin.

Done.

• Vintage 1

On 7/13/2020 at 5:45 PM, stawns said:

Examples? I'd say Petey will come in around $9m, Hughes probably $8.5-9m and Boes at $7.5m (qualifying offer).  That gives you 56.5 to fill 20 roster spots.  Count on Bo around $7m on his next contract, I'd say.

Baertschi, Sutter, Luongo cap recapture, Benn just off the top of my head that is about $1mil right there 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Baertschi, Sutter, Luongo cap recapture, Benn just off the top of my head that is about $1mil right there 

I meant examples of what a lineup would look like with those three in it, plus Bo at around $7m and how the rest of it balances out.  You don't win a Cup with 3-4 high priced players and then garbage at the bottom

2 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Just because your name comes up in trade discussions (as in the Brock Boeser -Zucker deal which the Canucks turned down Boeser as the asking price) .does not imply that that you are being 'shopped'.

This is where I believe Sekeres took liberties."Exploring the possibility of trading' implies that he was being shopped.

Just now, Honky Cat said:

Just because your name comes up in trade discussions (as in the Brock Boeser -Zucker deal which the Canucks turned down Boeser as the asking price) .does not imply that that you are being 'shopped'.

This is where I believe Sekeres took liberties."Exploring the possibility of trading' implies that he was being shopped.

I didn't read it that way and I'm one who would be good with him being shopped.  I interpreted it as they can see they are going to have to make a decision on the cap in the next 2 years and they were exploring the possibility of BB being moved, as in seeing what kind of interest and what kind of return so they can formulate a plan

11 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Except Sekeres literally said in the same breath... “I am not saying that he is on the block or the team is shopping him”.

So you can’t infer that he meant the exact opposite of what he said.

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

I meant examples of what a lineup would look like with those three in it, plus Bo at around $7m and how the rest of it balances out.  You don't win a Cup with 3-4 high priced players and then garbage at the bottom

Training camp will sort out who makes up the bottom of the lineup, plus Ferland contract is moveable to a team needing to add cap. 

Predicting a lineup 2 years from now is as effective as pissing in the wind wadr 

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except Sekeres literally said in the same breath... “I am not saying that he is on the block or the team is shopping him”.

If people can infer that Benning meant the opposite of what he said, then the same holds true for anyone, including Matt.

However I didn't take what Matt said as "the Canucks are shopping Brock", because:

1 that isn't what he said

2 trade deadline long past

3 need all available players for these play in/offs anyhow.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

but it was the unnecessary clickbaitey first part of the quote that elicited the response..It wasn't a 'scoop' at all.

• Cheers 1

I bet canucks trade bo before they do brock, but I don't think either happens to solve the cap crunch. 

baertschi, roussel, beagle, sutter, eriksson, virtanen, pearson, ferland, stecher, tanev, benn, toffoli and maybe even markstrom will be sacrificed before brock is. 

On 7/13/2020 at 5:45 PM, stawns said:

Examples? I'd say Petey will come in around $9m, Hughes probably $8.5-9m and Boes at $7.5m (qualifying offer).  That gives you 56.5 to fill 20 roster spots.  Count on Bo around $7m on his next contract, I'd say.

Unless Hughes starts becoming a finalist for the Norris trophy these next few years. I highly doubt he gets the estimated money everybody seem to think he will get. Ditto with Pettersson. 

My guess Hughes’ next contract is closer to 5-6M, while Pettersson’s will come at around 7-8M. By that time, Edler’s, Sutter’s, Pearson’s and possibly Myres’ contracts will be off the book. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, thundernuts said:

I'm not so sure about that. You'd be amazed at what goes on in certain industries that are desperate for money. When money directly translates to viewership, anything can happen. (ie. MTV and reality shows instead of music videos).

There is a reason why reputable sources generally do a really good job at sourcing their material. While that's a bit harder in the sports world since you probably don't want to expose where some news leaks come from, that's also a really good cover up if you think about it.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

If Brock were to get traded to Minny, then the deal would have to involve a third team.

Minnesota needs a C1 and not another winger.  Staal has 1 year left and has shown his age.  They are so desperate for top-6 Cs that they are playing Galchenyuk at C although all his previous teams gave up on him as a centre.

Everyone covering the team and the main insiders say that the Wild don't want to break up their D-corps but would be willing to if they can get a C1 in return.  

34 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm not so sure about that. You'd be amazed at what goes on in certain industries that are desperate for money. When money directly translates to viewership, anything can happen. (ie. MTV and reality shows instead of music videos).

There is a reason why reputable sources generally do a really good job at sourcing their material. While that's a bit harder in the sports world since you probably don't want to expose where some news leaks come from, that's also a really good cover up if you think about it.

We'll never really know for sure what is said behind closed doors.  Personally, I think it is most likely that Boeser's name came up, and someone let it slip to Sekeres.  Player's names come up all the time.  If you listen to Sekeres' original take, he did not say that Boeser was on the block, or that they were shopping him   To me, this is just an example of a mean nothing story being blown out of proportion, perhaps because, like you say, things are slow.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Unless Hughes starts becoming a finalist for the Norris trophy these next few years. I highly doubt he gets the estimated money everybody seem to think he will get. Ditto with Pettersson. 

My guess Hughes’ next contract is closer to 5-6M, while Pettersson’s will come at around 7-8M. By that time, Edler’s, Sutter’s, Pearson’s and possibly Myres’ contracts will be off the book. 

This. 

The recent comparables for Hughes would be the likes of Provorov and McAvoy. Neither of whom are anywhere near the dollars Stawns and others keep repeating/fearing. And both were pre-covid economy/cap stagnation. That's not going to do good things for player's contracts the next few years.

I'm interested to see what Barzal ends up signing for this summer as well, as that will give us some indication of what to expect for Pettersson. And like you, I think it's closer to $7-$8m.

Look at that, we just saved like $4m in cap space! :lol:

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Benning already shut this down. For those in the back who apparently can't hear.

Canucks. Arent. Trading. Boeser.

Your overuse of periods has convinced me.  

fortune teller GIF

• Haha 3