The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 14, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Don't think the shot total was totally reflective of how the teams played at even strength. They definitely gave up more shots and attempts, but the scoring chance differentials were more even between them. The Canucks even had more expected goals than the Blues at 5 on 5:

image.thumb.png.30beb208ef86b1b6a194590882672924.png

The Blues spending almost a full 6 more minutes on the powerplay than the Canucks also didn't help.

• Cheers 1

Amazing game by Bo and amazing finish.  And yes, the refs definitely gave St. Louis every chance to win. Two dangerous crosscheck of Vancouver players into the boards, with no calls, and in fact a double minor against the Canucks.  So it looks like the Canucks are going to have to beat the opposition team AND THE REFS if they are going to advance far into the playoffs. No secret that Gary Bettman doesn't want a Canadian team to win the cup, and spoil his U.S. TV revenues, and the refs will continue to serve that goal in the playoffs. But its a nice ride for Canuck fans at this point.  I'd like to see Travis Green move MacEwen up to the 2nd line, and bring in Justin Bailey on the 4th, and have those bigger guys lay the body on the Blues, to slow up their 5 on 5 domination. Otherwise, its relying too much on Markstrom to save the day every game. 

1 hour ago, shazzam said:

Virtanen with 5:35 of ice time

As it should be. Canucks need a big, strong sandpaper guy to rattle some teeth, lay out a few Blues to even some scores and he gets a stupid slashing penalty away from the play. He is TG exactly what he expects, next to nothing. I so want Jake to succeed, speed like his is rare for a big guy, he's got million dollar legs and a ten cent head.  At least Big Mac looked good in his fight.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

The most amazing part is how the Blues lost 12 straight to an Eastern opponent. That stat must be ancient. Likely never gonna be broken unless by some miracle they meet in the finals. Lol.

I will not admit to being ancient but I seem to remember the Canadiens beating the Blues 4 games to none in the spring of 1968, 1969 and 1970 They were the first three years of expansion.

29 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My complex here too...people outside during the entire game.  Couldn't have cared less.

I wanted to super soak them.  What is HAPPENING TO THIS WORLD?

It's called globalization....I think. It ruins country identity

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Give the guy a break - like asking Gino or Antoski to score and get a bunch of stats playing 5 minutes a game - it just isn’t going to happen. 

If he were making something happen in those five minutes, he would be getting more time. We need his size to protect our smaller guys, if he went out and did nothing but throw a few hits, he would be seeing a LOT more ice.

• Wat 1

12 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Further to that funny how the panel was saying the Canucks didn’t play very well and no mention of the officiating. Just Blues this and Blues that.

To be honest,  Jovo and Hansen said the same thing on 650, and I would tend to agree with them. Still, to get the win and not be at our best is awesome. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1