The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 16, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Had to know the defending champs weren't just gonna lie down and get steamrolled. We're in a dog fight now. This is exactly what the kids need. How they respond tomorrow will be very telling. I think we gotta get Gaudette back in. Virtanen wasn't terrible but he hasn't been good enough he should be %@#$'n dominating with the weakest defensive matchups as the Blues hands are full shutting down our top 2 lines. 

The loss of Myers was very evident tonight. Myers haters take notice.

Miller Pete Boeser

Pearson Bo Loui

Motte Sutter Gaudette 

Roussel Beag MacE

Hughes Tanev

Edler Stetcher

Benn Rafferty

As long as we keep them defending we're winning we simply can't shut them down so we must stay on the attack. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Take a look at the TOI

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20192020/TH030183.HTM

Fanta and Ben gorbgood minutes and there isn’t enough to take Edler below 20 mins available there. You complaining about a problem and providing a solution that isn’t possible 

Let me clarify. I mean Edler should not go over 20 minutes for a normal 3 period game. If it goes overtime then yes the 20 minute suggestion cannot be followed but the idea of it can. This means that Edler should play at most 6.66 minutes per period. I see that he plays more than that each period and that is when he gets into trouble b/c he is getting too tired.

• Wat 1

I had a few issues with this game. My only real complaint about officiating was the matching minors for Stretch and Perron. Perron went after Stech first and continued the assault into the net. Stech responded. It should have been two for Stech and four for Peron. No problem with the penalty to Jake, it was a blatant slew foot. Stech had a rough game, his lack of size is a detriment against a team like St. Louis. I thought St. Louis did an excellent job taking away open ice. They also really clamped down on Bo's line. I don't understand Travis not trying to keep Petey's line away from O'Reilly. I think TG needs to sit LE and Virt next game. Jake was awful. He made one good play kicking the puck lose on the post creating a chance, but why isn't he throwing that fat body around. Fantenberg played great and was hitting everything that moved. I thought Jake's calling card was his physical game, but the only time he tried to run somebody tonight, he missed.

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Honestly not sure. Noticed him a lot the first 2 games. Not sure why Green wasn’t playing him. There was nothing that I saw that made me think there was a reason. 

Do you know why? Do you think he played poorly this game. When was his last shift? 

Honestly, I think we signed him to be a warrior with a non-stop motor and to get under peoples skin...........

He certainly is not a finesse player, so what is he?

IMO, he is suppose to do more......

Like I say...he is suppose to be a Perron type player

I am not seeing that...........in no way, shape or form

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Honestly, I think we signed him to be a warrior with a non-stop motor and to get under peoples skin...........

He certainly is not a finesse player, so what is he?

IMO, he is suppose to do more......

Like I say...he is suppose to be a Perron type player

I am not seeing that...........in no way, shape or form

Yes fair points. I get what your saying. I guess I was looking for mistakes and couldn’t recall but you’re right we should expect more from him. Kinda like what Sutter has been bringing to the table. Different roles but Sutter is delivering on what he was brought in for 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DonaldBrashear said:

This was a character loss. If that makes sense. We needed to lose, and losing game 3 made the most sense. Going up 3-0 in the series and losing game 4 would be worse IMO. Then you start to get nervous like Blackhawks in 2011. Also, if you are going to lose a game, it is best to lose this one because we play them again in 20 hours. We don't have to sit and dwell for 2 days. Go sleep, wake up and play again. Quick revenge.

I say the Canucks go up 3-1 and then finish them off 4-1 series on Friday night!

Wednesday*

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Whalespray said:

Had to know the defending champs weren't just gonna lie down and get steamrolled. We're in a dog fight now. This is exactly what the kids need. How they respond tomorrow will be very telling. I think we gotta get Gaudette back in. Virtanen wasn't terrible but he hasn't been good enough he should be %@#$'n dominating with the weakest defensive matchups as the Blues hands are full shutting down our top 2 lines. 

The loss of Myers was very evident tonight. Myers haters take notice.

Miller Pete Boeser

Pearson Bo Loui

Motte Sutter Gaudette 

Roussel Beag MacE

Hughes Tanev

Edler Stetcher

Benn Rafferty

As long as we keep them defending we're winning we simply can't shut them down so we must stay on the attack. 

One of the problems was Myers missing, Fanta played well out there. You don’t sit a defensive D out to put another offensive D in when we are already short in that department. 

Rafferty comes in will mean more ice time for the top 4 which are already pushed past breaking point 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Agreed, as long as Stecher is the one getting blatantly elbowed in the head its A-Ok.

