The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 16, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

That was an exciting game. A few guys didn’t look good last night though... Boeser looked injured, Stetcher looked good in previous games but tonight with extra minutes looked over matched at times... Virtanen looked a bit better but the guy needs to get in on the forecheck more and lay the body. 

I don’t think laying the body is what’s needed, JV did a lot of physically forcing players off the puck rather then big hitss, which actually is better as we have players which do well in broken play 

Edited by UKNuck96

10 minutes ago, Quinn12 said:

This was the game we NEEDED Guadette in the lineup.. 

Eriksson laying eggs and almost cost us the game..

Edler and Boeser with weak as &^@# giveaways all game long.. 

Refs and Buttman, clear who the NHL wants to win this series..

hahhahahaha

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing this. A bit more physicality on that line and maybe give JV some confidence. Boeser can slot in with Bo and Pearson. Loui drops to the third....

Why?  JV hasn’t done much with his chances ... and hasn’t done much either.   When TT is back (hopefully tonight) he slots in on the third line.   Just because we lost one close game doesn’t mean the musical chairs should start.   This is the same lineup that won five in a row and don’t mess with that.   It’s the only reason things have been this close.  BB isnt getting much because he’s been getting the attention he deserves.  JV also missed the net on a clear break... and isn’t as good as BB is.   He’s also been the odd man out so far as intensity goes - our entire fourth line has outplayed him.   Hopefully TT is ready to go tonight - he’s fresh and would give our third (fourth really) line some teeth.   That sort of edge and boost is enough to keep the advantage in our corner.

• Vintage 1

Couldn’t post last night, was too p!ssed off. Good sleep (19C, air conditioning), now I can reflect.

My hope is that Green and the coaches can yet again adapt to the Blues, uh, adaptation. Bo in games 1and 2 dominated. Blues adapt, and while Bo had an average game, this allowed Petey a little more freedom, and definitely had a better game. The hope and dream is both Bo and Petey can roll in a game.

Excellent change on the power play. The Blues were starting to cheat on the drop pass, and Bam! Miller gets the pass at top speed, goal!

Tip of the hat to both Fanta and Benn, solid, tough, dependable. If Myers comes back, as much I love him, Stecher needs to come out, he’s losing the size battle.

I’m getting tired of this whole officiating thing.

The Canucks took over the Wild series when they used their speed and pushed back against the thuggery. Push back boys, push back. And then GO!!

Go Canucks!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Look at when he started the shift and who else did, he had to go to that wall as the forwards that came with his should have filled that gap, they didn’t and left him out to dry. If he was half way through a shift yeah maybe he should have gone middle but he literally had gone over the boards and got into position 

There is zero question that the primary responsibility to drop back is with the winger. That did not happen BUT the remaining D man Has to have his head on a swivel and react quickly. D is the toughest position to play.

The one thing you can’t do is wait. As soon as Stetcher saw there was no coverage he need to move. He didn’t start moving until the pass was made 

there are multiple breakdowns on that play; Quinn made a bad decision to jump in (puck was not open), winger didn’t drop back, Stecher didn’t move off the wall into the middle of the ice 

Don't know if this has been said, but

When the Ref's put their whistles away, it plays right into the hands of the Blues. They are a bigger/meaner team than ours and without Myers big body clearing the net and giving some push back , we are in trouble. Then to have that call on Jake was just the straw that broke my back.

The game is corrupt, NHL is controlling the outcomes through officiating etc etc. point shaving???

In my humble opinion both the USA (FBI) and the CRA ? should launch investigations. this is just too blatantly obvious to me .

What kind of person would place monetary bets on the outcome of these games??? describe please

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

There is zero question that the primary responsibility to drop back is with the winger. That did not happen BUT the remaining D man Has to have his head on a swivel and react quickly. D is the toughest position to play.

The one thing you can’t do is wait. As soon as Stetcher saw there was no coverage he need to move. He didn’t start moving until the pass was made 

there are multiple breakdowns on that play; Quinn made a bad decision to jump in (puck was not open), winger didn’t drop back, Stecher didn’t move off the wall into the middle of the ice 

Totally. Three bad plays there.

43 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's not how it works. A forward is supposed to cover. If Stecher slides over, then two defenders are out of position....

Duh 

that is Hockey 101 pal... thanks for the clarification. There is no issue the winger failed (bad line change) 

when that does not happen what do you do? Say oh well that’s not my guy? No you cut over immediately, not after the pass is made 

no you have your head on a swivel and move. 

it’s maddening when people that have never played the game do not realize the coverage priorities. Yes there are primary responsibilities that Timbits kids understand but there are failsafe moves that are just as basic 

Interesting choices by the refs there

edit: there was also zero urgency in our game - we should have smelled blood in the water and finished em off - had ample opportunity to do so but chose to play half assed at times

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Vintage 1

REFS -

We can either call all of the penalties, but then that would mean several PPs for the Canucks.