Yup.  In the BCHL Schenn would have been ejected 2 or 3 times over for “blows to the head“....in this post-season, but in the NHL it goes unpenalized. Gifted freebies for a former Stanley Cup Champion, I suppose, ‘cuz that’s how Jeremy Jacobs/ Bettman want their truculent hockey to roll.

Any ref with a # 13 or below on their stripes is a suspicious old-school enabler of the “Mark Messier” style of leadership, where elbows, spears or attempts at head-hunting will hopefully beget more violence, excitement, passion, emotion & drama.

When will they truly start to care about protecting the classier up & coming generation of skilled players? The rest of the world does, but at play-off time the NHL still lags behind. 

Edited by viking mama

18 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So many random thoughts right now.

- Concerned with how the Blues have been leaning on us all series. 

- Canucks have been playing with more heart + determination

- Blues we're better overall tonight, yet we had better chances in OT & were a shot away from 3-0. (Great sign normally no?)

- Believe these guys are chapped and going to be ready to play tomorrow.

I don't know. Being a Canucks fan its hard not to expect the worst but this team has so much heart. I think we have a chance to win in 6 or this goes 7. 

Was a bit upset after the game, but thought to myself, I didn't even expected them to be in the playoffs 10 months ago, and we still have the series lead, even if they lose, I shouldn't be upset or angry. They'll get better and understand what it's like to be in a hard fought series! No matter the end result, gonna be fun going forward! 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, cyacry said:

Was a bit upset after the game, but thought to myself, I didn't even expected them to be in the playoffs 10 months ago, and we still have the series lead, even if they lose, I shouldn't be upset or angry. They'll get better and understand what it's like to be in a hard fought series! No matter the end result, gonna be fun going forward! 

No doubt. Would suck losing this though - really feel like we can win. But Myers is a major loss especially against this team.

9 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

I think both Pearson and Boeser are a bit banged up. Both guys looked off.

Boeser is getting checked pretty tightly, but I could only partially focus on the game as there were a lot of people working around me tonight and I was trying to stealth-watch the game.   

Hope we come out tomorrow like we started today.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, viking mama said:

Yup.  In the BCHL Schenn would have been ejected 2 or 3 times over for “blows to the head“....in this post-season, but in the NHL it goes unpenalized. Gifted freebies for a former Stanley Cup Champion, I suppose, ‘cuz that’s how Jeremy Jacobs/ Bettman want their truculent hockey to roll.

Any ref with a # below 13 is a suspicious  old-school enabler of the “Mark Messier” style of leadership, where frequent elbows, spears & head-hunting will hopeful beget more violence, excitement, passion, emotion & drama.

When will they truly start to care about protecting the classier up & coming generation of skilled players? The rest of the world does, but at play-off time the NHL still lags behind. 

That's the way the league wants it though.  They want the winner of the cup to be a team that survives a war.  Not necessarily the most skilled team but the biggest, grittiest toughest team out there.  That's why they allow all this crap.  If you aren't battered and bruised, you aren't worthy of winning the cup.  That's why if the canucks aren't in the playoffs, I only really watch the first or second round.  After that the hockey becomes unwatchable.

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

No doubt. Would suck losing this though - really feel like we can win. But Myers is a major loss especially against this team.

I got us winning in six! 

Edited by cyacry
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

no, you're right in your first thought.  Stetchersjob is to hold the wall, covering for HUghes is not his responsibility.  He was focused on the puck and trusted that a fwd was covering.  Two goals tonight on terrible coverage by the fwds.

Finally some people not blaming Stech for not being in 2 places at once.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

Panic Omg GIF

The state of the forum tonight. Did you guys really think we would roll over the Stanley Cup Champions by going 4-0? Heck there are probably some people here that believe we were supposed to go 16-0 :lol:

We took the defending champs to OT while getting outplayed. We’re still up 2-1 in the series with the chance to go up 3-1 tomorrow. Relax, sleep, and get ready for the game tomorrow. The boys will be buzzing as they look to avenge the loss.

Edited by 250Integra
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Gaudette was a schizo-epileptic deer on acid in head lights in the first game he played.

Would he be any worse that MacEwen?  Virtanen is being under utilized. You can’t expect him to be a 4th line plugger in this series after an entire regular season playing on a point producing line.  I think Green should give Guadette another chance, he’s been playing with Virtanen all year and Sutter is a black hole where scoring opportunities go to die.   High octane, run and gun style with 3 scoring lines is our best chance. We out score our mistakes.  

• Wat 2