Or we can call none and let them duke it out 5 on 5. Well, except when there's 2:00 left in the game, STL deserves a shot to get back in the series. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Duh 

that is Hockey 101 pal... thanks for the clarification. There is no issue the winger failed (bad line change) 

when that does not happen what do you do? Say oh well that’s not my guy? No you cut over immediately, not after the pass is made 

it’s maddening when people that have never played the game do not realize the coverage priorities. Yes there are primary responsibilities that Timbits kids understand but there are failsafe moves that are just as basic 

Shift time was 8 seconds, that includes the chase back and the goal, he got over the boards went to cover his side of the blue line as he should, and pretty much the pass was going. 

I agree in most circumstances as a D you need to cover for others poor positioning but he didn’t get a chance to. If he was on the shift before Hughes went deep then fair enough but he wasn’t 

the whole play was a breakdown of multiple cogs. Stetcher was the one left hanging out to dry 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Cheers 2

I actually liked that the refs just let the game go and didn't call much at all.  The Canucks played well against the Blue last night, they played more physical than game 2 which was nice to see.  It didn't seem like the Blues were just walking all over them this last game.  I can understand Green's frustration when suddenly the refs find their whistles in OT, after going 2 full periods without them, but that was a stupid move by Jake too.

Boeser came alive in the last 3 minutes of the 3rd period and in OT, but he did not look good for the rest of the game.  Not sure what's up with him.

Eriksson needs to sit.  I'd rather see Gaudette on Bo's line than Eriksson.  If I have to watch Eriksson fumble one more puck, make one more giveaway, one more missed net...

• Thanks 1

Also it's not that the league wants us to lose but it's definitely in their best interest to have a longer series than 4 games re a $&!#ty year financially and added commercial revenue from the extra games - that said as stated above we could have finished em off tonight if we played with more urgency!!

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I believe Stecher was involved in all 3 STL goals. Great guy, big heart, probably tries harder than anyone, but the Canucks need an upgrade here. I appreciate him wrestling, or whatever that was, against Perron. Great that he stepped up, but D wins championships, and Stech doesn't defend well enough.

Watching Virtanen, I wondered how in the he** did he score 18 goals last year? He just isn't that good, he's not that smart, he reacts too slowly, he makes bad decisions, he doesn't use his size enough, he lacks confidence, etc. Enough. Get Gaudette in there, I wanna see some cellies. 

And what's wrong with Boeser? Started the playoffs against MIN like he was on fire, fast, gritty etc. He doesn't look the same.

Tonight is a must-win. 

I agree with all of this, except maybe Gaudette.

I do not see, from his only game that he was ready to play a big mean StL team.

I would add that we had a tough game on the right side, ( missing Myers ) Stetcher looked over matched, Benn and Tanev looked fine, but I would not be surprized if Tanev got injured in the next 2 games. But Right wing was not good, Not Loui's best game- penalty, Jake and Boes looked like boys against men and Zack looked a little lost as well.

Unfortunately I think the StL size and pounding is getting into some of these guys heads.

As good as Marky played yester, he needs to steal tonights game

we need someone other than Bo, Petey, Miller and Pearson to score

Just now, UKNuck96 said:

Shift time was 8 seconds, that includes the chase back and the goal, he got over the boards went to cover his side of the blue line as he should, and pretty much the pass was going. 

I agree in most circumstances as a D you need to cover for others poor positioning but he didn’t get a chance to. If he was on the shift before Hughes went deep then fair enough but he wasn’t 

Trust me he was the third mistake in a series of 3 mistakes

that said if he reacted quicker he had an angle to get over 

it was a very rough game for Stecher. I love the kid but he simply was too small for that game yesterday. He had a rough game. I think he will not be I. Our plans next season similar to Hutton 

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Duh 

If the dman pinches his partner needs to stagger typically shifting to the middle and off the blue line unless 100% certain of success.

Not hard. Stetcher screwed up...but 7 made a risky decision and there wasn't a winger. 2 bad plays and 51 didn’t read and react.

You know it's a bad read when the camera shifts too quickly and the viewer is like wtf where did he come from?

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Why?  JV hasn’t done much with his chances ... and hasn’t done much either.   When TT is back (hopefully tonight) he slots in on the third line.   Just because we lost one close game doesn’t mean the musical chairs should start.   This is the same lineup that won five in a row and don’t mess with that.   It’s the only reason things have been this close.  BB isnt getting much because he’s been getting the attention he deserves.  JV also missed the net on a clear break... and isn’t as good as BB is.   He’s also been the odd man out so far as intensity goes - our entire fourth line has outplayed him.   Hopefully TT is ready to go tonight - he’s fresh and would give our third (fourth really) line some teeth.   That sort of edge and boost is enough to keep the advantage in our corner.

Toffoli is back tonight? Do you have a source for that?

As far as Virtanen goes, we both have our opinions on that and as far as the "musical chairs" thing goes, Greene tried exactly what we're suggesting. If you want to talk about someone "who hasn't done much with his chances", the conversation should start with Boeser and he's had a lot more chances than JV.

Switching it up a bit might benefit both of them.